Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Whittier, are they in or not

Default Whittier, are they in or not

Has anyone been to Whitter and did you see anything, I keep getting conflicting report, most say there is nothing there, and then some say there fish in Salmon Run 1, and boat harbor, please send a reply with good news or bad thanks.

I was there yesterday morning for several hours trying to find fish. Went everywhere possible by road. I did not see one fish. I have also heard that there are a few small schools coming and going, so timing is key at the moment. Still too early to determine if the run is a bust or just late, but most think it's just not there.

Sad to say, we didn't see any sign of silvers near either Pigot or Esther this weekend. They're either really late, or they're not coming.
    Quote Originally Posted by northwestalska
    ... you canít tell stories about the adventures you wished you had done!

Default October

Didn't they show up in October last year.........

hopefully i am wrong in thinking that they are MIA (or is it MIO missing in ocean).......

Unhappy Oh where oh where have the silvers gone.........

Went all over for three days caught only a few........two weeks ago I caught some on the south end of Culross Island....trolling...BIG ones......then poof!!!! ....gone.....Looks like a repeat of last year unless they come in REALLY late in Sept or Oct. Weather looks bad for this weekend but if someone does go out plet us all know. If I go out I will post a report on Sun nite or Mon morning.....

Me and some buddies went out this past weekend and tried everywhere from Whittier to Pigot, then crossed Port Wells and tried from Ester to the east end of the Dutch Group and back. Nada...talk about freaking sad! At least the shrimp and yellow-eye saved the day!

I can only tell you what I reported the other day: I was there Sunday and people were catching them in the cove at Salmon Run, both from shore and from small boats. At least one guy had success off the breakwater the night before, and a couple fishermen at the cove said they'd caught 2 or 3 each on Saturday. If that was just a small advance group of fish or just some strays, I guess there's no way of knowing.

Weather permitting I'll try it Friday and see what turns up. Worst case: I'll go berry picking and hiking and buy some fudge and still have a great day down there. Portage Pass is sometimes a surreal experience when the weather is at its worst. It doesn't take blue skies to make a nice time, I think.

I may try a run down there Friday as well. Kind of have to see how things shake out, but if I can I'm going to.

Default Hot off the press

Whettier Silvers are sporadic at best. Weather is terrible, blowing and hard rain most of day.... and the same for the next few days. Boat Harbor, forget it. The cove at Salmon Run was OK. I picked up 3 with Herring under a bobber. The last 2 hours of outgoing and first 2 of incoming seemed to be the best. I myself will be holding off until same time next week with the hopes of more excitement

There were lots in the boat harbor but the idiots wouldn't let the people fish where the fish are. I don't fish there, but all the fish were in the deeper parts and they make the people stand in the shallow parts instead of letting them go on the rocks. I'm sure they have some twisted reasoning for justifying it, but it looks really dumb to me letting those fish go to waste.
    Hike faster. I hear banjo music.

Quote Originally Posted by wildog View Post
    There were lots in the boat harbor but the idiots wouldn't let the people fish where the fish are. I don't fish there, but all the fish were in the deeper parts and they make the people stand in the shallow parts instead of letting them go on the rocks. I'm sure they have some twisted reasoning for justifying it, but it looks really dumb to me letting those fish go to waste.
    That is often the case with the fish in the harbor. They tend to hang out on the far side where you can't fish from the breakwater. In theory, anyway. Was down there last year and about two dozen people had simply gone over the fence and fished there anyway...lol. They were also snagging, which is not legal in the harbor. I get that rule. Don't want people hurling lead at fiberglass boats, but it was almost comical how completely they ignored the rules.

I watched and waited, and sure enough there was a Fish and Wildlife Trooper that eventually started busting people as they came back over the fence and up to the parking lot.

Default How many in the boat harbor

How many did you see in the Harbor? anyone check Salmon River 1 recently or the head of the bay? thanks.

Unhappy

Went out again this last weekend in search of those ellusive salmon again. We were out for two days and tried every place from Culross Passage, Applegate area, Pigot Point, Pigot Bay, Blackstone Bay, and even parts of Passage Canal to include Poe Bay, Shotgun Cove, and the cliffs along the way back towards Fish Run. What were the results you may ask? Not a dang thing. ***!!! We trolled two set ups, one at 30' and the other at 60'. We also occasionally mooched whenever we came across a bait-ball that contained more than one fish. This silver season officially bites the big one. We did catch some nice yellow-eyes and quite a mess of shrimp, but were severely disappointed with the absence of those tasty silvers.

Thanks for the update. Next weekend will be my last try for this year. I'd heard (for what that's worth) that silvers were out by Knight Island. If I get out this weekend, I'll post results.

I will be going down Friday for one more shot at finding some from shore. So far I've completely struck out, though. My hopes aren't high at this point, but I've gotta try. I'll update again with the results. If anyone has more current reports, post 'em up!

Default passage canal

Trolled Sunday afternoon and Monday morning on the west part of passage canal. From the reports we were not expecting much. On Sunday we trolled for 3 hours before hooking and landing a silver and then only 20 minutes later we hooked and landed a second!! Then back to nothing so we quit. On Monday after about an hour of trolling we had a hit but it got off. We were fishing about 2 miles east of the small boat harbor on the south side. We saw 4 other boats in that area, so maybe they had some luck. I'm happy to report that there are at least some out there and closer in (which saves gas). The whole time out we saw zero jumpers. Also, we stayed in the small boat harbor for the night and saw zero jumpers.

Default Nada

It was miserable in Whittier today.....if the fish are there no one could have caught them anyway.

Default Thursday Sucked .........

Fished an unweighted herring at the harbor, Salmon Run and the Beach today from 2:00 to 6:00 (high tide was at 1:15).

Did the following sequence after arrival: harbor - Run - Beach (by the big rocks along the road) - back to the harbor - back to the Run

Saw nothing, caught nothing, the other two people I saw had the same report.

Save your gas and toll money for something else ..............

Right now the weather forecast for Saturday is excellent. Two days ago it said "rain", of course. I'm sure it will, but I'm going down tomorrow anyway. I will catch a bunch of silvers and report back on how I did it.

Or perhaps I will catch none. In which case: have a great winter, all!

(Only 275 days until early run reds in the Kenai. Go put fresh line on those reels while you're thinking of it.)

This is so messed up. So really, what the heck is going on? How is it that we have slayed the silvers out of Whittier in the past, yet this year they are a bust? Are they late? Are they gonna be a no-show? Has this happened in years past or is this a new phenomenon that may show a bigger problem than we currently know of? This is really sad. Where are all those silvers that should be jumping all around Passage and Blackstone?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast