Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Caribou location - Haul Road

Default Caribou location - Haul Road

Hello
    We're on the road right now just south of Wasilla headed north for the slope. Anyone just back that might be able to clue us in to where the animals were this weekend. We're hoping to stick to the road with our bows.

Thanks

So you are asking for location of animals via radio comunication?

Default location

Quote Originally Posted by Rich_in_AK View Post
    So you are asking for location of animals via radio comunication?
    I am assuming Rich is joking about the radio communication comment. You never know on this forum!

I thought i saw a thread in the bowhunting forum that had a recent update.

Good luck.

I don't know why you think it is a joke. He said he is mobile which means he is on cell phone or wireless internet. That is radio waves if you don't understand how it works.

Cool the law?

Would this be in the "spirit" of the law or the letter of the law? After all, he is almost 600 miles from those animals.

I haven't seen any distance requirements in the law that allow radio communications and I don't think the trooper that arrests him will care about quibling over the spirit of the law. I am sure there are a lot of hunters out there receiving up to date info via wireless com but very few of them are dumb enough to anounce it over the WWW.

You never know. The caribou are where you find them. That changes hour by hour.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Quote Originally Posted by John S View Post
    Hello
    We're on the road right now just south of Wasilla headed north for the slope. Anyone just back that might be able to clue us in to where the animals were this weekend. We're hoping to stick to the road with our bows.

Thanks

Cant believe we are even going down this road but if you look at the exact question he is asking where the animals "were" this weekend not where they currently "are". Yes he is utilizing radio waves but he is asking for a **** report on the bou, he isnt asking someone to locate one and follow it around until he can get up there and shoot it. Caribou move occasionally so where they "were" is not going to be where they "are".

There have been a lot of "haul rd" threads over the years where people give out the last known location of the bou. Maybe the troopers can go through all of those threads and start handing out fines. Come to think of it i will go ahead and turn myself in. In 2007 I hunted the AK Peninsula and a friend who hunted it two years prior told me where he saw bears during his hunt. He told me this information over the phone so go ahead and give me my fine.

Blah, blah, blah, regarding the previous comments.

We saw the most caribou (by far) around the Kuparak area and we drove all the way to Deadhorse (2 days ago). Good luck and shoot straight.

Quote Originally Posted by jpost View Post
    Blah, blah, blah, regarding the previous comments.

We saw the most caribou (by far) around the Kuparak area and we drove all the way to Deadhorse (2 days ago). Good luck and shoot straight.
    Thanks for the update on the bou. Thought the bla bla was great

seems like theres to many wana be troopers on this forum get over it people and just **** up if theres something being done wrong the troopers are watching and theyll take care of it. dont reply unless you have something good to say im so sick of people coming on threads and telling people what there doing wrong if they are itll get taken care of. John S wont be there for a long time and the caribou move so much. good luck on ur hunt John and bring back some nice ones. If you wana bust people then go to trooper school.

As a retired state gamewarden/federal officer I have but one thing to say...

Geeze, get a life. Radio commo? You got to be kidding...lol

I think this law was meant to go more like this... "Joe, there are three moose in the next valley, I have them spotted and staked out for you, hurry.. That's 10-4 Jack, will be there as soon as we can, keep them in sight"....

Not asking for help a million miles away. If that was the case, the guides would never be able to pre season scout and report back to the hunters of the game numbers and the conditions...

My 2cents worth...and no, you couldn't buy a cup of coffe with it...lol

Wow, ok just to clarify. I wasn't driving and typing we had stopped at a friends
    house for a break and I was using the computer their. Sorry to start a ruckus we won't be on the haul rd for days yet. Leisurely headed north with the wives along. I don't post much and this is a good reminder why it's best just to be a watcher and not a poster.

I happen to agree with most of the comments actually. I was not trying to police anyone just give a heads up advise for us all. That is: Don't tell the anti-hunt groups that monitor our forum that we are using wireless com to locate animals. They will use that against us. He has since changed his mind that he wasn't on the road so that is good. I never would have commented if that had been his story all along.

Quote Originally Posted by John S View Post
    Hello
    We're on the road right now just south of Wasilla headed north for the slope.
    Wow, ok just to clarify. I wasn't driving and typing we had stopped at a friends
    house for a break and I was using the computer their
    Nice save!!!

I havent done this hunt, but from all the post ive seen regarding it, i wouldnt have to ask to find out where they were. If I watch postings close i might even be able to narrow that area down to where they are within a few miles. Someone is always proud to say where and when as they tell their success or failure to shoot one story. I dont have the time or i might be taking side notes or using copy and paste functions to a notepad folder.

I dont think you intentionaly wanted to break any laws but i do see how a guy could sit up on the haul road and use a wireless to break the law of communicating with other hunters to direct them to a game animal.

People do get their panties in a bunch on certain fine line issues and this one was pretty fine line as you stated you were "on the road",unless you meant walking on the side of the road with your big thumb up hitching a ride all that way

good luck and untill they outlaw hunting forums people will just gather info and stay away from asking direct questions

Tell us how you do and what mile marker you hunt Just pick a milepost as i never belieive a hunt story to be completely true anyway! Just make it sound good!!

Default location

Still not sure where the "fine" line is or how the antis might think we are using wireless to "locate" animals. The question asked was where the bou were this past weekend and the question was clearly asked while the hunter was still "south of wasilla". ANY info on bou locations would have been old news by the time the hunter made it to the north slope.

There was nothing at all wrong with the post regardless of how/when it was sent. Every year tons of people post on the forum "where the bou are" for both the 40 mile herd and the haul rd. There is always a running thread with reports/locatons from hunters

Make sure you don't drive .3 mph over the speed limit on the way there or the antis will get us. Please don't post any pictures of the hunt or even tell the story or the antis will get us.

I saw some caribou up north. Now if you read this you cannot hunt there. What a load.

John,

We drove back from the slope on our hunt and seen a pile around Kaparuk as well.

GO KILL EM

Default haul rd.

we saw at least a hundred per day about 5 to 7 miles off the rd., even had a small herd walk right through camp while we were quartering one. but we didn't see many driving up or back, there was a small group near the kupuruk but that was all we saw near the rd.

Hey, we asked a fish and game trooper about this very subject over the weekend. Guess what it is not illegal to contact via the internet. Rhinos,telephones, cbs, & vhf radios yes, internet no. stop your whining and good luck hunting.:d

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast