Thread: 56 percent of accidents in AK

Default 56 percent of accidents in AK

happen in the month of august according to an FAA circular I just received. I assume that there is a direct correlation between hunting season and the accident rate hence the FAA's circular. At pretty much every airport that I have flown into in AK, there are a ton of taildraggers sitting with weeds up to their wings that only fly during moose season... I feel bad for the planes.

We probably fly LESS in August than any other month, due to exactly that: lots of 'moose warriors' with airplanes that make Mr. mbd shudder when he sees them fueling and loading up. As the backseat passenger, my job has always been to spot other aircraft, but this time of year I'm always feeling about 3 pairs of eyeballs short. Last weekend we made the mistake of going for a 'pleasure' flight which included 2 (not one, TWO) planes flying beneath or beside us so close I could see the ringworm on the fabric and whose radios obviously weren't working because they weren't talking. What, we're supposed to know you're there by Vulcan mind-meld? I was a nervous wreck.

The good news is our mechanic makes a fortune off the moose warriors. I just hope the life insurance companies don't have to pay off. The term 'moose stall' came into being for a reason. We spot something, only ONE of us is supposed to be looking at it; the other one is supposed to be flying the airplane.

You spend the money to have an airplane, why wouldn't you take care of it and fly it regularly? You think she knows when it's moose season?

Be safe. Da feds don't need any more reasons to regulate our flying. Stop helping them by proving we're too dumb to take care of ourselves.

Wink

Well, looks like you got your wish. The FAA, Medallion Foundation and FAAST just reported that this year's August was the lowest number of accidents in many years. In fact, no aviation fatalities at all. A first.
    As far as see and avoid; Yes, lots of people in the air this weekend. We made three trips to the cabin and on each flight we found folks who either did not have radios or didn't care to use them. Their choice though. I love having my son with me, he has incredible eye sight. I have two rules in the plane, if you're uncomfortable with something, we talk about it, if you see another aircraft, even though you think I know about it, we talk about it.
    The most noteworthy accident we've had in the SC area was the midair over the Palmer hay flats by two very high time pilots in May several years ago. Nobody is immune and no one month is exceptional. My observation for Hunting Season is not the higher frequency of accidents in and around airports but guys not being accustumed to flying their AC heavy and into small areas. The FAR's require three landings in 90 to be current, Ha! I wouldn't be current with a fork if I only used it three times in three months!
    Heads up and out of the cockpit, fly lots, fuel is cheap compared to shop wages for repairs or worse.
    I stopped in at PAWS the other weekend for fuel and had an FAA type stop me to fill out a questionaire. I was expecting a ramp check the way he approached. He was polite and wanted an opinion as to services provided and improvements sought. I was surprised and he got a list!

did he also give you the reminder on the "plastic" license requirement? I was standing on my tire fueling the plane a couple weeks ago and FAA logoed car pulls up... I am thinking GREAT, just what I wanted to go though.. turns out the gal was just out telling everyone she could find about the new requirement.

If you did not allready know. If you do not ask for a replacement "plastic" license before April 2010 your ticket becomes null and void and you get to go through the testing again. Suddenly years of knowledge and experience go out the window and you are starting at phase 1 again.

I never heard that there's a requirement to do so, but rather an offer to re-issue your certificate in order to remove the SSN as the cert#. If you request a replacement cert on-line and ask for the removal of your SSN the replacement is free. If you choose snail mail it costs $2.00. The website takes about 5 minutes including the required account registration.

Maybe the requirement is because our certificates now are required to show that we're English proficient. That's an international aviation requirement. No "press 1 for English" jokes necessary. In any event, thanks for mentioning it.

Here's the link to the FAA site. This site doesn't like Firefox. I had to switch to Internet Explorer to make it work.
    http://www.faa.gov/licenses_certific...rmen_services/

Default english speaking also

To cross over the Canadian border you have to have a lic. the sas English speaking.

Quote Originally Posted by algonquin View Post
    To cross over the Canadian border you have to have a lic. the sas English speaking.
    The logic just kills me.. The fact that you are standing there talking to the inspector in plain english does not matter. If you dont have a piece of plastic that states you can speak english, they must assume that you can't. Just who the heck sits around at meetings and comes up with this crapola?

http://www.faa.gov/licenses_certific...h_proficiency/

Pay attention to the part the says the requirement applies to "pilots who operate internationally".

Not what the gal from the FAA told me at the plane. She said we were all going to be required to get the new plastic cards. AOPA had a campaign on it too. Me, well I spent 5 minutes online to get it and now dont have to worry either way.

Default Also got to talk to a fed.

Was down in Soldotna a few weeks ago loading up the plane. The guy in the next row was preflighting his plane. Stopped what he was doing, walked over to me and started with some friendly chat. Next thing you know he pulls out his badge and tells me he is will the faa. I asked if he needed to see anything, he said "No, the boss just told me to take my airplane out and do some meet and greets." It seems to me the feds have a bit of a reputation issue they are trying to rectify. I do have to say he was a real nice guy and i do love chatting about airplanes.

The really great thing about the english endorsement is that it is done over the internet, you don't even speak to anyone.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by mbd View Post
    We probably fly LESS in August than any other month, due to exactly that: lots of 'moose warriors' with airplanes that make Mr. mbd shudder when he sees them fueling and loading up. As the backseat passenger, my job has always been to spot other aircraft, but this time of year I'm always feeling about 3 pairs of eyeballs short. Last weekend we made the mistake of going for a 'pleasure' flight which included 2 (not one, TWO) planes flying beneath or beside us so close I could see the ringworm on the fabric and whose radios obviously weren't working because they weren't talking. What, we're supposed to know you're there by Vulcan mind-meld? I was a nervous wreck.

The good news is our mechanic makes a fortune off the moose warriors. I just hope the life insurance companies don't have to pay off. The term 'moose stall' came into being for a reason. We spot something, only ONE of us is supposed to be looking at it; the other one is supposed to be flying the airplane.

You spend the money to have an airplane, why wouldn't you take care of it and fly it regularly? You think she knows when it's moose season?

Be safe. Da feds don't need any more reasons to regulate our flying. Stop helping them by proving we're too dumb to take care of ourselves.
    MDB, I hear you!!! When I was finishing my private and renting, I used to fly out to Talketna and Willow a lot. Several times I was turing final (after doing all the procedure calls on the CTAF as required), a super cub would streak by below me and land right in front! Not a peep from them! I think these folks think they just don't need to use the radio because, well, they just don't need it!

Radios are not required equipment in airplanes. Just because nobody's talking doesn't mean nobody's there.

Quote Originally Posted by littleman81 View Post
    a super cub would streak by below me and land right in front! !

For a Stupid-Cub to "streak" by, you would need to by driving a Blimp.......

Default Grizzly 1

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Pid View Post
    I never heard that there's a requirement to do so, but rather an offer to re-issue your certificate in order to remove the SSN as the cert#. If you request a replacement cert on-line and ask for the removal of your SSN the replacement is free. If you choose snail mail it costs $2.00. The website takes about 5 minutes including the required account registration.

Maybe the requirement is because our certificates now are required to show that we're English proficient. That's an international aviation requirement. No "press 1 for English" jokes necessary. In any event, thanks for mentioning it.

Here's the link to the FAA site. This site doesn't like Firefox. I had to switch to Internet Explorer to make it work.
    http://www.faa.gov/licenses_certific...rmen_services/
    Hey Mr. Pic - - - how goes things for you?

What's this business about plastic licenses? My license is plastic due to an address change, but my number (1368045) was issued LONG before the numbers became SSNs. Do I need to get still another plastic license?

Regards,

Mort

Mort,

It's that 'tweener season here. When I was I was someplace else. But we had a great summer and a long fall. I shouldn't complain.

I don't know whether you need a new license or not. If you fly across an international border you'll need the english proficiency endorsement. That's an international requirement, not FAA.

If I ask OKC for a CD for any plane in the fleet all the repair history docs will show the mechanic's SSN. I wonder what the FAA will do to protect those guy's numbers.

Default Grizzly 1

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Pid View Post
    Mort,

It's that 'tweener season here. When I was I was someplace else. But we had a great summer and a long fall. I shouldn't complain.

I don't know whether you need a new license or not. If you fly across an international border you'll need the english proficiency endorsement. That's an international requirement, not FAA.

If I ask OKC for a CD for any plane in the fleet all the repair history docs will show the mechanic's SSN. I wonder what the FAA will do to protect those guy's numbers.
    Looks like your gummint in action again . . . . . Why can't they just use the mechanic's A&E number (or A&P or whatever it's called now)? After all, it's our gummint that states (on the face of the SSN card!) that it's not to be used for identification purposes! Ain't we a funny country . . .

And, yeah, I reckon the US/Canadian border qualifies for international travel. As does Central America, Mexico, the Bahama Islands, etc . . .

See ya,

Mort

Default Paper certificate

2010 FAR/AIM: Page 45
    Section 61.19: Duration of Pilot and Instructor Certificates
    Para H sub para (b)

“the holder of a paper pilot certificate issued under this part may not exercise the privileges of that certificate after March 31, 2010.”

Mort I hope this helps.

Drew