Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tan Job Nightmare

Default Tan Job Nightmare

I shot a coyote November 10th of 2008 and called a local tannery in Anchorage to tan the hide for me. I do not shoot many K9's and didn't expect much at all from the trapline so I wanted the hide tanned sooner rather than later. The local tannery I called would not except the hide, "since it's only a coyote and I only had one hide." "Call back when you have more animals." I should have read the sign in front of my face. Eventually I took the hide to a taxidermy shop in Anchorage so they could take it to the tannery that wouldn't originally except my hide, "the biggest little tannery around." I nicked the hide twice while skinning the animal, which were both sewed shut that night. Now 10 months later I get my hide back, completely butchered, hacked up, and mangled to shreds. The tan job plain sucks compared to the other hides I have around the house.

Pissed off, all my efforts were wasted away by the tannery. I called the taxidermist to verify "the biggest little tannery around" indeed tanned my hide, which they infact did tan my coyote hide. The taxi offered to sew up the hide for me. Skeptical as I was, I wouldn't have believe they could salvage the hide. As promised my hide was ready for pickup, again, after the long weekend. To my surprise Knights Taxidermy did a wonderful job sewing up the hide. It's no longer mangled and tore to shreds. I was impressed by their efforts to satisfy an unhappy customer with butchered coyote hide.

Lesson learned. I'll NEVER EVER use Alpha furs again. I wouldn't even take a parka squirrel to them for tanning. Next time I will send it out of state. It was my fault I asked the hide to be send to Alpha and learned the hard way this time. I prefer to support local business' but, as far as tanneries go, I'll send them outside next time.

Sorry to hear about your bad experience. Thanks for sharing.
    ><((((>.`..`.. ><((((>`..`.><((((>

"People who drink light 'beer' don't like the taste of beer; they
    just like to pee a lot." --Capitol Brewery

I used to deal with them, but the quality deteriorated. Had 2 lynx come back pretty shredded once and told them no way could I sell them like that. He replaced them with 2 others that were nicer than any I've ever caught, but still not the same, as not mine. They started taking longer each year and beavers started coming back worse and worse so I finally started using Moyle. It's too bad as I like the folks there. I think they get swamped with bear hides these days and small furs take a back seat. Sorry about your coyote but glad the taxidermist was right on.

Grem,

We send ours out. Thanks to Rick Ellis we came across a wonderful place out of state. If you like, since you and I don't seem to have huge shipments we can combine ours to ship them out. 3 month turn around and we are VERY happy with the results.

We stopped using AFD years ago when my caribou hide came back with a huge split down the back, the whole length of the animal, the guy looked at me and said "Oh we must have stretched it too far"
    "In the interest of protecting my privacy I will no longer be accepting Private Messages generated from this site and if you email me, it better be good!"

Thanks for the offer Deb, but I will not be trapping for awhile. This winter I will be exploring on the new snowmachine instead. Also poke around and look for a new area to trap, I hear there's a killer spot near Houston.

I wish I took a picture of the hide before it was sewed up just to show everyone how awful it looked. I could always turn the hide inside out to show where the holes used to be.

Quote Originally Posted by Water_Gremlin View Post
    Thanks for the offer Deb, but I will not be trapping for awhile. This winter I will be exploring on the new snowmachine instead. Also poke around and look for a new area to trap, I hear there's a killer spot near Houston.

Hey not a problem, just don't step on my toes, we all know how that GOES.....(sarcasm) ...... The offers there if you need it.
    "In the interest of protecting my privacy I will no longer be accepting Private Messages generated from this site and if you email me, it better be good!"

Grem,

Member ks2 just had a boatload of marten, otter, and beaver done at Tundra Tanning and he was happy with the outcome....just FYI...

Thanks Hunt. I did talk to Tundra Tanning but decided to send 7 beavers to Moyles, which I just got back today. Moyles did a fantastic job on the beaver hides. The leather is soft and consistent and no holes in the leather other than the ones from my knife. When I compare the coyote leather to the beaver leather I can instantly tell the beaver tan job is a world apart from the coyote, and I got the beavers back in 3 months instead of 10 months like the coyote.

Glad it worked out. Since I dont trap and now you've got a sled....we'll go ridin'!

Quote Originally Posted by hunt_ak View Post
    Glad it worked out. Since I dont trap and now you've got a sled....we'll go ridin'!
    it will be nice to add Grem to the rides this winter...he rides a yamaha so now I'll have someone to give crap to when in the hills.........
    ------------------------------------------------
    pull my finger....

I wouldn't touch Tundra either after what they did to some hides hubby fleshed for a friend. The hides were questionable, size, quality etc.....Hubby puts his own "marks" in the hides he does. We were asked to accompany our friend down there and the hides that Tundra was trying to give back to our buddy did not have those "marks". We then informed them that we knew these were not his furs....This was a year ago, our buddy has yet to see his furs, that they said they would replace.
    We wont even talk about the bull hide that sat there for a year that was never sent out for leather.

Furs For fun is another good one, I believe that's who we used the last time we sent them out with Ricks batch.

Default you got me worried

I was in a time crunch with my goat hide since I was heading out moose hunting and couldn't find time to send it out to my tanner down south, so I took it to Alpha furs.
    This thread has got me a little figity. not even sure if I can get it back now since I am not in Anchorage.

Default Mallard, Don't worry

I think you're goat hide will be ok. I think Alpha deals better with large game hides rather than furbearers. I've had several large animals done there with nothing but great results, including 2 goat, 1 sheep, and lots of bears. I do send all of my "fur" to moyle though. I've had a couple furs come back rough from them too though. Maybe it was my fault though. Maybe I fleshed too close or something.
    Bummer to hear about your coyote Water gremlin, it always sucks to have something nice come back bad.

Quote Originally Posted by goaty View Post
    I think you're goat hide will be ok. I think Alpha deals better with large game hides rather than furbearers. I've had several large animals done there with nothing but great results, including 2 goat, 1 sheep, and lots of bears. I do send all of my "fur" to moyle though. I've had a couple furs come back rough from them too though. Maybe it was my fault though. Maybe I fleshed too close or something.
    Bummer to hear about your coyote Water gremlin, it always sucks to have something nice come back bad.
    they may deal better with larger hides?? i dont think so, my blackie came back full of little nicks and holes.. and so did my brothers, along with a bunch of other peoples storys i wouldent bring in any thing to them ever again.. the waiting time is not any faster than shipping it out of state and getting it done .. from now on its moyles for my critters...
    LOVE MY LITTLE SKULL CLEANERS

I use the same place as Huntress out of state. We get great discounts being members of the Alaska Frontier Trappers Association. He does a great job. Tundra took a year on my beavers and they are not able to be used in garments. They make great coffe table covers though.

Default hides

I had them do a couple bear hides for me. Took them along time to get back to me, quality seemed ok, but they still smell of chemicals after three years! We ship our otter and wolves to Moyles and they do a superb job.

Default Top gun

I don't know where Bob at Top Gun Taxidermy gets his done or if some he does himself but I've always had professional results from him
    Visions Steel/841-WELD(9353)
    "Rebellion is in my blood, I was born an American"
    Μολών λαβέ

Quote Originally Posted by Huntress View Post
    I wouldn't touch Tundra either after what they did to some hides hubby fleshed for a friend. .
    This wasn't part of Hunter-Fisher selling off the Tundra was it? I bought two furs at the Rondy auction and had Tundra get them tanned. They sent them somewhere out of state and they came back in very good condition, so I was wondering. I've had a few hides tanned by Alpha, both directly and through a taxidermist and all have come back in good condition. As a side note, Russ, owner of Knight's, is a great guy and does whatever he can to satisfy the customer.

Hunter-Fisher selling off the Tundra? We used to have awesome results from Alpha, but not in the last 8 years but, then again, most of you would agree that it would only take one bad
    one to leave you shaking your head, never to return

Tundra bought an outfit in Anchorage. Not sure if it was Hunter Fisher. They also have a shop in or around Soldotna. Tundra started sending their stuff out after they started having problems with smaller critters. That's what they told me they were gonna do when I was picking up my furs. So you are paying more than you need to. Just send them out yourself.
    Last I heard about Alpha was they were not doing small furs anymore unless you had a few hundred dollars worth of tanning to do.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast