Thread: Kenai River Coho Fishing - Not as relaxing as people make it out to be

Default Kenai River Coho Fishing - Not as relaxing as people make it out to be

I keep hearing how there is so much "Angler controversy" during the King season, but never hear too much about issues during coho fishing.

I have been out Silver fishing (4) times this fall and during (2) of those trips I have gotten into yelling matches with people. I rarely ever see people yelling at each other during King season, so I ask myself what is causing this. "Anchoring", yep you got it, the number one issue with coho fishing on the Kenai is Anchoring. Here are my two instances where things got heated and tell me if I was in the wrong.

1.) 3 boats were fishing a drift backtrolling, myself and two guide boats. There was one 50 ft section of the drift where each of the boats would hook up. This went on for about an hour when a non-guided boat (like myself) decided to idle up right below me and prep to drop the hook. I told the guy he was anchoring right in the middle of the drift that we all had been fishing for an hour. He got mad yelled back, etc. Told me I didn't own the river, etc. I think that is wrong to screw up everyone elses fishing just because you want to anchor right on the "hot spot".

2.) Went out another time and saw a buoy in the river (right in the middle of my back trolling drift) and thought it was from a person fighting a King, because there wasn't a boat in sight. We end up doing a drift and catching a fish then go back up (about 20 minutes worth). Since people were anchored all around I decide to anchor 100 feet below the buoy. Long story short a guide set an anchor to save his spot, then went to pick up clients. I thought that was the most chicken #$%& thing to do, especially for a guide, and then of course he yells at me for anchoring right on top of him, etc.

The board of fish needs to look at regulations for Coho fishing on the river, because once anchors get envloved tempors flare.

Very good post, this might get heated up some but here it goes. There should never be a buoy bag left in the river without a boat tide to it. Its unfair to hog a spot on the river with an anchored/buoy all day this is not a guide verses Joe problem its an unethical problem thatís getting out of hand its like squatting on someoneís land if you ask me, it allso could be dangerous if you were to run over there buoy line and get it hung in your prop. I think anchoring a power boat is hard on the spawning beds the way they drag them on the bottom to get them set. Iv seen many of boats run up river and pull there anchor free dragging it 15/20 ft. no hole hogging. Flame On.

i would moved the guides buoy. there is NO excuse for that.

Default No guides on sundays!!!!!!!

There should be no guides on Sundays or Mondays just like July. That would be great. I think Mondays should be drift only all season long too.

Cut the buoy for safety reasons. What if someone gets the rope in the prop while running?
    Hike faster. I hear banjo music.

rmkak,

Great post. I completely agree with you. One thing that ticks me off and I've been seeing this more and more is I'll get up and on the river when it's dark and I'll get to a good spot but another boat will be there on the best spot. I'll be fishing and when it gets light enough to see in the other boat I'll notice one person in the boat. I'll hear a phone ring, the buoy is thrown, I notice it's a guide boat as it passes and they go to a boat launch to pick up their clients and come back to their buoy. This is completely wrong in my book. Start your day with your clients and take your chance that "your" spot is not occupied. It makes me laugh to think that a guide only knows one spot and if he/she can't be there that day they won't catch fish.

I did witness an interesting thing in August. On the only day that I've seen any park rangers on the river I watched them pick up an unattended buoy that a guide left. I wish the rangers were as visible as they are during the king season because a lot of this garbage would end.

bouys have been used on the kenai during silver fishing for a long time im suspecting. There is nothing wrong with anchoring up with a bouy. you motor to the spot you wish to fish. and anchor up. you hook a fish and you should be able to get your spot back.

how would you like it if you didn't use a bouy and on your way back up you notice another boat that scooted into the place you hooked your fish. you dont think tempers are gonna flare then?

don't complain about a bouy. just anchor down river and enjoy your fishing. i've even wondered many times about dragging the bottom but most of the holes people are anchord at are slow moving and with the proper anchor your not dragging much.

having someone anchored on a drift and backtrolling area well...either he is ignorant of the area or he just doesn't care. you can ask someone nicely that hey, ya know for the most part, this stretch of river most people back troll. it would be nice if you could move or we'll all just have to go around you. if that doesn't work, then just shrug it off. there are places to catch your silvers, don't be afraid to try new places. some day your gonna need them anyway. I no longer have my boat and i sure miss being on the river. It's a tough call but for me fall silver fishing is I think my favorite over the hustle and bustle of great summer kings and we sure all deserve some peace and quiet to reflect on the year and the winter that's approaching. And, Baseball in October

How about when you see a guide (or non guide) hooking silvers in one spot, you wait down river for them to finish getting their limit and leave only to see him call a friend who moves into the hole at the same time the first fisherman is leaving. Frustrating.

I agree with the earlier post. The whole year should be no guides on Sunday and Monday and No Motors on Mondays. They should add another no motor day where guide could fish from drift boats. Maybe Wednesdays.

