Thread: Troubleshooting help

Default Troubleshooting help

I'm having an odd issue with my 2007 Yamaha Big Bear 400. This weekend, I noticed that engine would appear to "cut out" when gradually applying throttle, almost as if it were temporarily starved of fuel. When I give it full choke, the problem goes away. The machine will not idle with full choke, but it idles just fine without choke. If I turn the idle up, it will idle at full choke, but then idle way too high without choke.

If I'm already at speed, I can move the choke lever back down and it will mantain speed fine, but if I start to decelerate and the accelerate, it will start to bog down again.

This machine did take a swim up at Knik a couple of months ago. I pulled the airbox, plug and drained the water. The oil was changed. After that event, I put 50-60 miles on it without any problems. I pulled the drain screw from the carbeurator in case there was any standing water. Problem still exists. I'm wondering if the carb needs to be cleaned thoroughly.

Any other ideas?

Default my bear

My bear did about the same thing a few years ago. I put fresh gas in it and made sure the bowl was completely drained and it came right out of it. Sounds like H20 in the system.

Try stripping your whole carb apart and spraying it down with carb cleaner, a jet could be clogged. How does the air filter look?

Thanks byrd_hntr and northpoleguy. I think you're both probably right about their being water in the system somewhere and the carb being dirty. I think I'll just pull the carb off and give it a good cleaning as suggested, and drain the gas as well.

The air filter looks just fine.