Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Wainwright Moose

Default Wainwright Moose

So Im sure Ill get beat up about this one but gotta tell it. Started on 2 September when a buddy and I spotted a small bull on approach hill and got about 30 yards to him with the truck ( didnt have the bow in the truck ). We didnt see him for another two days but again saw him on the same hill just further up, we knew what direction he was going so decided to put on a stalk, no luck, wind was bad and besides a couple of mountain bikers ended up spookin him.

So we didnt see the bull until yesterday when we decided to drive around sage hill around lunch time. We ended up getitng turned around due to some construction vehicles and noticed a small car stopped and looking down a trail. I had asked the gentleman if its was a bull and said it looked like one but wasnt sure. I asked the gentleman if he was going after it and he had told me he had a cow tag and said good luck to me.

So my buddy and I grabbed the bows and proceeded after the moose. I ended up walking to another atv trail and cutting down that trail thinking I might be able to push the moose back to the trail if I spooked it. I stopped about 150yds down that trail and proceeded to send out a short call to see what would happen and to my suprise I immediately heard trees crash to my left and something trotting out into a little open field. I identified the moose as a legal bull having a fork on his left side and three on his right and proceeded to get around into an open area.

I got to where I had a clear shot about 60yds away and drew the bow and he spooked and started trotting away through the open field. I then kinda trotted up myself around some scrub trees hanging over and again called and stopped the bull in its tracks. I beleived the bull to be around 100yds away , no wind and an open field and I decided to take a shot. I placed my 80yd pin on his back and released the arrow. As I watched the arrow arc through the air I knew I had him, the arrow drifted a little to the left and ended up hitting him a little far back but the way he was angled ended up exiting right behind the front left shoulder. The arrow hit center mass just a little more left than I would have wanted.

The moose only ran about 100yds and was stone dead. When we ranged the actual position of myself and the moose it was exactly 90yds away. Now I cant wait to hear the replies to this one about a 90yd shot ( yes Iit was 90yds and made a bow shot at it) and confirmed...but Ill tell you this much, my bow is setup with 5 pins at 20yds a pin mainly for bou on the slope, after shooting I felt very comfortable shooting at this distance with no wind and an open field.

I am currently at work and will upload a pic or two when I get home.

Talking

With a name like "bowtech"! Very provocative post. Looking forward to the comments and pictures.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

a couple of my buddies were hunting this very bull, kinda cool to hear someone shot it.

I dont have anything polite to say about the shot...other then the 'need to kill', the alaskan mindset has prevailed again. Glad it worked out for once! But I dont know if I would have posted it! either way, congrats.

Default Not a bow hunter myself

But what pound bow do you need to make that long of a shot...

I'm just glad it didn't turn out to be huge black eye for hunters as a group and military hunters as a sub-group (assumption on my part that you are both). There is a reason there are little to no archery hunts around anchorage. People tend to get angry when moose walk around with arrows sticking out of them looking like a misguided goth-kid.

Not knowing your bow setup or skill level I can't guess whether your odds of duplicating that shot are 1 in 5, 1 in 20, or far better or far worse. But I do know that hitting a static target over and over is different - the target doesn't move and there is also very little consequence for a miss. There are just too many variables beyond your control that can change the end result in the time your arrow travels 90 yards.

Not to mention the part of your story where you say you "placed your 80 yard pin on his back". I wonder how many times you have shot at 100 yards (what you estimated) by guessing a holdover with your 80 yard pin? I'd be surprised if you've done that a lot, but...I've been surprised before.

I hope your post doesn't inspire other, perhaps new, shooters to think estimated 100 yard shots are ok for mere mortals. I imagine there would be some ticked off bow hunters if a hellraiser style moose wandering around town brought enough public uproar to end FMA archery hunts forever. Nuff said.

Oh except - congrats on the bull, I really am glad you got your moose, but personally I'd rather go without than chance it with a shot like you described.

100 yards with a bow, I'm impressed. I'm sure the 'Final Authority on ethics" family will be here soon enough. Glad to see some moose are starting to pop out.
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

So I knew the tearing up would happen...to answer a few questions on the setup... Im shooting a 28inch easton axis equipped with a NAP nitron and my bow is setup at 72#...Ive been shooting archery for around 18yrs...Im not a newbie off the streets and have been around longer than a minute when it comes to archery...Like said and totally agree with the variables at that distance...lets put it this way....if I didnt think I could hit a static target at that distance I would never had shot....In my intial post I did say I thought he was around 100yds. I knew he was anywhere around that distance but not any further than that...therefore I placed the 80yd pin on his back which would have placed the space between my 80 and 100yd pin centered mass for 90 yards...and thats where luck kinda took into play with guessing the range right on....

Don't think that shot should've even been considered let alone taken (and especially not posted). From your "can't wait to hear the replies" statement, you know yourself it was a questionable shot at best.....even if you had used a rangerfinder...which you didn't. Your trying to justify the shot because you made the kill...this time. It doesn't work that way...the end doesn't justify the means. I hope if you're taking long shots like that at caribou on the slope, that they don't run in front of a tour bus with an arrow sticking out of their aXX. I've shot 2 with a bow on the slope...both less than 40 yards. It was exciting getting within that range...once hiding behind my backpack that was propped up with an arrow as the whole herd surrounded me. It's the hunt not the kill.

Sorry man...I'm no watchdog or an ethics guru...but this stuff makes us all look bad. You posted it knowing it would stir some debate...I'm just giving it.

Keep sending the replies doesnt bother me one bit, I know what I can do with a bow...and as far as caribou good for you, three weeks ago I shot two caribou on the slope one at 45 and one at 60 ...I dont need to justify no shot....I know what Im capable of and if I had the same shot with no wind and a open field I would take it again

Default ethics

Ethics is personal.

Glad you kilt him. Glad he isn't running around town with an arra in his arse too. Hope he eats good.

All others - Do NOT shoot this shot unless you know you can do it.

Didn't Fred Bear kill a couple critters with his longbow/recurve at 60 plus yards??

so then you posted this to brag AND stir the pot?

posts like this reminds me of the day on the 16 range...when a little paddle bull walked out, arrow in his shoulder. He laid down on one of the berms behind us before the shooting started, paying no attn to us whatsoever...but the 40 other people in the unit knowing I was a bowhunter, had plenty of questions to ask.

I'm sure the person who took that shot wasnt new either. Most of them arent. I'm not hear to police, really dont give a ratsa@@ about it... I have nothing good to say from it and nothing good is going to come from it, and you knew that....so peace out!

Default i was there

to all who are concerned with the shot......first ill say i was with bowtech on this hunt, we have been watching this bull for over a week now and finnaly got him. As far of the ethics of this shot i would have never taken it or any shot beyond 60 for that matter thats all im comftorble with....however i have been hunting with bowtech for some time now and have seen his capabilities on some long range shots, i have seen him pass up verry large caribou on the slope at much closer ranges because he wasnt sure of the varriables such as wind , angle, or position of the animal. being there with him on this hunt i know he was confident in taking the shot or he wouldnt have taken it, and on ethics ....it seems we are all quick to bash archery hunters for "unethical shots" but i know many rifle hunters who take these same chances and usually no one bats an eye... many people in this area (fairbanks) dont get to even target shoot much beyond 250-300 yds but still take shots in the field not knowing the actual distance or knowing the mathmatical way to compensate for bullet drop or wind speed, wind direction, baro, ambient temp, temp of the ammo etc. etc. all im saying is there is many more varriables for rifle hunters that many never take into consideration.

well congrads on the moose first of all. The shot you took was comparable to 800-1000 yrd shots by sheep hunters, some never should try others can. You mentioned having a 100yrd pin you might be the first i have heard of that has one. Ive tried shooting at that range and have to line up the bottom of my sight box. Anways sketchy shot but you acknowledged that. The main concern is for the animal and being able to make a clean quick kill which at that range had you hit the shoulderblade probably would not have happened. I'd say you may have gotten lucky that the arrow tucked behind that shoulder. Well again enjoy the moose.

Default just my thoughts

Post like this make me wonder if the OP really just wants a debate---because they know what is coming before they write it---glad you killed the bull. You must be quite a shot---maybe you should be shooting at the AK Field championship or maybe 3D championships where you can show off those skills. Alaska indoor season is coming up soon---if you can make a shot like that at 90 yds---then you should be able to clean a 5spot target and be state champ. One guy already hit the nail on the head--could you make this shot again under the same conditions---might be surprised at how much luck played into this shot. Congratulations.

Default pic

heres the pic
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default give me a break

Would you ethics police give me a break!!! He has been shooting for quite awhile and he felt comftorable taking the shot. Just because you dont feel comfy with the shot doesnt mean somebody else doesnt. I have seen people wound animals making 20 yard shots so maybe we should just outlaw all bow hunting because it might give us a black eye. You people absolutley kill me when you try deciding what is and isnt right for OTHER people. Your job as a hunter is to only take shots that YOU feel comftorable and confident taking. Its NOT to decide what shots are right for others. Just because you cant make the shot at that distance doesnt mean someobdy else can't.

Let me tell you how simple this is. He felt comftorable with the shot. He took everything in to account before the shot. He took the shot and the animal died. Get over it!!!

Maybe someday there will be Government imposed standards on exactly what shots you can and cant take. Maybe we can even start having hunting consultants that follow us around in the field and make the final call on whether or not we can shoot. We could also require all hunters to carry around proficiency cards that show how many times they have practiced from various distances.

Default just my thoughts

2 years ago I put 2 arrows 4" apart on a 103yd shot at outdoor nationals with roughly 50 people watching---doesnt mean that I am going to do it on an animal. Kudos to the man for making the shot---because had he wounded the critter---and someone found out how far he shot--might be a different story. Like I stated earlier---anyone that is that good of a shot at 90 yds should be able to clean a 5 spot at a weekly leauge night.

Won't comment on whether you should or should not have taken the shot. Don't think you should have posted it, though. You have no idea who is reading this. I can easily see someone who doesn't know better or is over-confident in their ability reading a post like this and deciding they can do the same thing. Some things are better kept to yourself. You could have easily posted a pic and general description of the stalk w/o the details. You wouldn't have opened yourself up to criticism and nobody would have questioned your motives in making the post. If you have the ability to routinely make shots like this under comparable conditions, great. That should be enough satisfaction for you. Posting it gives a different impression (true or not), and might encourage others to try and duplicate the shot.
    We are right to take alarm at the first experiment upon our liberties.
    James Madison

Default Anti Hunters Thoughts

As for the anti hunters thoughts I dont think you need to worry about them criticising bowtech shooter for his long shot. You can read up on their literature and they are pretty certain that bowhunting is inhumane and wasteful no matter how its done.
    Their study showed that "experienced bowhunters wound more animals than novices because they get in more shots and have more opportunity to wound" Their study also showed that "shot placement, for all practical purposes, is random" regardless of distance of the shot, experience of the hunter, etc...

The animal rights cooaliton put out a 10 page "study" on bowhunting. Its interesting to say the least.

Four years ago my neighbor, who is an experienced bowhunter, wounded a moose when making a 25 yard shot. As he stated he "pulled" the shot. Had this moose died in some "anti hunters" front yard do you really think the anti would care whether or not the shot was 25 or 100 yards? Whether the shot is 25 or 100 or the hunter is a newbie or a veteran bad shots happen. Hunting is not perfect. If we want a perfect image than we probably ought to go ahead and put down the bows.

Ethics is a personal thing and I believe when you take EVERYTHING into account here bowtech shooter did nothing un ethical.

Happy moose hunting to the rest of us that still have a tag to fill. As for me i will be waiting for my 35 yard broadside shot.

Thumbs up

Dude...

I'm proud OF and FOR you. I-F you didn't just "wing it", and it sounds as though you had the skill not to be "winging it" at that range and given those conditions!

Incompetent marksman hunters fling lead coming and going with "SWAG" shots, and miss, but a guy who practices at 100 is NOT supposed to take a shot at that range given ideal conditions?! From your buddy's testomony, you've had closer shots and were not willing to take them for lack of ideal conditions.

Good on you, FOR MAKING THE SHOT and not blowing it.

The only criticism I have is that there were no FOBs on the back end of those shafts!

Taylor
    -[]------->

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast