Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: why not

Default why not

so yesterday the 7 of sept i went to sportsmans to buy a new shotgun.when the guy called in my info he said my name is in a hold. I turned 21 in mid aug. I have bought other guns back in idaho . and have been in alaska for 10 months now im just trying to find why i have a hold. not sure if was because of the holiday or what and i am air force.
    has any one else ever had this problem or informtion about how i can find out why

Lot's of varied reasons: I've had the the following reasons come up when I've called for the FBI check.....past trouble with the law, spousal abuse problems, someone with the same name who has had law problems, etc.

Sometimes you just never know....

Default on hold

The most likely reason is a common name with someone else with the same or closely spelled
    name as yours. Until I protested, I was always having problems. These people running the
    checks ocassionally strike me as somewhat less than astute.

Yep, it is usually due to someone else with the same/similar name being on the "list". It usually just means that the instant check is no good and you'll have to wait for the more complete check to be finished.

These events also tally another stat for the Brady Camp to use as "another criminal prevented from purchasing a gun" even though it is pure BS. I'd bet 99% of those stats they claim about the success of the background check program come from technicality holds just like this one.

To avoid such things in the future, as it will no doubt haunt you from this point forward, I would suggest taking the CCW class and getting your state CCW license. That license allows you to skip the instant check when you present it at the gun counter as it took a more thorough background check through the state in order for you to get it.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

or better yet. never give them any info on you... lots of new guns are sold NIB by non FFL types every day.

put out a WTB add and chances are you will have many choices you may not have considered....NO FFL form and no record of purchase...

do get a receipt though.. that is the only thing to save your hide if you buy one you question... and did not run the Ser# on prior to purchase...
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Quote Originally Posted by JOAT View Post
    . . . I would suggest taking the CCW class and getting your state CCW license. That license allows you to skip the instant check when you present it at the gun counter as it took a more thorough background check through the state in order for you to get it.
    Not any more. I have had my Alaska CCW since 01 and used it to bypass the check till last year when I was told by 2 FFL holders they got to insta-check everyone now.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Quote Originally Posted by ADfields View Post
    Not any more. I have had my Alaska CCW since 01 and used it to bypass the check till last year when I was told by 2 FFL holders they got to insta-check everyone now.
    Hadn't heard that yet. Guess the feds are getting dumber all the time. Why rely on a real, thorough background check when you can do the silly instant compare your name to the known felon list thingie.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

Hey! If I look thru this empty beer bottle, I think I can see Russia from here!!!

Nice try all you guys, but from what I have learned, wrong. Chillytater as you are in the Air force you likely had a “secret” clearance at one point during your service. That clearance requires a background check by the FBI. As I understand it, one of the triggers for the many different criterion for the firearm purchase data base is any kind of FBI “query or investigation”.

So in an effort to speed up the process, one of the key triggers that kicks you out is if you have ever had an FBI “query or investigation” for any reason… like getting a “secret” security clearance, which pretty much everyone in the military has. It automatically flags you as having past FBI scrutiny and kicks you out of the auto approve pile and into the “take another look pile”.

Of course this information is second hand at best and as such could be totally bogus, but in my experience it seems to be spot on…
    “You’ve gotten soft. You’re like one of those police dogs who’s released in to the wild and gets eaten by a deer or something.” Bill McNeal of News Radio

As a holder of a significantly higher clearance than secret, I can tell you that this may not be the reason. I have never been held up on instant checks (through SEVERAL purchases), and my background gets checked more thoroughly than an Administration Czar. -Ok, maybe even more thoroughly than that.

Any idea how embarrassing it is to have to tell your 4th grade teachers- "no, I'm not in trouble, no I'm not a terrorist"

I have a secret clearance and have never been held up from the instant check... so what did they do a different one on me or somethin? I doubt his security clearance is the issue...

Quote Originally Posted by Alangaq View Post
    That clearance requires a background check by the FBI. As I understand it, one of the triggers for the many different criterion for the firearm purchase data base is any kind of FBI “query or investigation”
    Nope. I never have problems with the instant checks and I've got plenty of "FBI query" activity on my account. There's no relationship between clearances and the BATFE's instant denial list.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

Buy a rifle AFTER you test fire it. I know of no better method to get to know if the Rifle is "For Me", or has the potential to be.

Thats the best, and rarely requires a background check, just your check target and beyond.
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

Default Seems to go in cycles...

We go for several weeks sometimes with no "needs further", then, BAM, and about one in four gets held up. Sometimes for a few moments, sometimes for the full three business days.
    When the call goes in, it doesn't go to an FBI agent, or even employee, but a contractor who takes the call and looks at the data. Quite a few of 'em that I've spoken with on the phone do NOT give the impression that they're the sharpest knife in the drawer, and occasionally, we get a snotty one that you KNOW hates guns and gun owners.
    When I look over the 4473 before calling, I can generally spot a few things that will cause problems, and they are: witholding SSAN, completely illegible handwriting that causes mispelling of the name or dates (if I have the customer there and have to ask for clarification while I'm on the phone, I can just about guarantee that they're going to be held up).
    For 30+ years, I too, held a clearance a 'bit' higher than secret, and until I got the CCW, occasionally, I too was held up.
    No real rhyme or reason to it all. Sometimes, I think "they" just hold some up to prove they can......
    IF a CCW is not in the works, there's also another route that takes a bit of paperwork, and that's to get the "unique personal identifier" from BATFE. You have to request the paperwork, then after you get it, you put it on the 4473, and you immediately come up. The downside of it all is that per current law, they're not supposed to hang onto any information for more than 24 hours (yeah, right), but if you choose to go with the unique personal identifier, ALL of your transactions become permanent...
    Last edited by Darreld Walton; 09-11-2009 at 07:38. Reason: .

Quote Originally Posted by ADfields View Post
    If you have a nics exempt CCW they just have to fill out a different section on the paperwork. Thats it. Dont have to call at all, so they were probably being jerks.

Now, as far as I know, AK doesnt issue nics exempt ccw's anymore. It will show it on the front of your ccw permit either way. (had to fill that out for a customer yesterday lol)

Quote Originally Posted by North Polar View Post
    If you have a nics exempt CCW they just have to fill out a different section on the paperwork. Thats it. Dont have to call at all, so they were probably being jerks.

Now, as far as I know, AK doesnt issue nics exempt ccw's anymore. It will show it on the front of your ccw permit either way. (had to fill that out for a customer yesterday lol)
    Well the one does them for me for free so I sure won't call him a jerk.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Quote Originally Posted by North Polar View Post

It timed my edit out before I got all this all posted.

My CCW is from the exempt days, I used it to buy many a gun in the past.

I am in Phoenix now since Dad trying to pass away in the VA and I snuck out to the Crossroads gun show today. While there my brother picked up a Wilson 1911 and when he presented his Arizona CCW was told by that FFL that it’s no longer done. Then he was told the same thing again at the G&J sales booth when he picked up an old SMILE from them.

Hotter that the gates of hell down here but the good thing is the old Marine may pull through! I was told he had less than 2 hours left at one point but that was 4 days ago and they now give him a 30% chance to live. Tough SOB even at 90 years old!!
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

As an FFL holder I can inform some of our readers that if you still posess a current, valid Alaska concealed handgun permit that is NICS EXEMPT on the face then it is not required to call in a background check to NICS if you are purchasing a firearm in Alaska. However, AK is no longer issuing Exempt permits so these are slowly disappearing as they expire. It may be a Store policy to run checks on all buyers, but it is NOT required by law at this point if the buyer posesses an Exempt permit. Thanks! GUNBUGS

ADFields. Good to hear that your Dad is doing better. HTH? Heck it's finally starting to "cool down" around here.
    I wanted to get out to the show but Saturday was my birthday so my son and I went Dove hunting and Sunday was just a no-go.
    To the OP. I would look into why it was denied and get it straightened out ASAP.

I used to get turned down due to common name; person had a warrant, and my same first/last and middle initial.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

Never been turned down, or even delayed, they just make the phone call like there was no CCW involved at all so there is nothing to fix.

My Dad, Clyde W. Fields passed away at 01:24 Arizona time on 9/17/09 with all 5 children present. Among his last wishes was that people send any flower money to the NRA or DAV. Thanks for the kind words guys! I am so lucky to have had such a great hero for a Dad.

Good news is that I can go home to Alaska on Monday now.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast