Thread: Got my first Bou

Default Got my first Bou

I had the pleasure of being able to come up there and take my first Caribou last week. I should be getting the rack tomorrow and I would really like to keep the velvet on. What do I need to do to the rack. This is the first animal I have ever gotten with the velvet still on in all the years I have been hunting. It is not the biggest one out the but VERY much a trophy to me. Thanks in advance for any help you can give me.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I am not sure of the tricks for keeping the velvet. Looksl iek there was another in your party that scored big too. I see the other one in the background! Congrats!

Thanks we took 3 that morning and the one in the back was a nice bou. That was the most unbelieveable hunt I have ever had the pleasure to be a part of. Maybe one day I'll get to try my hand at a big ol moose.

Give the tannery a call if you live in Fairbanks and they'll take care of you. I think it is 185 bucks to get them dipped, takes about 7-10 days I think. Congrats

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

do know that you only have a short time to get it preserved before it starts to rot though... better get on it.
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

How long will it be between the kill and when you get it? you want to preserve it as soon as you can, preferably in the field. When you get the rack if there are no signs of rotting you can try to preserve velvet. The way I preserve velvet is injecting denatured alchohal at the points till it runs clear at the bases. Then rub all over the rack. If they velvet is starting to rot or show signs of peeling you might consider removing velvet and washing the blood off the best you can.

Talking

Thanks guys but, I think I'm screwed. I got it last week and there was no signs of it coming off and I didn't do anything to it. I should be getting the rack today I'll see what I can do. I live in Georgia I could only wish I lived up there in God's country with you guys. Yes I'm very jealous of Ya'll.

I asked my taxidermist how to preserve velvet once when I was in his shop. If it's not already too late, hang your antlers with the tips down. Poke a dozen holes in the end of each tip and let them hang over night to drain the fluid out (it may be to late for this and they may not drain much). Next take a pin, start at the tips poking a few hundred holes all around the antlers all the way up to the bases. This it to get out any air bubbles.

This one may throw you, mist the velvet down with paint thinner twice a day. This is supposed kill any bacteria.

Of course this is all supposed to be done in the first couple days, so good luck.