Thread: Where to get alder wood chips in Juneau?

Default Where to get alder wood chips in Juneau?

Are there any stores in Juneau that sell alder wood chips?

Just go cut your own, and split it into small kindling. You don't have to use to chips in a smoker, I use alder kindling and it works fine.

Make sure you strip off the bark, as it gives a nasty after taste.

Freddies or Western Auto.

You get into the cohos? or these you Sweethart sockeye?

They were really nailing 'em at DIPAC at 10 this morning.

Will try to fill my cooler up later this week.

Starting to get a little bigger too . . .

Default Iternet alder...

Those of us stuck way down in the Lower 48 have no choice but to order it via the Net.

I use www.barbcuewood.com. Watch for their specials...

Rosenberg/Florida
    "Two decades researching and defining fishing opportunities in the Last Frontier!"

Default Paul is right

Quote Originally Posted by Paul H View Post
    Just go cut your own, and split it into small kindling. You don't have to use to chips in a smoker, I use alder kindling and it works fine.

Make sure you strip off the bark, as it gives a nasty after taste.
    Cut some 3-4" peices, as long as is manageable, peel them (it's easy), place one on a chopping block at an angle, then start making chops with a hatchet at the base of the piece, rotating for each chop. This produces small wedge-shaped pieces which are perfect for smokers with a heat pan of some sort.

If you have a regular smoker with a stove or burn pot, just throw in regular pieces.

Another way I've done it is to take a 2-3" diameter branch, and use a chop saw to cut 3/8 or 1/2" biscuits from the branch.

Don't forget to peel!

Alder grows all over the northern planes states and Canada. It was the number 2 choice of smoker woods in Michigan, apple being number one. Can not believe we have become so dependant on our consumer based system even a marine lacks enough independence to go collect some from the woods and cut it up!

BTW some folks like the slightly bitter taste the bark imparts to the food and green wood works much better than bone dry mulch that's been sitting in a bag for who knows how long.
    BHA Member
    Bowyer to the forces of light in the land of the midnight sun.
    The 3 fold way: Every step we take as we walk through life effects, our family, our comunity and ourselves. One should walk thoughtfuly.

Quote Originally Posted by L. G. View Post
    Freddies or Western Auto.

You get into the cohos? or these you Sweethart sockeye?

They were really nailing 'em at DIPAC at 10 this morning.

Will try to fill my cooler up later this week.

Starting to get a little bigger too . . .
    Both. I picked up fly fishing for the first time this weekend after starting a course at UAS. Went to Montana Sat and Mon. Limited out in two hours at both spots. Not bad for the first time ever fly fishing!

Quote Originally Posted by Rick P View Post
    Alder grows all over the northern planes states and Canada. It was the number 2 choice of smoker woods in Michigan, apple being number one. Can not believe we have become so dependant on our consumer based system even a marine lacks enough independence to go collect some from the woods and cut it up!

BTW some folks like the slightly bitter taste the bark imparts to the food and green wood works much better than bone dry mulch that's been sitting in a bag for who knows how long.
    Yeah yeah...I should have thought ahead and cut some this weekend. It was a last minute thought to do some smoking and I won't have time to get some before tonight unless I buy it. Lame I know.

Quote Originally Posted by SemperFi View Post
    Yeah yeah...I should have thought ahead and cut some this weekend. It was a last minute thought to do some smoking and I won't have time to get some before tonight unless I buy it. Lame I know.
    you suck my friend I wanted to take the class but Alas I have volunteer projects every sat this month and next so im left figuring out this fly fishing thing on my own. just the same though it's a lot of fun. Drop me a line if you want an inexperienced partner.

Quote Originally Posted by ggoodman View Post
    you suck my friend I wanted to take the class but Alas I have volunteer projects every sat this month and next so im left figuring out this fly fishing thing on my own. just the same though it's a lot of fun. Drop me a line if you want an inexperienced partner.
    The class is awesome. The instructor, Ron, really makes the class. Unfortunately he is retiring this year. I am planning on hitting Montana again Thurs afternoon for a few hours around 5. I don't mind sharing the little bit I have learned.

Default Ron

Ron's class is what got me into fly fishing. I really like the guy.

SemperFi,
    Most avalanche paths are covered with alder. It's pretty easy to find.
    ><((((>.`..`.. ><((((>`..`.><((((>

"People who drink light 'beer' don't like the taste of beer; they
    just like to pee a lot." --Capitol Brewery

SF - I'll meet you in your other thread.

But what type of smoker do you have? That's critical for the type of chips you are looking for.
    "...just because we didn't agree with you doesn't mean we didn't have good discussion. It just means you missed it." -JMG-