Thread: 17 Whaler in Kodiak??

Default 17 Whaler in Kodiak??

I had planned on bringing my dads 17 whaler with a 115 yammi carb. I noticed that 17 Whalers were what the CG uses as moral boats. Along with 20 metal boats. But after looking at a few threads, that whalers may not be a good choice due to flotsam (or something like that). Although that was regarding a 13 whaler.

I plan on buying a couple ATV's to fish the road system and off beaten paths so I won't be able to buy when I get there.

Quote Originally Posted by Floridascuba View Post
    I had planned on bringing my dads 17 whaler with a 115 yammi carb. I noticed that 17 Whalers were what the CG uses as moral boats. Along with 20 metal boats. But after looking at a few threads, that whalers may not be a good choice due to flotsam (or something like that). Although that was regarding a 13 whaler.

I plan on buying a couple ATV's to fish the road system and off beaten paths so I won't be able to buy when I get there.
    When I worked the missile launch site we use to rent the CG Whalers and had a ball. Just had to pick your weather. They were pretty strict about the boundry limits but we always pushed further out without an issue. Caught some real nice fish in the 100 plus range. The 20' metals were not noticable any better, just a little more fishing room, but not much rides as well as a fiberglass boat especially a Whaler.

What about the flotsam? Which I am assuming is debris since it was mentioned about dents and such when runnin

Default Whaler

Bear guides used the 17' Whaler in some pretty rough water on Kodiak. Beaching can be a problem with glass boats & rocks. Which was one of the rules on the Rec boats @ Kodiak.
    You do not want to hit any objects at speed in any boat, some fiberglass foam core boats
    will get a water logged & heavy. Fuel saturation can be a serious problem in a foam core glass boat. Would love to have a 17' Whaler while stationed at Kodiak IMHO.

Remember the family having a 17' whaler with the fiberglass clamshell front. We took our family of SIX + dog on it down to the cabin a few times.

Gawd did that thing pound in a chop. Good way to loosen filling and kidney stones.

They are seaworthy and it's nice being close to the water, but . . . I'd never own unless it was a lake/water ski boat.

Take it you won't regret it. I spent alot of time on a 17' whaler while I was in Kodiak, even got into some pretty nasty water on a few occasions. The boat always did it's job although we did get wet alot. I remember a few times we had a stack of Blacktails and bunch of gear in it.

Quote Originally Posted by L. G. View Post
    They are seaworthy and it's nice being close to the water, but . . . I'd never own unless it was a lake/water ski boat.
    My boat is a18' Mako Flats boat. No way am I bringing that one. I will leave that for my dad and take his 17 whaler.

I will strip it down and remodel it. Need to figure out how to install my down rigger as well.