Thread: house training.

North pole

Default house training.

Ok i got the pup home. he has been in the house for almost 2 weeks. the first week not a lot of problems. he went pee in the house a few times. no big deal that will happen. right after he did it i would take him outside and tell him to go potty and kept telling him until he did then he got a treat. well this week he will go potty outside and after we get in the house 5 min later he will go on the floor. i am not expecting him to be perfect. he is taken out about once if not twice an hour as well as right after he eats or drinks. Am i doing something wrong?

Kink Alaska surrounded by sled dog kennels, a fabulous view and lots of hunting.

Default Make a Big deal out of it.

He's not connecting that he needs to pee only outside yet. You can try to spend a little more time out with him so that he gets an immediate "atta boy" for peeing outside.
    Don't play with him until he pees. Make a big deal out of it, let him retrieve a toy, or play.
    Work on crate training.
    If his evironment is small he will be less likely to soil it.
    When you take him out of the crate take him outside immediatly.
    Don't let him drink freely. Put water down let him drink , pick up the water, then after a while - what ever his time is, take him out just before that.

Though when necessary, like the pup is 20+ weeks old or so I've resorted to the old time punishment," NO,Bad Dog!" a MILD swat or shake (not hard!) to make it a memerable event then right out in the yard. The response has to be immediate, like in mid stream to mean anything. When outside, wait until they pee there then give him big loves and "good boys". The few times I've had to go to that extream,really my failure in the other method, the dog never made the mistake again.

Be aware of subtle signs that he needs to go out. When you see it make sure to praise it heavily. Go out with him because it might be if you're going in the house he just wants back in to be with you and not finishing the job

Good luck.

Go outside with him and show him how its done.

Might want to hide from the neighbors tho.

Really tho it depends on your attitude and how you work with the dog. Never spank a dog on the ass, he needs to see your hand when it comes down on his nose. spanking him where he dos'nt see it coming will only put fear in him/her.

Somewhere between here and there.....

Rock, I tend to disagree with hitting a dog with anything/anywhere. What mother dog hits her pups? A dog does not understand "hitting" and NEVER rub their nose in it. We have used the old pennies in a can trick when a pup would be doing something he/she wasn't supposed to be doing(taking a squat, chewing, barking etc...) It comes out of no where, it makes a loud noise and they don't associate the sound with the human touch.....and as always, lots of praise when doing good. We always use the words "go potty", this has trained our dogs to potty on command and makes it convenient when traveling as well.

Just a hint, with a new pup that makes a mess on the floor, make a big deal over the mess, never looking at the pup, you yell bad pee! or bad Poop! This is not good, BAD BAD BAD in a bold gruff voice...while cleaning it up. Glance over at your pup, (not directing the criticisms towards him or her) and look at it's face. Without even touching the dog, and making such an ugly scene over the "mess", will make the biggest impression you will ever see without ever laying a hand on your pup.
    "In the interest of protecting my privacy I will no longer be accepting Private Messages generated from this site and if you email me, it better be good!"