Scott

Quote Originally Posted by honker View Post
    bouys have been used on the kenai during silver fishing for a long time im suspecting. There is nothing wrong with anchoring up with a bouy. you motor to the spot you wish to fish. and anchor up. you hook a fish and you should be able to get your spot back.

how would you like it if you didn't use a bouy and on your way back up you notice another boat that scooted into the place you hooked your fish. you dont think tempers are gonna flare then?

don't complain about a bouy. just anchor down river and enjoy your fishing. i've even wondered many times about dragging the bottom but most of the holes people are anchord at are slow moving and with the proper anchor your not dragging much.

having someone anchored on a drift and backtrolling area well...either he is ignorant of the area or he just doesn't care. you can ask someone nicely that hey, ya know for the most part, this stretch of river most people back troll. it would be nice if you could move or we'll all just have to go around you. if that doesn't work, then just shrug it off. there are places to catch your silvers, don't be afraid to try new places. some day your gonna need them anyway. I no longer have my boat and i sure miss being on the river. It's a tough call but for me fall silver fishing is I think my favorite over the hustle and bustle of great summer kings and we sure all deserve some peace and quiet to reflect on the year and the winter that's approaching. And, Baseball in October
    I agree buoys are OK for Silver fishing while fighting a fish, but they are not for saving your spot on the river and picking up clients at another location. Besides, I was over 100 feet below their boat, which was plenty.

Quote Originally Posted by tcman View Post
    rmkak,

Great post. I completely agree with you. One thing that ticks me off and I've been seeing this more and more is I'll get up and on the river when it's dark and I'll get to a good spot but another boat will be there on the best spot. I'll be fishing and when it gets light enough to see in the other boat I'll notice one person in the boat. I'll hear a phone ring, the buoy is thrown, I notice it's a guide boat as it passes and they go to a boat launch to pick up their clients and come back to their buoy. This is completely wrong in my book. Start your day with your clients and take your chance that "your" spot is not occupied. It makes me laugh to think that a guide only knows one spot and if he/she can't be there that day they won't catch fish.

I did witness an interesting thing in August. On the only day that I've seen any park rangers on the river I watched them pick up an unattended buoy that a guide left. I wish the rangers were as visible as they are during the king season because a lot of this garbage would end.

Bob Penney is famous for doing this one. He sends one of his hired hands out to sleep in the boat anchored up. I have actually been fishing along side this kid sleeping have heard his alarm clock go off! Then he throws the bouy and runs to Eagle Rock to pick up Bob and whomever he is fishing with that day. We have had several shouting matches over this. One day I did pull his bouy and throw in my boat. The anchor though somehow did manage to fall off and stay in the river. That was an interesting conversation when they got back. The other thing they will do if YOU are in the good hot spot is to get above you back right down on top of you so that they are actually hooking fish behind you boat. Most people get intimidated by this and end up leaving. I finally told Bob one day that he may as well move since I had no intention of moving and was going to sit and catch and release all morning long. (when it was still legal to do so). He huffed, and moved off. Boy, I don't miss my river boat at all these days. I sure love the peace out in the salt.

I was out just a week ago and noticed 90% of the boats out there were anchored up. The boat I was in was also anchored up. There was no taking the boat off the anchor to go chasing fish though, we're talking 14-16 pound silvers in most cases, not 50 pound kings. I would think if the majority of folks are anchored up, and I would say it was 40-50 boats, then the guys that want to be different go find a different section of river, with the understanding that someone might come out and anchor up in your drift pattern. Lot's of boats, there's no right or wrong way to do things, but, why go against the grain of the majority? Just my opinion. It's a big river, lots of fish.

I had a place on the lower river for 20 plus years. I used to tie my boat to a post I put on the bank in front. Then I set a bouy anchor and I could clip onto the back of my boat (way out of the way, mind you) to keep it off shore. It was really slick and I thought I had it made until the Ranger showed up at my door after about a week, told me I couldn't have an unattended bouy in the water. For years, I've seen guys "chase" silvers, unclipping, and then re-hooking. I always thought it was kind of a waste of time. I've never seen someone leave a bouy on a spot to come back later. That's poor upbringing. I've known Bob Penney a long time. A lot of the stories are just that. He knows more about the Kenai and how to fish it than most people will ever.

Default here goes

The regulations clearly state that a buoy may only be left unattended while fighting a fish. Thats pretty black and white. The rule is rarely enforced and I would call parks with the boat number of the offending party. It has become the norm in a lot of areas to throw the buoy when fighting silvers. The reason for it is because you will lose far fewer silvers going with them opposed to trying to pull them to the boat in fast water. It results in boats limiting out quicker and opening up more of the good spots for other boats. I agree it is getting a little out of hand. It is not a guide vs non guide issue. I have seen just as many private boats engage in this practice as guide boats. As far as anchoring in a backtroll spot, well all I have to say is at least 90 percent of the boats are anchoring and when in Rome do as the Romans do.

First it's cheap coleman tents in the woods during moose season. Now it's buoy's. **** you Mr Holdaspot.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

I raised a question about issue #1 (anchoring in a back trolling hole during silver season) some time ago because I, like you, ran into this scenario many times. The overwhelming majority of people i have talked to would say that you are wrong in this particular case... unlike kings season, there are no designated areas/holes for different methods of fishing. If you are back trolling and someone anchors in your drift, then you simply have to troll on the outside of them or find another place to back troll. I know it's frustrating because I've been there, but a back troller or two can't claim an entire stretch of river for their own. if you want the spot, anchor there first.
    on issue #2 you are completely correct. a boat can actually be cited for leaving an unattended buoy. they are only to be left while fighting a fish, and no other reason. using the bathroom, picking up clients or other fishermen, taking a break, going for lunch.... these are all unacceptable reasons to leave an anchor buoy. If you call the ranger they might come, wait for the boat to return, and write a ticket - if they have time.

Be sure to remember that this isn't a guide vs. joe fisherman issue... The guide was completely wrong, but he/she doesn't represent the majority. There are good guides and bad guides, just like there are good and bad private fishermen.
    www.akfishology.com

fishing isn't about life or death... it's more important than that.