Thread: Fly tying vise. where to look next?

Default Fly tying vise. where to look next?

Guys i have been on ebay and craigslist and not much there. i am looking for a used vise. Nothing fancy as i am just going to be tying Sockeye flies. I just dont have a lot of money to throw at one. I have a 20.00 Cabelas that works but its a peice of junk to say the least. I have kept an eye on the for sale area here on the forum and nothing. Some one must have a decent vise out there they are selling because they upgraded or dont tie any more. Any ideas?

here's a good one to keep an eye out for...

Griffin Superior 3ARP Fly Tying Vise

Default New, but...

Here's a link to the vise I use. Comparatively speaking, it's inexpensive, but I have been using it for years and love it. It's true rotary, will hold all hook sizes (at least all of 'em I've needed) and is very durable and simple to use. I actually bought the fly tying station and tool kit after I received the vise as a gift. I've since upgraded to a much bigger desk, but that seems to be the way it goes. You might want to start small, but if you're like most of us, the hobby will snow ball into a habit... or should I say an addiction? As with all things, buy the best you can afford. This vise is a great value, IMHO.

http://www.btsflyfishing.com/catalog/page4-5.htm

Scott, I've often wondered about that vise.

I'm a dynaking man. Got into commercially tying for a few years and teaching some class's (may get into that again this winter), I have the pro and the sidewinder (full rotary)...but I will admit they are NOt by anymeans cheap even at wholesale prices! The sidewinder definatly is a fly specific vise, but man alive you can crank out some serious numbers in a hurry on it and still maintain quality! When you're tying 300+ dozen flies over the course of a few months, every second behind the vise counts!

Definatly buy the best you can! I can't say how many people have shown up to class's with 15 dollar kit vises that are better used as paper weights! I will add here..you DO NOT need a full rotary vise, they are nice to have and have their purposes...once you learn how to use them. But until then it's a more of a fad that if you're looking for a lower end vise to start on I wouldn't pay for unless you can across a smoking deal like on Scott's vise or a used rotary of some kind!

I will say stay away from the regals unless you have paws like sasquatch. It's the vise I tried comm tying on to start with and learned real quick that if you plan on tying any AMOUNT of flies, this is NOT the vise for you! It'll tear your hand up in a hurry!

Lastly if you buy used...check the jaws out and make sure they are still in good working order...IE FLAT, and not grooved (unless machined that way) or missing pieces near the edges which is from people shooting or ripping hooks out of the vise. The regals can really zing a hook acrossed the room if you're not careful! LOL On the lower end vises the jaws are not always of great quality of steel which means poor durability. If you come acrossed a vise and there are nicks on the inside of the jaws...I'd look for something else! Mind you if you plan on only tying larger hooks on it and these nicks are from smaller hooks you can be OK......maybe

Default I'm no commercial tier.

Yeah, I'm definitely not a commercial tier, so I can't attest to how well this vise would hold-up after 100,000 flies, but I've been using it for recreational use for nearly ten years with no problems. Some of the black paint, or anodizing or whatever it is, is scratched-off around the tip of the jaws, but it still holds 22's and 2/0's with no trouble. I don't typically tie anything smaller or larger than these two sizes, so I can't say on those. I agree that the true rotary vice is not absolutely necessary but after using one for this long, I can't imagine going back now. I don't really use it much for speed tying, but occasionally I'll wind thread with the rotary function, or large hackles. The real benefit to the rotarty for me, is the ability to spin the fly in any direction to trim (particularly with hair bodied flies; irresistibles and mouse patterns are my two favorites)

Like most, I started on one of those cheap kit vises, and man what a difference this vise makes. I have considered upgrading to a more expensive vise, but I've come to the conclusion that my vise works perfectly for me, so I'd just be trying to keep-up with the "latest and greatest."

For the money, I haven't seen a better vise than the Danvise.

Good advice on buying used Tradbow, sounds like you definitely have the experience to add. One of these days I'd like to take an official class to help me speed-up my tying. I learned on my own and while I'm content with the quality of my flies (at least the fish seem to like 'em), some of them take me 15 minutes or more each so I'd like to get faster. John Gierach says he learned to tie faster when he accepted his first commercial order and Ak Best says you can't really know how to tie a pattern until you've tied a hundred dozen of them, so I guess I may never get really fast I do enjoy the pursuit though, and there are few things that can satisfy like catching a fish on a fly you've tied yourself.

no doubt Scott, catching fish on flies you tied no matter how long it takes...fun stuff!

Speed ISNT everything though! I'm a horribly slow dry fly tyer. It's almost ebarrassing lol. But hey I get the job done and they catch fish...which is all that matters.

If you have bests books he had one that was a great read and I cant remember the name of it, but it'll definatly help with tying a bit faster.

Most vises you can turn however they are not a true rotary per say. It's definatly nice to have a true rotary...once you learn to use it!!!

On your hair flies...like mice where you're shaving the bottom flat. I spin a bunch of bodies up...then go to trimming. Also have found that turning my vice towards me a bit really helped getting the profile even on both sides. It is quicker too, win win. Now if I could figure out how to tie the 7 hook 7 hour frog faster..shew. I'll have to dig that one out and get a pic for ya. Fun stuff but I dont think I'll be tying that one again anytime soon .

There's a ton of great fly tying sites...look up fly anglers online. or faol in a google search. I dont post but I do puruse the boards a bit. Lots of good how to's, great recipes to learn from..just lots of goodies!

get yourself a renzetti traveler and you'll be set for 10 years
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

I tie on a Griffin Spider Vise. It is inexpensive new, as vises go. It rotates but I don't think it is what you would call a true rotary. I haven't used any of the really high end vises but for recreational use I believe this one to be very hard to beat. Excellent hook hold with this vise.

Dan

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/links/link.jsp?id=0011287316244a&type=product&cmCat=SEAR CH_all&returnPage=search-results1.jsp&Ntk=Products&QueryText=griffin&sort=a ll&Go.y=3&_D%3AhasJS=+&N=0&Nty=1&hasJS=true&Go.x=2 3&_DARGS=%2Fcabelas%2Fen%2Fcommon%2Fsearch%2Fsearc h-box.jsp.form23&_dyncharset=ISO-8859-1

Ok, so you know you get what you pay for.. I been there done that... I'll second monkey !! Get a renzetti traveler if you can afford it.. I started with a Griffin it wasn't up to the task... And now have a renzetti traveler..

Default Renzetti traveli

received my first renzetti travel with pedestal base as a gift at twelve years old an have been tying with it for the last 13 years without issues. I tie flies from 18 to 2/0 with it. Only had to replace the rubber band on the vice that keeps the tension once after it broke.

Default Nor-Vise

I bought a Nor-Vise and I like it alot, you can really make some strong flies that don't fall apart all the time. Its kinda spendy but it makes tying so much easier, especially since I learned on it. But, just my thought.

Default Hmmm.

Quote Originally Posted by Cody77 View Post
    received my first renzetti travel with pedestal base as a gift at twelve years old an have been tying with it for the last 13 years without issues. I tie flies from 18 to 2/0 with it. Only had to replace the rubber band on the vice that keeps the tension once after it broke.
    I have always liked the look of the Renzetti vises, but I'm not too thrilled to hear that there's a rubber band that keeps tension on the jaws. The Danvise is a cam-lock vise and for 80 odd dollars new, I haven't had to do anything with it in a decade of use. I also like the rorary handle on the danvise better than most. It's just like a reel handle, easy to grab with two fingers. I have tied with a couple of other vises that had just the single rod out the back and it always felt awkward trying to spin the vise with one finger.

I have been curious about the Norvise. I watched a couple of videos online that were pretty impressive.

Rubber band doesn't keep tension on jaws..... I have taken it off and mine works fine... All rubber band does is help hold rear cam assembly together. Actually rubber band is a o ring too...

Quote Originally Posted by aksportfisher View Post
    Rubber band doesn't keep tension on jaws..... I have taken it off and mine works fine... All rubber band does is help hold rear cam assembly together. Actually rubber band is a o ring too...
    If you take the rubber band off, doesn't the cam assebly fall apart? I have the Presentation 2000, and it looks like it will fall apart if the band breaks or is taken off.

Default vice $99

When buying a vice to just tie large flies like you are talking about $100 will get you even better then you need. Try Hook & hackle.com they have a good vice for $99

You can get a discount also on that site with timing of order

Good luck