Thread: Ok last one. Thoughts on these two smokers.

Default Ok last one. Thoughts on these two smokers.

So I had used a number of smokers over the years from a home made one from a metal trash can to a purpose built heavy wood smoker. All had there pluses but I am in the market for a smaller easy to use unit. I have looked at every single smoker in Juneau and have narrowed it down to two. Has anyone had any experience with either of these? The reviews for both are pretty good. Only thing is that the gas one supposedly runs hot and the electric one is inaccurate.
    -Smoke hollow gas smoker. At Fred Myers it was $200something. Looks rugged and uses gas which I like.
    -Cajun Injector 30" Black Electric Smoker. At Western Auto for $310ish. Looks well insulated and has a digital temp control.
    Thoughts.

I have been researching smokers all day. I currently have a wood smoker, but thinking of going electric. The 2 that kept popping up were

http://www.smokehouseproducts.com/pr...?categoryID=17

and a bradley digital

but this looks good to me as well.

http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/st..._SearchResults

be careful with that 2nd one, it is a good smoker. Having the temp control works well, but don't let it get wet. I found out the hard way! Was smoking some pork shoulder and it started as a very nice day, but that night out of no where the rain came (nothing forcasted that night). Woke up in the morning to a smoker that shorted out.

Yeah I looked at the Bradleys but they were too **** expensive. Plus I don't like the fact that if the feeder breaks or you can't find those pucks you're out of luck.

I have the Masterbuilt and am very pleased + my control box messed up and Masterbuilt sent me a new box for free

How long did you have it before the control box messed up? Seems like there were alot of complaints of people having the same problem online.

SemperFi;

I have a Masterbuilt with a digital control and it works Fantastic. I got mine from Cabelas about a year ago and I have done Ribs, Brisket, pork Sholders, chicken and Fish. It controls the Temp and Time perfectly and cost me around $2oo plus shipping and the shipping wasn't very high. I Recommend it to everybody.

My 2 Cents:

Gene

I'd stick with your Big Chief.... the only problem you'll really run into is the coil burning out, and, everyone sells replacements.

The upgrade from that is to build your own smoke house... that's what I was in the process of doing last year before my life changed direction.

I had insulated the walls, and was trying to wrap the inside in metal flashing for quick cleanup with a squeegee so I could easily switch from fish to game without worrying about tainting either with the other.

Bring that Chief to me... I'll show ya!
    "...just because we didn't agree with you doesn't mean we didn't have good discussion. It just means you missed it." -JMG-

Default chief limits

No Chief is going to do a pork shoulder properly; it can't get hot enough; you need 225F sustained. They do great with fish though.

I think I am going with this one. Seems to get a good review from here.

Floridascuba:

That looks like the Mastercraft I have it it will hold 225 degrees + or - 3 degrees all day long.
    Or what ever Temp You set it at.

Gene

I invested in a Cookshack smoker. Never looked back and it's about the easiest thing one can use.

http://store.cookshack.com/c-64-cookshack.aspx

(I've got the smaller Cookshack Elite, but you can get much larger smokers from them)

Have you guys checked out Traeger Grills? If not. you should. When I was up there I saw them in Sportsmen Warehouse in Wasilla. Go to www.traegergrills.com and order them thru www.traegeroutlet.com They are out of Oregon City OR. and they can ship them anywhere. These grills griil,BBQ and smoke foods usually wood pellets of any flavor you would like to use and they need electricity to power the feed auger and fan, the temperature stays constant to whatever you set it to, and the food tastes heavenly!!!!!! You won,t go back to charcoal or gas. They are worth the price to pay, and they come in many different sizes. CHECK THEM OUT!!!!!!!

Or you can build you own, make a box with plywood and some 2x4's. Mine looks just like an outhouse, it has a door and I found some metal racks that I use to put the fish on. The racks are supported by two beams that go across the middle. Mine is big enough for a person to stand in, so you can imagine how much fish I can fit in there if I chose to. For the burner, all I've been using this summer is my Coleman camp stove and a black cast iron skillet. Works great, set the heat on low and it starts smokin...

Fish On!
    You know your not catching any fish when you start talking about the weather...

http://www.alaskansalmonslayers.com/