Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 300Wby Throat Gone - 338Win Mag back up

Default 300Wby Throat Gone - 338Win Mag back up

My 300Wby has given up the ghost. The throat is gone and accuracy has gone out the window. Had it confirmed today. That leaves me without a back up rifle for my Arizona hunt.

So I decided to take my Ruger Mk II 338Win Mag out of storage (it was in a friends business safe that was climate controlled) to use as a back up for my hunt.

It has had 15 factory rounds through it before I put it in storage. I was so busy at that time with my Weatherby's like my 257-300Wby that I did not have time to play with it.

I do not have time to work up loads with all that I have to do at work before I go on my trip. I will purchase some Double Tap ammo loaded with the 200gr Accubond so I can really reach out there if I need to in a certain open area, that is if we hunt that area. So if my 358Win gets damaged I will have the 338Win Mag as a back up.

Here is the 338Winny with the scope off the 30-06 a VX-III 2.5-8x40mm.

A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Smile way to go...

Now your talking. Great combo, .338 Win Mag., Ruger rifle and a 2.5 x 8 by ? VXIII.

Hard to beat a 338Win mag for getting the job done. It was a bummer to have my throat gone in my 300Wby. It happened between 800-900 rounds. It was not a Weatherby Krieger barrel, it was a Shilen barrel that was put on an old German Mark V receiver. It always was a rough barrel and fouled easy, I never really did like the barrel because I had to clean it to often to maintain accuracy. Now it shot great but had to keep it clean. I Will have a Krieger or LiLja barrel put on it some time next year.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Went to the range to fire a fouling round then a three group so as to save what few rounds of Remington Factory 225gr Core-Lokt ammo I have, hoping that my bore sighting was good and I would not have to fire a second three shot group.

Well my bore sighting was exceptional this time and you will see where the bore sighted fouling shot is taped on the target. Then I made an adjustment with my Leupold because I felt I really shot that round well not moving the cross hairs.

The group minus bore is 1 3/4" and good enough for being an emergency back up for my 358Win to hunt with. After firing this three shot group I made a very small adjustment on windage to the left and adjusted the elevation where it was at 2.5" high. Average velocities with the Rem ammo was 2771fps.

Here is the target:

Here is the average velocity chrony reading:
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Got to digging around in some old boxes in the back of my shooting room and found another full box of 338Win mag 225gr Core-Lokt just like the ones I used to sight in with so my back up is good to go.

I had better lighting today and here are some better pictures of my 338Win.

A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Time to rebarrel that Weatherby...
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

Quote Originally Posted by Float Pilot View Post
    Time to rebarrel that Weatherby...
    Yeah, it will have to wait until after the first of the year before that can happen. There are many more possible factors outside what the shooter does and it can be a combination of all the possible factors even quality of barrel when a barrel gives up the throat.

I never fired rapped with the rifle, I always let it cool some between rounds. It went from good accurate groups that I was use to getting to 6 and 8 inch groups with the same hand loads that had been shooting so well. I cleaned out the rifle chamber and throat area completely and know that because we used a bore scope to make sure and that revealed the problem, the bore was really bad. I took it to a gunsmith so he could double check my conclusions and he verified my findings. The barrel was not a stainless barrel but I know the next one will be stainless.

Also, I never was over 1 or 2% above any book load max with my 300Wby and that was with only a few loads that I shot. As I said this was a barrel that would really foul fast and I could not go 20 rounds before accuracy would begin to slip a little.

I am a person who really babies his rifles and certainly how I shoot them at the range. I will admit in my 257-300Wby I over did it some with hot loads but that was because it was new ground and no real standards to go by but never rapped fired that one. This barrel really puzzles me because I have done nothing different with it than I ever did with any of my 300Wbys.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Quote Originally Posted by beartooth View Post
    I never fired rapped with the rifle
    Beartooth... did you mean rapid? I read almost all the way through your last post and wasn't sure that was what you mean but I am now. Not trying to be a smartass, just lettin ya know.

That 338 looks nice, how old is it? I bought the same rifle except in stainless and synthetic and I really like it.

I really enjoy your posts, your pictures are always great. You'll have to post more pictures of Africa, my wife and I loved looking at those.

Take care, schmidty

Now your talking! A Ruger 358 Winny backed up by a Ruger 338 mag!

Your in great shape Tooth!

I like those Rugers so well that I've named my last three dogs "Ruger"!

Quote Originally Posted by schmidty_dog View Post
    Beartooth... did you mean rapid? I read almost all the way through your last post and wasn't sure that was what you mean but I am now. Not trying to be a smartass, just lettin ya know.

That 338 looks nice, how old is it? I bought the same rifle except in stainless and synthetic and I really like it.

I really enjoy your posts, your pictures are always great. You'll have to post more pictures of Africa, my wife and I loved looking at those.

Take care, schmidty
    Yes, that is what I meant, sometimes I type to fast and don't pay attention. Thank you for the correction.

The Mark II was bought about 4 years ago, it is the three positions safety, with the heavier 24" barrel and with the scope it weighs 9.9 pounds. As I said earlier it has had as of yesterday 19 rounds through it.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Quote Originally Posted by elmerkeithclone View Post
    Now your talking! A Ruger 358 Winny backed up by a Ruger 338 mag!

Your in great shape Tooth!

I like those Rugers so well that I've named my last three dogs "Ruger"!
    Now that is just to funny indeed. But come to think of it, that would be a cool name for a hunting dog.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Too bad about the Weatherby. I really like my .300--it has been abused but still keeps shooting nice little groups. By abused I mean instances like rolling the ATV into a nice big mud hole and having nothing but about 4" of barrel sticking out of the muck. I've never rapid fired mine either, but I also haven't put nearly that many rounds through it.

As for the Rugers, do you notice any difference in the quality between the Mk II and the Hawkeye? I don't have much experience with either, but based on my limited observations, I would say Ruger took a step down when they switched to the Hawkeye. I always kinda liked the Mk II. It seemed like a quality rifle, but I had a bad experience with a Hawkeye.

Anyway, we're all looking forward to some field reports on these two rifles and loads.

Quote Originally Posted by c04hoosier View Post
    Too bad about the Weatherby. I really like my .300--it has been abused but still keeps shooting nice little groups. By abused I mean instances like rolling the ATV into a nice big mud hole and having nothing but about 4" of barrel sticking out of the muck. I've never rapid fired mine either, but I also haven't put nearly that many rounds through it.

As for the Rugers, do you notice any difference in the quality between the Mk II and the Hawkeye? I don't have much experience with either, but based on my limited observations, I would say Ruger took a step down when they switched to the Hawkeye. I always kinda liked the Mk II. It seemed like a quality rifle, but I had a bad experience with a Hawkeye.

Anyway, we're all looking forward to some field reports on these two rifles and loads.
    I don't notice any difference in the quality of the MK II (three position saftey version) and my Hawkeye's except for the better feeling stock on the Hawkeye and the flat finish on the Hawkeye as apposed to the polished finish on the MK II. Triggers are suppose to be better on the Hawkeye but he MK II's I have have great triggers, guess I got lucky with them.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

I guess I just got a lemon when I bought that Hawkeye. $&!+ happens, but what turned me off completely from Ruger was their extremely poor attempt to remedy the situation. Too bad, because I had plans to buy more of their guns. I won't now, though.

Quote Originally Posted by c04hoosier View Post
    I guess I just got a lemon when I bought that Hawkeye. $&!+ happens, but what turned me off completely from Ruger was their extremely poor attempt to remedy the situation. Too bad, because I had plans to buy more of their guns. I won't now, though.
    If through the years I decided not to buy from Remington, Savage, Sako, Winchester and Weatherby, which I have had bad products from all of the above then I would not have enjoyed my 35 Whelen from Remington, my 7mmSTW from Savage, my 308 from Sako, my Model 70 from Winchester and my 257 Weatherby (I have had many more of each of these brands).

Now that said, for the last 30 years I have had Ruger rifles, 22's, Auto rifles, bolt action rifles, revolvers and pistols. Had trouble with one rifle. And out of all my years of rifles, hunting, shooting and load development, if I had to choose only have one rifle to use it would be a Ruger M77.

Sorry you had that experience but like I said, glad through the years in owning so many rifles that I did not give up on the companies because I had a problem. Nothing is perfect and neither are the rifle companies.

I have also own Tika, Browning, Marlin, and some others.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Oh yeah, which I post on this forum, I had a scope hole on a new Kimber 8400 Montana tapped wrong. Still got another Kimber 8400 in 30-06 and truly enjoyed it. Of course I am sure you will find something out there from one of the rifle manufactures that will make you happy.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

What would you guys consider normal barrel life for the .300 roy...I have 165 Hornady GMX' leaving at 3400 out of my custom vanguard...Very hot but safe loads, but I know this is not going to give me maximum life. I have put about 60 rounds through it so far and honestly, this gun will probably not get shot too much.
    375 Ruger Hawkeye...Mice to Moose, Impala to Buffalo....1 GUN.....WORLDS PURSUIT

Quote Originally Posted by beartooth View Post
    ... it is the three positions safety...
    Ok, ok, I know I'm probably missing something but I dont understand the whole '3 position safety' thing. Its either on safe or on fire, correct? Are you considering 'between on/off' a 3rd position?

BTW, I agree with schmidty, the pics are always great...though I must've missed your Africa lot...

The three position safety functions like so. All the way back locks the bolt and trigger, In the middle or first click forward allows the shooter to work the bolt but trigger remains locked, all the way forward game on- ready to fire.

Quote Originally Posted by hunt_ak View Post
    Ok, ok, I know I'm probably missing something but I dont understand the whole '3 position safety' thing. Its either on safe or on fire, correct? Are you considering 'between on/off' a 3rd position?

BTW, I agree with schmidty, the pics are always great...though I must've missed your Africa lot...

When I get a chance I will post the African pictures again when I was in Tanzania
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast