Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Moose harvest

Default Moose harvest

Was wondering how everybody on the fourms does moose hunting wise. If you guys get one every year or every couple of years. Just wondering how successful everyone is?

Angry live and hunt the valley only. Before and after work

I see many moose thru the season, have them grazing within 30 feet of me at times. Call in Bulls @ 5 times a season and none are ever legal. So go fiquere?
    The bulls are just not here in numbers anymore. Every five years or so I get lucky if I don't draw a cow permit.

Personally moose are just not a priority species for me. I've done pretty well on caribou over the past 5 years or so, but not so much in the way of moose. I'll shoot one if I see a legal one, but it's not what I spend my time pursuing. Since we already have two caribou in the freezer, I'll be shifting my focus to bears as fall progresses.

Default Successful since 2005

I have not personally shot a moose every year but my group 4-5 hunters have been successful in harvesting 1-2 moose per season and we split the meat amongst us. Last year when we had 10 guys in camp we took three. So, I'd say we've been pretty successful. And I'd say we owe it to patience, patience, patiece. Moose are in the woods. You just have to sit long enough to see them.

I have few restrictions here, can hunt the cows and bulls, in their seasons, can just pick up a tag for free.....

..........and I still only shoot a Moose when I have to...........if iI really, really want one I can see 5 or 6 at any given time from the bluff at our "Uptown", looking down or up river.

..................... or just after lunch, along a grassy river bank, with a light wind blowing, with a relitivly empty boat, with lots of kids to help, a place already cleared at home to hang such, neighbors in need, some room in the freezer when mars is aligned with Jupiter, the wife is happy, its sunny out, its a young bull with a round fat butt a chubby face with small palms, maby 2-3 years old and were heading home at the time.

Then 'maby', but it has been done.

Im up to my neck in Caribou, I can never tire of it....though, Muskox has been my "Moose" for many years.....
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

I am 1 for 4. Killed a cow in Delta in 2007 with a draw tag. Other than that I'm still waiting to get a legal bull.
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

well that makes me fell a little better im about at 0 moose in five years

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

NOt many places left for me to go and not know where to find a moose...
    I get one each year. skin half dozen more. i can only attibute my ability to the fact that i am ALWAYS hunting... if nothing more then looking.

and that i spen a LOT of time in the field during the season. if i dont shoot one this year it will be because i let the kids shoot it. as the wife just did...
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Default Keep at it

Quote Originally Posted by pike_palace View Post
    I am 1 for 4. Killed a cow in Delta in 2007 with a draw tag. Other than that I'm still waiting to get a legal bull.
    As mentioned below I've been part of a successful camp since 2005. I shot my first moose last year (2008). I came to Alaska in 1998 and was legal to hunt since 1999, so you do the math before I got my first moose.

Default Keep at it.

Quote Originally Posted by alaskankid13 View Post
    well that makes me fell a little better im about at 0 moose in five years

See below.

Thumbs up keepin at it.

Your darn right. Ain't gonna kill any moose sitting here BSing with you guys! We're headed for Eureka area this weekend. My friend has some private property and a few trails that go out of it on to some public so maybe, JUST MAYBE, we'll break the bull-less streak.
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

legal bull every year......last 8 years have been like this

2008: denali hwy spike/fork
    2007: wolverine creek drainage (palmer) 36" 3 brow tines
    2006: pt. mackenzie 51" 2x1 brow tines
    2005: pt. mackenzie spike fork
    2004: sixmile creek drainage (kenai) 47" 2x3 brow tines
    2003: pt.mackenzie spike fork (archery)
    2002: pt mackenzie spike fork
    2001: pt.mackenzie 45" 1x3 brow tines (archery)
    2000: little su river float spike fork

2009: yet to be determined but should have an entry this upcoming week

notice a pattern? 2011 should be a good bull in pt.mack hehe

my buddies and i used to hunt exclusively in pt.mackenzie/ big lake area since they had a cabin there, but they sold the property and we've been expanding our hunting locales with good success. however, i just mite hafta check the old killin fields next week. the 3 spike forks i killed in the same hayfield, at the same time of morning. weird huh?

Default were thankfull

for the luck of a cow draw this year and got one the first day in an area we always ride in. I couldnt believe we were almost the only ones there.

It seems like all my friends have their 2 weeks off and get the opportunity to spend alot of time hunting. Being self employed doesnt give that opportunity very much. Just a weekend hunter most of the time and always have come up short. But i still love sitting in the woods anticipating the big one listening to mother natures soft voice.

Our last moose was 5 years ago and another cow permit. So thankfull again that we got drawn.

I did take off a couple days 2 years ago and go hunt a registration area up by healy but it was so frustrating being the first ones in every morning before light and every time we stopped and watched, someone would ride past us and shoot a moose 5 minutes past us!! We would move farther up the trail and stop and watch and again someone would go past us and 5 minutes later BAMM!! Two days like this and finally the area closed..

I think this was a really good question asked

Hunt&FishAK you put me and my record to shame

Default Not too bad

Got one the last two years 1st one fork, 2nd one 54", saw a legal bull this year but passed it up because I have got enough meat with this years caribou and last years moose/caribou.

My moose hunting is already done, due to me having to report back south for duty. But I hunted about 5 days, and helped get two moose out of the woods on two different days, both of which still had velvet. I stalked another 2 on 2 different days, a 55" and a 60" , but they didn't really respond to calls at all. Really bumed me out to watch them mosey off into giant alder forests. But for only being in the woods 5 days i had a ball with a bunch of moose, i learn something new about them every time i go out. I got half a moose for helping get it out of the woods and basically gutting it for the guy, so it was still a productive year. You boys have me pretty jealous, it was just starting to get hot up there when i left!!!!
    The Second Amendment.......Know it, love it, support it.

Also, a friend of mine got himself a Bullmagnet calling horn, ohhhhhhhh man! it sounded pretty dang good! We sent him down a hill to call and see if he couldn't coax a big bull out of the brush, I couldn't believe the bull wasn't tempted, cause that horn sounded exactly like a moose. Anyways, just some field tested product info for ya
    The Second Amendment.......Know it, love it, support it.

Default just my thoughts

I am not sure if this statistic is true but was passed on to me by a guide, 17% of the moose hunters that go out in search of a legal bull get one---so less than 1-5. Of that 17%, 75% get one with a guide. I hunted 2 years for moose--the first was around others---and I saw a lot of cow/calves in a any bull area--but I was still learning---so I came home and put down a deposit to be flown out into the bush in an area friends had gone and had success previously--I shot my bull at 11am on opening day. I would say the key to success is locataion/location/location, but always have the rifle ready if you see one in a legal area just off of the road!!!

I first have to say that, like Vince, I used to spend a ton of time out looking around the Kenai for a legal bull. Nowadays, I head north to moose hunt. I have been successful 11 times, two biguns, 2 medium and 7 spike fork style. I've been in AK 17 years with 4 years in mooseless Kodiak. I head north again on Sunday, I can't wait for this vacation. Not looking for a giant, so the first decent bull seen will be down, hopefully.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast