Thread: update on spike fork

Default update on spike fork

Had to get up and get my boy off to school, so I figured I'd post a couple pics of my spike fork. You can kind of see the wound on his leg.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by dandeo2003; 09-09-2009 at 07:33. Reason: add to

Looks like you took him in your yard... what fun is that ?

You know, the ribs on those youngsters are no good, if you need them disposed of just shoot me a PM.

here are a couple more.
    Attached Images Attached Images

did you take it with a bow in your yard?

Default wasn't fun

Quote Originally Posted by 338WM View Post
    While I really enjoy hunting, I don't consider it "fun". It is what I do to fill my freezer and I take any ethical chance to do so. While I see you look to be saying it sarcastically, I don't want anyone to get the wrong idea or thoughts of why or how I hunt.(too much of that on here lately IMO)

Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddy View Post
    did you take it with a bow in your yard?
    30-06 at about 25 yrds in someone else's yard.

wasn't fun Quote:
    Originally Posted by 338WM

While I really enjoy hunting, I don't consider it "fun". It is what I do to fill my freezer and I take any ethical chance to do so. While I see you look to be saying it sarcastically, I don't want anyone to get the wrong idea or thoughts of why or how I hunt.(too much of that on here lately IMO)

There has been a tremendous amount of hypersensitivity lately, hopefully that will cool soon .

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Yes it is all tongue-in-cheek, no worries, no criticism. I would have done the same had I the chance.

There has been a tremendous amount of hypersensitivity lately, hopefully that will cool soon .
    agreed ... it is almost hard to put any stories on here...

Good Job dan!!! so whats the neighbor say?... hopefully not "GET OFF MY LAWN!" or you can have that 1/4 thanks for doing the dirty work!
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Well Done Dan, thank you for posting pictures

I think meat still tastes the same shot in a yard or shot in a swamp. Some people have ALL the luck. He will taste mighty fine.
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

Default 30-06 in a yard?

I am NOT trying to be the police here, but I thought we are not allowed to hunt within 1/4 mile of a residence with a firearm? Is it OK if there is permission from the owner?

COOL story, wish I could be that lucky, the closest I have been so far to home was about 2 miles with a abow a few years ago.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by FairbanksBowHunter View Post
    I am NOT trying to be the police here, but I thought we are not allowed to hunt within 1/4 mile of a residence with a firearm? Is it OK if there is permission from the owner?

COOL story, wish I could be that lucky, the closest I have been so far to home was about 2 miles with a abow a few years ago.
    Only when you live in the city ordance areas.... outside that it is borough rules... ... wait...

hmmm

nope never mind... i can still shoot out side my door.. or out of it for that matter.
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

COOL thanks Vince... and I need your place

Default Now thats cheeting

You even have fresh water to rinse up afterward. Could have just invited the neighbors over for fresh moose on the barbi, real fresh!!!

awsome way to start and finish the season without going anywhere.

I gotta get a house like that too!!!

This moose must not of got the memo............ its hunting season!
    The Second Amendment.......Know it, love it, support it.

Hmmmmmm, you know, thinking about this for a minute and now this doesn't seem as good a deal as some would figure. Now you have to get rid of a gut pile, hide, and spine instead of leaving it out in the boons. And I always like to revisit my gut piles for a chance at Mr. Bear!
    The Second Amendment.......Know it, love it, support it.

Default not in town

The yard I took the moose in was not in a town. To protect the yard and guy, all I'll say is it was north of Eklutna. When I asked for permission to take the bull, I also asked about any neighbors, buildings or trails/roads that would be behind the shot. The guy said the nearest building was over 1/3 of a mile away over a couple ridges. He said the only thing behind the bull was some storage sheds with "just a buch of old junk in them" he said. Therefor it became a 25yrd shot instead of closer as I waited for a better backdrop.
    When I got home my neighbor came over and helped dress it out. For the assistance(which was not solicited) he received a chunk of the backstrap(enough for 2 meals) and some of the liver, which is what he asked for before the season started if I was able to get a moose.
    Clean up was easy. Layed down a couple tarps under A-frame shed with dirt floor(normally where I work on vehicles), use pully at top of A-frame to lift moose out of truck, dress out moose, hang game bags in other shed with screened windows(also using fans to keep cool), all scraps-bones-hide and unused internal organs were then wrapped up in the top tarp and tarp was hoisted into backend of truck. Will be headed to the dump this morning to dispose of(which will be the hardest work as I'll have to drag the tarp out of the truck).
    Was going to contact Brian M. about donating some organs but another neighbor (a very nice older phillipino lady) sent her grandson down to ask for most of them, you know, kidneys, stomachs, intestines and such. Sorry Brian. Providing my son gets his hunter's safety cert this Saturday, we will be out after another moose. He told me "dad I don't want one as easy as you, just bigger". I laughed and said that if he gets one and has to hike it out he'll change his mind next time(first moose that didn't give me back spasms for a few days).
    Just a side note, the wound he had appeared to be from an arrow with a field tip or small caliber bullet(nothing found in the wound channels). Looked like it occured a few months ago. The wound was about a 6 inch diameter, but only about 3 inches deep(not much meat loss).

Quote Originally Posted by BIGAKSTUFF View Post
    Hmmmmmm, you know, thinking about this for a minute and now this doesn't seem as good a deal as some would figure. Now you have to get rid of a gut pile, hide, and spine instead of leaving it out in the boons. And I always like to revisit my gut piles for a chance at Mr. Bear!
    We use the spine all the way up to the head for soup bones. The leg bones, from the hooves up, will be BBQed for the dogs. I figure I have maybe 170 lbs of scraps headed for the landfill.

You know, the ribs on those youngsters are no good, if you need them disposed of just shoot me a PM.
    You're right, the family all sat in disgust and made gross sounds as they were eating the 1/2 rack I cooked for dinner on the BBQ................either that or they attitude and sounds were from me telling them "no I am not going to cook all of them tonight!"

Quote:
    Originally Posted by 338WM

You're right, the family all sat in disgust and made gross sounds as they were eating the 1/2 rack I cooked for dinner on the BBQ................either that or they attitude and sounds were from me telling them "no I am not going to cook all of them tonight!"