Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Busted hunt trip

Default Busted hunt trip

Well, this season's much anticipated (by me) hunt trip turned into a huge fiasco.

First, my neighbor was kind enough to invite me to join him and his friends on a Moose hunting trip. I was very grateful for that as all my hunting buddies have moved back to the lower 48 and I've been doing fruitless solo hunts ever since.

They left a week before I could as I had to cover my store and, the day before I was to leave, they came home successful which was great for them and meant I had to come up with a plan B. Initially, I was going to hunt the RC-860 registration hunt on the Taylor highway but when I looked at the emergency orders, I found it had been closed before it even started so, I decided to go up to the Taylor highway anyway on a solo hunt and try out the any bull season there. I had bought a new truck tent (see pic below) and was anxious to try it out. The tent worked beautifully but the air mattress was a horror story. It filled most of the truck bed which, at first, seemed like a good idea but it didn't leave anywhere to actually stand or kneel that was a solid surface. If anyone has ever tried to arrange clothes for the morning, crawl into a sleeping bag and get it zipped up to protect against the very cold nighttime temps while on an air mattress, you'll know why a arthritic, somewhat overweight guy with bad knees would have trouble. Oh yeah, I have a blown disc in my back and the first night on the air mattress set that off again.

But enough about me. How about the other 47 ATV's traveling on the same trail I was on? I went out on Monday before the season started to gather some firewood and scout for a place to sit and within 5 minutes there were 6 guys that went past me. The other guys in camp were all great guys and nobody partied all night and all were friendly enough. I just wasn't sure I liked having that many guys in the woods when they probably knew where they were going and I had never been there before so I was somewhat handicapped.

Now back to me.

The part that finished it? On the morning of the opener, the heater wouldn't light, I was in near agony with my back and when trying to get dressed in the tent in 25 degree temps, I ended up with a big time charlie horse that I just couldn't get rid of. That's when I did something I have rarely done and I gave up. Just gave up. Six hours later I had the camp completely packed up and I jumped in the truck and drove over 300 miles back home.

My father told me this would happen eventually and, while I knew he was telling the truth, I'm having to face the fact that my hunting days might just be about over and I'm not feeling to good right now. I live for hunting season.

Two months of planning, one month of preparation and a year's worth of anticipation and this photo is all I have to show for it.

Thanks for letting me vent.

Talking

I hope you don't think this is at your expense, BUT...

That is some funny SHAT right there!!!!

I am sorry things didn't work out for you, though. REALLY.

Taylor

Default ouch dude

Try this on for size. Its light and there is plenty of hard surface to get dressed in just around the perimeter. You can also easily transport it where ever the other hunters are not.

Chiropractor recommended!

Seriously.......sorry that hunt burned ya so bad. Hang in there and find some other hunting partners that will help you out more.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Better Days

An optomist isn't someone who thinks today is the best ever, it's someone who thinks tomorrow will be better.

Hang in there - better days are coming & soon.

Go again.
    And again untill you score.

Sometimes even the best Hunter gos home with nothing.
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

Default Your not alone!

I can relate to the body saying Stop Stop Stop! However hunting and fishing is what my life has been about. I have really started to make compromises last couple years and I would gladly trade my three bad disc's for one! That being said I think your partners may have been a bad pick. They seemed to leave you hanging. I think I would have approached some of the guys you saw at the site and struck up a friendship - ask if you could "join in " perhaps and learn the area. I think what you need is some better planning and a good friend to share your travels. There are always days that make you just want to piss on the campfire and leave - but deep down that's not what will make you happy. Regroup and learn from your mishap.
    There is always something special about a sunrise when you are out in the wilderness that puts new vigor in the old body - I hope you have many more to enjoy! Good Luck!

IT is now time to purchase a sweet track rig or a remote cabin in prime moose territory...or both.

Default Sorry about the blown trip...

Now is the time to regroup, and meet new folks for hunting partners. Personally, I had to give up a trip to the Dalton for a tonsillectomy....still hoping to go yet this month though.
    The responsibilities of being self employed are tough though; tomorrow is a new day....and there are more times to go. Do you have a snow machine?
    Cow tag in 20a once the ground freezes and snow flies is a thought....

Never give up! I am over 50 and overweight as well. I have had 3 back operations and i would die before i quit. I sleep in the front of my truck often and change clothes outside. Yes some time very quickly when its cold outside but it can be done. I never run the engine to warm up unless its the end of the day. I cant move as fast as i used to but thats ok. I just keep at it. Enjoy the outdoors and hunt as hard as you can and above all you just have to keep a good attitude!! a glass half empty attitude just does not work. Keep at it better days are ahead if you go after them!

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

come on up bob...

by the time you jog in the 26 miles behind my wheeler... you'll be in great shape as all those young guys

you'll feel better watching me sleep on that huge cot and sweat by the wood stove...

but since you like roughing so much.. i will let you stay in the lean too.. that way you still feel invigorated...
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Quote Originally Posted by Smokey View Post
    ... That being said I think your partners may have been a bad pick. They seemed to leave you hanging. I think I would have approached some of the guys you saw at the site and struck up a friendship - ask if you could "join in " perhaps and learn the area.
    No, it wasn't their fault, I knew all along when they were heading up, I just couldn't join up with them until a week later. They got lucky and filled their tags quickly is all.

I did get to know a few of the guys in the campground but most of them were in huge groups or were loading up the ATV's to head down the road quite a ways. No room for another ATV.

Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post
    come on up bob...

by the time you jog in the 26 miles behind my wheeler... you'll be in great shape as all those young guys

you'll feel better watching me sleep on that huge cot and sweat by the wood stove...

but since you like roughing so much.. i will let you stay in the lean too.. that way you still feel invigorated...

Wow, whatta guy.

Smile me too...

Back surgery, knee surgery, arthritus in the knees, fat and out of shape because of my lack of disipline and a sucessful career that puts me behind a desk, thats me. But, if I want to bad enough I can lose the weight, that will help the knees and back. I can get in better shape if I commit to it. I don't have to walk and climb as far as I used to. I am a better hunter then I was when I was young and strong and full of endurance. I don't see as good as I used to, yet I can still shoot. I appreciate the hunt more then ever and probably won't pull the trigger when we do our upcomming Koyukuk moose hunt. My 2 friends can shoot and I will be a big part of their success. They are hunters, in there late 30's, good natured hard workers and strong as hell. Here is my philosophy and I hope it helps. "Never let the things you can't do stop you from doing the things you can". I do not like getting old. My strength, endurance and speed are slowly leaving me. But, I would rather die in moose camp then an old folks home. Last year my knees were so bad my son-in-law had to help me take my old L.L. Bean Shoe Pacs off in the wall tent. I lost 7 weeks this summer due to a bulged disk in my back. Woe is me. Every once in a while I have to look in the mirror and tell myself to, man up, suck it up, and get out and do the things I love so much. So my my friend, make new hunting friends, don't quit. Would you like to borrow my mirror?

Two months of planning, one month of preparation and a year's worth of anticipation and this photo is all I have to show for it. Quoted

That is a funny statement, and sorry to hear your hunt didnt work out. I think you just need to rethink what it is that your doing. I hunt, but with the young kids with me, 8 & 5 yr old girls, my sit and watch the woods time doesnt last that long with their attention span on hunting.

So, i just enjoy the outdoors time away from work and if i see something i shoot it. Now that being said, i dont ever get to shoot something unless its got wings and looks like a chicken or white with 4 legs and eats carrots on the cartoon channel. But i enjoy the heck out of just getting outside and "hunting with the family"

Good luck

Default Don't give up CHANGE

I've hunted all my life. The time has come for me to trade big game for rabbit hunting with my grandson. I'm 70, have had 2 heart attacks, 4 back surgeries amongts other stuff.
    Sure I reflect on all the Sheep hunts etc. etc. But I did it when I could. Now I get lots of satisfaction in training the 13 year old.BTW he's out of school this week on his first Moose hunt with Dad in unit 20. Hope he, they, score.
    Moral do not give up. Example, when I drew a Kodiak Bear tag I shot my Bear at 9:30 PM on the 15th day. Good luck and keep at it.

Thanks for all the words of encouragement guys. I guess I'm just having a tough time facing the fact that I can't do all the things I used to do and also that none of the young ladies swoon when I walk into the room anymore either.

Quote Originally Posted by Bookseller View Post
    Thanks for all the words of encouragement guys. I guess I'm just having a tough time facing the fact that (1) I can't do all the things I used to do and also that (2)none of the young ladies swoon when I walk into the room anymore either.
    1. None of us can do what we once could (35+ crowd)

2. I've been in your store. I seriously doubt that many young ladies were swooning over you
    ><((((>.`..`.. ><((((>`..`.><((((>

"People who drink light 'beer' don't like the taste of beer; they
    just like to pee a lot." --Capitol Brewery

Quote Originally Posted by Bookseller View Post
    Thanks for all the words of encouragement guys. I guess I'm just having a tough time facing the fact that I can't do all the things I used to do and also that none of the young ladies swoon when I walk into the room anymore either.
    You can always come out to the house after work and help me poke around in the woods around the house....offer still stands.

Quote Originally Posted by Phish Finder View Post
    I've been in your store. I seriously doubt that many young ladies were swooning over you
    You obviously didn't know that Bob invests weekly in AXE Body spray....

Heck Book, come grab Johhnnny and Jim, you'll have a ready made hunting party. Jim is one heck of a work horse when it comes to hunting. He's the first person all his friends call when they get a moose! And Johhhnnyy.....oh lord, they would both keep you in stitches!
    I still have to go find me a bull, and Jim has his archery cow tag......come on out! You won't go home without meat.

PS. We had one of them there tents, it had one trip out and was sold the next month!
    "In the interest of protecting my privacy I will no longer be accepting Private Messages generated from this site and if you email me, it better be good!"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast