Thread: 2 Stroke Oil Questions, Info, Comparisons

Default 2 Stroke Oil Questions, Info, Comparisons

Me trying to search all the old threads is too mind boggling, so I'll put this out there for all you boaters.

What Manufacturer, model, and horsepower outboard do you use?
    (Carbureted or injected?)

What oil did you use in the past, and did you change? Why?

What type of 2 stroke oil do you currently use?

How long have you used it? (hour meter, load types, etc)

What do you pay per gallon of the brand you now use? (Bulk or pre packaged?)

Where do you buy your oil?

Have you ever torn down an outboard and seen carbon build up or other issues that might have been caused by oil?

Have you ever used the following products? If so, what was your experience? I have included a price with each just for comparison.

Shell Nautilus 2-Cycle Engine Oil- $42.18/case of 12 quarts = $14.06/gallon

Phillips Injex Pro (synthetic blend)- $21.65/gallon pre-packaged

Phillips (petroleum)- $14.82/gallon pre-packaged

Union 76 (petroleum)- $15.16/gallon pre-packaged

Penzoil (petroleum)- $15.00/gallon pre-packaged

Yamalube 2M (synthetic blend)- Did not get a price before they closed

Johnson/Evinrude XD-30 (petroleum)-

Quicksilver (synthetic blend)- $28.00/gallon pre-packaged

That gives us a start. I wonder how many of you are using oils that do not have a motor manufacturer's name on the bottle? How many of you are name loyal? I did not add pure synthetics to the list yet on purpose. Most of the guys I know use either a pure petroleum or a synthetic blend oil.

Fortunately or unfortunately I am out of the OB 2 stroke arena.

I do however have a fleet of Sno go's with huge amounts of miles. I have one that is on borrowed time with 6 seasons on the crank and bearings. Still running strong I just keep wondering for how long. I have no machines with under 6000 miles all are within a pound or two of original compression, I have NOT removed the power valves in 2 years for cleaning. All except one sled (was bought wrecked and the valves were real dirty) was run on Amsoil Interceptor straight out of the box from the dealer.

Have been using Amsoil since the late 70's.

I buy my oil from me. I buy oil in 55 gallon drums. Cost for sled oil is about $23.00 a gallon. OB oil on bulk I have it for $21.25. This is not sell this is share cost. Just like you would get bulk from your local dealers. I use enough by myself to justify the bulk purchase and share with those interested.

Keep an eye out for a thread about Amsoil by SnowWolf. He is making a run to the Koyukuk and he just got 12 gallons from me. A run like that should show if there was any instant savings as far as fuel is concerned. He has made the trip a few times so he has a good idea what his fuel comsuption should be. We should see something back from him after the 25th of Sept.

Put 57 hours on my motor last hunting trip and only used the Quicksilver DFI syn oil. Motor ran like a champ.
    This year am trying the Amsoil I picked up from Dupont Spinner. Still have a full tank of the DFI oil and once it runs out will add the Amsoil. I really do not expect to see any changes in my gas consumption, and to be fair, it would be almost impossible to measure anyhow due to different loads, currents, wind conditions, etc. Purchased it primary to save money on the oil as the DFI oil is currently running about $38 a gallon.
    Would be sweet if I could find a tall 15 gallon container with a hand pump for the trip as carrying all those 1 gallon jugs is a pain. But on the flip side I can burn the empty jugs when we stop.
    We leave on Friday and I'll post the results when I return the end of the month. Oh, and this is only my second trip up the Koyukuk.

PS: For years I thought Amsoil was nothing but snake oil and NEVER would try it in anything I own. If I post that I was happy with it consider it a really good plug, lol.
    Tennessee

Good luck on your hunt post up when you get back what type of boat do you have.

Quote Originally Posted by Snowwolfe View Post
    Would be sweet if I could find a tall 15 gallon container with a hand pump for the trip as carrying all those 1 gallon jugs is a pain. But on the flip side I can burn the empty jugs when we stop.
    We leave on Friday and I'll post the results when I return the end of the month. Oh, and this is only my second trip up the Koyukuk.

PS: For years I thought Amsoil was nothing but snake oil and NEVER would try it in anything I own. If I post that I was happy with it consider it a really good plug, lol.

I have a 15 gallon container just no pump.......please bring back as many jugs as possible but I understand the issues if I don't get them back.

Default Add another type of oil

Let's add Super Tech to the list @ $11.00/gallon. Has anybody used it? Anything you noticed good or bad?
    Are there any other brands that you have used with definitive results? That might even mean years of use with lots of documented hours without a problem.

Charterboat Operator

Default amsoil

another one for the amsoil. Dont buy mine from Dupont, sorry man, but have run it in my 150 yammy's for the past 5 years. typically burn about 12-14 gallons a summer, plugs stay cleaner, have never had to tear a motor down (yet) and cant beat the price. running the HP.
    on the other hand running the interceptor oil in the sleds, all as high a mileage as duponts with the exception of one that is pushing 15k, and wouldn't ya know it, it starts easier and runs better than the newer ones!

Hey Pole Bender,
    Anytime you want oil let me know. I keep Interceptor on bulk (55 gallon drum) and it looks like I will be able to bring the same discounts for HP in the future as I have enough now to consume a 30 gallon drum. If I included your 12 to 15 gallons I would purchase a 55 gallon drum to get you guys the best price.

I also deliver from Houston to Girdwood, if needed. During the winter Cantwell and Glenallen can be done pretty easy.

Let me know>>>>>>>>>>

Charterboat Operator

dupont
    think I am going to buy a 15 gal drum of HP for next summer, and usually buy a 55 of interceptor every other year. will give you a buzz to check prices, think i am getting a pretty good deal as a buddy is a dealer and we go pick it up direct.
    later
    PB

Quote Originally Posted by POLE BENDER View Post
    dupont
    think I am going to buy a 15 gal drum of HP for next summer, and usually buy a 55 of interceptor every other year. will give you a buzz to check prices, think i am getting a pretty good deal as a buddy is a dealer and we go pick it up direct.
    later
    PB

No biggie just making sure you are covered. He is probably doing the same thing that I am. I use alot myself and when I can get it cheaper for me and network a group together and reduce their price that is what I do. I try to get a large order together to cash in on the discounts to cover the 7.5% Ak shipping charge.

Used the Amsoil on my trip to the Koyukuk and back in my 200 Optimax and could not tell any difference in performance by the change other than more money in my pocket. Put 55 hours on the motor and return trip included two moose in the boat and running up the Yukon at 4,900-5,200 rpms for hours on end. Other than using more oil and more gas due to the extra weight and going up river could not detect any differences at all.
    I plan on buying more Amsoil next summer.
    Thanks Dupont Spinner!
    Tennessee

Default Evinrude

Snowwolfe, I run a 200hp Yamaha 2 strk on a 22' boat that I use mainly in the inlet, but did take it up the Koyukuk a few years back. I don't think we used but 5-6 gallons total from the bridge and back.
    Got a deal a few years back when the Evinrude Fichts starting to act up and die. 55 gal drum was pretty cheap, around $500. From what I understand it is a synthetic tcw3 and has worked without problems for 7 or 8 years.