Thread: Grouse 2.....

Default Grouse 2.....

Grouse: 2 vs. my pup & I: 0. Took my 9 month old pup (german wirehair) out this past weekend for our first grouse adventure. I have never been grouse hunting before, so it took some time for us to locate them. Once she picked up a scent it was on like donkey kong. She definitely bumped one and another flushed at 30 yds as we were coming to edge of a clearing. I looked in the tree tops but couldn't locate either of them. There are more then a few rabbits in the area, so I'm not sure if she was tracking the rabbits or grouse or both. Can't wait till this weekend to do it again.

I've often wondered how my Wirehair Jack Russell would do on a grouse/rabbit hunt. He's goin' on 8 yrs old and never took him out.
    America...land of the free, home of the brave and infiltrated by the blind & naive.

Psalms 109:8

Default Grouse

I think this time of year most of the grouse will be on the ground correct? if you flush them, they will go to trees..... Thats my experience at least.

Question Question For New Guy

Brand new to the area and have only done some minor small game hunting in Oklahoma in the past. Really wanting to go for some hares and grouse. My daughter is really looking forward to it. Hares - no problem. See them all over as we drive and are fishing. Exaactly when do you want to take them (when do they taste the best)? What is the best way for a newbie to get some grouse? Thanks for the help.

Quote Originally Posted by gpaul99 View Post
    I think this time of year most of the grouse will be on the ground correct? if you flush them, they will go to trees..... Thats my experience at least.
    I've been out a grouse hunting a lot lately and you are right. I walk around in the sort of areas they like to hang out until I flush some out (I get lucky quite often so I must be doing something right). Every time this happens it amazes me how I can actually see which tree they fly into yet I still lose a good few, they have absolutely excellent camouflage.

Interestingly enough, I had a harrier swoop down and steal an injured one I had shot last week.

Quote Originally Posted by BDES4 View Post
    Brand new to the area and have only done some minor small game hunting in Oklahoma in the past. Really wanting to go for some hares and grouse. My daughter is really looking forward to it. Hares - no problem. See them all over as we drive and are fishing. Exaactly when do you want to take them (when do they taste the best)? What is the best way for a newbie to get some grouse? Thanks for the help.
    Lots of previous topics about both. Get the hares when they are white for safety (?) and taste--months with an "R" in them. Grouse show up a lot on the roads after a good frost. Look for berries, especially lowbush cranberries, but highbush cranberries, blueberries, rosehips etc are productive. I seem to find lots of grouse on south-facing bluffs that have berries to eat and gravel/dirt exposed. Have you seen bird baths in the dust before? Spruce grouse taste better when the berries are accessible before they start eating spruce needles. This year's birds have smaller breasts and lighter, less gamey meat. Ruffed grouse are always light-colored meat and milder from my limited experience. All the ruffs I see have alder trees in the area.

Thanks. My daughter has been excited about being to actually go shoot with dad at something other than coffee cans with something other than BBs. When I told her about hares and grouse she went off. Now we know where and when to look.

The grouse I have found have been hiding in berry territory mid morning to late afternoon, then along trails picking up gravel to help digest their food. 13 in one flush...scared the **** out of me, I thought it was a bear coming after my ass.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

Lots of people will be surprised to find that grouse near bogs especially will fly out to the bog to eat the bog blue berries early in the morning and then return to ridge lines after a couple hours to roost. Now comes the shocker they tend to roost HIGH!! They will be 20-40' or more up and frequently in birch trees. If you can find a good series of treed ridges bordering swamps to watch then you may have some success watching where they fly to roost then bushwhacking them off the high branches. A nice rifle capable of precision shooting to 50 yards would be ideal (my 17hmr w/ 3x9x40 leupy rocks for this). I also noticed that they tend to roost on thicker branches and will stretch their necks out over the edge to watch you. It may be possible to take them w/ a shotgun if you wait till they do this in a manner that the branch protects their breast while leaving their head exposed. 2 people one using a rifle and the other a shotgun may be the ultimate combo as some birds will certainly fly when the shooting starts and may offer some opportunity for wing shooting.

I would say that most grouse found while hunting are on the ground, I would not say that most grouse are actually there...