Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: can we help the Tundra Trucks

Default can we help the Tundra Trucks

Ok guys just a thought cause I was young & dumb & full of ***** once
    Can we ask these guys to come on here & try to help with thoughts or ideas to get these things out of there. Just a thought but there is enough junk around & I know I pack out what i see & i am sure a lot of others do to,we a large community here & if we are all as smart & capable as we think we are we can become part of the solution & poss help to make things right.
    I am not sure what the attemps have been but if we stop bashing them (yes they deserve it ) & start helping them maybe this can go away.

just some thoughts might be worth a try

ahhh how long till moose season?

Its too late for a little hard work to get them out, its gonna take equpment that one cant carry or drag in there to the vehicles now. Nobody even knows what they are allowed to do or not allowed to do as far as using motorized vehicles. Lots of good advice has been given already. No team of 5-10 guys is going to hike in there now at -40 degrees and manually get the job done with the current seasonal obstacles. A day late and a dollar short I reckon!

Thumbs up way to go, Jeff.

I just thought of a belated Thanksgiving blessing...
    people like you.

Frank

And the State of Alaska could film it and make a documentary video for their web sites, of what not to do. Besides the F&G, BLM, DNR and other employees need to experience the real Alaska, as opposed to the one they are familiar with in their cubicles. Excellent gesture, but far too many don't have a clue what the endeavor would entail. Most think it is a grueling feat, just to get a caribou out, what would it really be like to get two trucks out? This will be a monumental task, requiring untold resources and the very best equipment available.

Thumbs up Thanks, Jeff

Well said, Jeff.....

These individuals have been excoriated quite enough here. There is a place for society to say loud and clear that this behavior is not acceptable, but now it's time to help them pick up the pieces and move on. All of us have made mistakes, big and little, but life goes on.

Most of us don't have the expertise to be able to help out with this. But I hope that someone; or several someones, will step forward with good advice.

And then I hope that we can give it a rest. These guys have been reviled enough. At this point, they need help and encouragement.

David

Quote Originally Posted by jeff p View Post
    Ok guys just a thought cause I was young & dumb & full of ***** once
    Can we ask these guys to come on here & try to help with thoughts or ideas to get these things out of there. Just a thought but there is enough junk around & I know I pack out what i see & i am sure a lot of others do to,we a large community here & if we are all as smart & capable as we think we are we can become part of the solution & poss help to make things right.
    I am not sure what the attemps have been but if we stop bashing them (yes they deserve it ) & start helping them maybe this can go away.

just some thoughts might be worth a try

ahhh how long till moose season?

Default The problem is being addressed

As a friend to one of the guys who made this era in judgement, Once BLM gives the ok both the trucks will be removed from the tundra. They all recieved fines from the state and they will be getting fines from BLM once the trucks are removed.

Default luvtohuntak

Quote Originally Posted by luvtohuntak View Post
    Once BLM gives the ok both the trucks will be removed from the tundra.
    Maybe as a friend it would help relieve some of the negative pressure if you could explain the above statement. Everyone expects that the trucks "should" have been moved or "could" have been moved. If BLM has "not allowed" the men to remove them, then that would help explain some of the situation.

Are you able to explain to help us out?
    "Never again shall one generation of Veterans abandon another".
    Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Default Daveinthebush

This is true, BLM is monitoring this situation very close and will be there to supervise when the trucks will be removed. Right now everything is in place to remove the trucks with the least amount of damage to the tundra. Now they have to wait for BLM to say the tundra and weather is good to go and get them...Hope this helps.

luvtohuntak,

I like how you say that "an era (error) in judgement", makes there acts seem so innocent. I'd like to read the Police Blotter that states what fines they got. I am far from getting soft on these guys anytime soon. They have broken world records for intelligence and "judgement"!

Default judgement error?

Not to sound holier than thou, but this whole situation is a little more than an error in judgement. The situation these guys have gotten themselves into is the result of a series of conscious decisions. They didn't get to where they are now due to circumstances beyond their control. Their actions represent not only a severe lack of judgement, but also a pattern of disrespect for the law and ethics as well as an amply demonstrated foolhardy lack of preparation for and understanding of the hunting conditions in Alaska. What they have done reflects poorly on all of us as hunters. As a veteran, I think I have earned the right to say that it also reflects very poorly on the military.
    If there was something I could do to help these guys out of this mess, I would, but sugar-coating the situation by calling it an "error in judgement" is not helpful in any way.

Default Luvtohuntak

Luvtohuntak: Thank you for the response. If the movement of the trucks is dependent on the BLM, and it is the BLM's decision to wait in order to decrease the damage to the tundra, then I think some of the pressure should be taken off of the guys.

True, they screwed up. There has been enough said about that. So everyone can probably sit patiently now and await the BLMs decision as to when to move them.

As I stated before: Since the case is still open, you may not hear or read of any fines until all damage is totaled.

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaCub View Post
    luvtohuntak,

I like how you say that "an era (error) in judgement", makes there acts seem so innocent. I'd like to read the Police Blotter that states what fines they got. I am far from getting soft on these guys anytime soon. They have broken world records for intelligence and "judgement"!
    Respectfully Please dont hijack my thread I didnt start this to continue bashing them,this thread is for helpfull info to resolve or better understand what is going to get them out of there. Thanks for keeping this thread clean.

Didn't realize I was hijacking a thread, that for the umpteenth time this thread to help these gusy has been posted. It sounds like according to luvtohuntak they got it all figured out, just waiting on BLM's blessing. How many times do you need to post that they need driveable equipment and industrial heaters with the off chance of a ride from a helicopter. The thread hasn't been going in a forward direction for a while Jeff, no disrespect to you intended.

Default luvtohuntak Question for you

This is true, BLM is monitoring this situation very close and will be there to supervise when the trucks will be removed. Right now everything is in place to remove the trucks with the least amount of damage to the tundra. Now they have to wait for BLM to say the tundra and weather is good to go and get them...Hope this helps.
    Are they prepared to remove the vehicles or not? Do they need assistance or gear? Appears as though some are willing to help out, but there is obviously no one to coordinate the responses and develop a plan of action. Could you post up the coordinator (or would you be willing to be that person?), with contact information. Have them state whether or not they would welcome assistance, and if so, what do they need?. Thanks

Now they have to wait for BLM to say the tundra and weather is good to go and get them..
    Now is the time. It was in the mid 20's up there today and that is +20 not -20. It ain't going to last so they better get to it..

Default Tundra trucks

I don't really know what to say here. I have kept mums the word but feel I should say something. Nice or not.

I love Alaskans as they are willing to help pretty much anyone. This more than sums that up. LOL

What I don't get though is the mentallity of these guys. And then the people that feel sorry for them.

Here is how I look at it. They messed up really bad. So financially fine them reallly bad and make an example out of them. Yep for all to see.

Then get the darn trucks out and move on. Otherwise leave the trucks there for a reminder of what happens when you mess around on the haul rd.

I agree with Jeff P, stick to the post's subject, they made a huge mistake and are paying for it now. Either volunteer to help or leave it be.

Default yep

John, I agree. I think if one looks they can easily see about 10,000 views (!!!!!) on the combined posts about this situation, and many, many criticisms.
    375ultramag, its just time to fix this deal. God forbid you (or I) should someday make a mistake or screwup in the field. Youth is served.
    How much does a couple of guys have to get beat up before something positive is said or done?? Another month of that? Many of us just want the trucks moved and want these guys to make good and move on.

Frank

Default Information

The trucks are apparently ready to be moved but the guys are awaiting permission from the BLM.

Until the BLM gives them permission, they are probably going to sit there.
    Last edited by Daveinthebush; 11-29-2006 at 18:14. Reason: sp.

Default Patience, the gov'ts involved

If BLM is involved they are waiting for the same conditions to exist as when they issue permits for tundra travel in the oil industry. I have worked up north for the past 10-12 years, typically BLM has say on depth of frozen tundra. This is important to federal permit stipulations to drive on tundra and start building ice roads. Once tundra permits are issued theoretically these guys could hire a D6 and providing they don't do any additional damage to areas blown free of snow cover, they could drive right to the trucks. ( We use D6's to help build ice roads up north.) If someone was really wanting to lend these poor chaps a hand and losing sleep over those trucks sitting up there, pool your money together and hire Crowley and one of their low impact tractors. I hear its only about $12,000.-$18,000, for a quick job like that.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast