Thread: Homer Labor Day Weekend

Default Homer Labor Day Weekend

Just wanted to post up what we found. Fished Homer from Friday through Sunday with a couple buddies up from Reno. Caught a couple limits of halibut near Seldovia and some rocks out of Tutka Bay. Other than that not too much. The butts are still there but it sure appeared the Silvers were dying down. Ran into the State Troopers a couple times. Nice enough guys.

Great weather for a weekend trip. Got my anchor hung up and couldn't get it up. Guess that's the cost of boat ownership. Anyway, hope some others had as good a luck.

Buy yourself a buoy and get a big steel O ring. You won't lose an achor anymore. Trust me.
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

Well I don't know about that. I have a bouy w/ steal ring. Still wouldn't come up. Thanks for the info though.

Quote Originally Posted by patrickL View Post
    I have a bouy w/ steal ring. Still wouldn't come up.
    The trick is to steal a different anchor, not salvage the one that's hung up.

That could work. Might be just as dangerous to steal an anchor as it would be to keep trying to pull up a stuck anchor

I was there sat-sun, got a couple of kings, limits of chickens by Seldovia and a shark. Also had some small lings and rockfish that we didn't keep. Couldn't ask for better weather/sea conditions. One thing is that we got really lucky Sunday when right after we pulled into the harbor the fog came in really thick and covered the whole bay. We were driving back in the fog almost to clam gulch I think.
    I was in a small gray/orange RIB.

Default rib and a shark

How was the rib and a shark......are ya glad he didn't bite the cone off the back pontoon??

Yeah we ran into that fog coming back in on Sunday. We were out past Seldovia catching our limit of butts when I looked up and saw the fog already in over Homer. We finished up fileting and headed in. We hit the fog a few miles out. Luckily it wasn't too bad. You could still see well enough to keep moving. It was really odd though. When we hit the spit the fog lifted and had moved out by the time we got the boat trailered and ready to go.

A great weekend weather and fishing wise though.

Quote Originally Posted by Bullelkklr View Post
    How was the rib and a shark......are ya glad he didn't bite the cone off the back pontoon??
    Yeah we made sure to keep that shark off to the side and I had a hard time gaffing it due to it's skin being so tough.
    It also gave birth to a couple of little baby sharks on the way back, and we pulled about 8 more at the cleaning station.