Thread: Powder coating?

Default Powder coating?

Just curious...

When refinishing a barrel/parts, why doesn't anybody powder coat them? I know it adds a bit of size to parts, but it is extremely durable as well.

The reason I am asking...

I have an older Winchester Model 70, 300 win mag (blued). It seems, no matter how much I try, every time It is exposed to the elements it starts to rust. I just returned from a hunting trip, and now I need to refinish it again. So, I was wondering If I should have the barrel powder coated, or take it to a smith in anchorage for refinishing...I would really like a low maintenance coating, preferably black.

I am sure the p-coating is relatively cheap, but how much does the smiths around here charge to refinish?

Thanks

Joe

They got a new stuff like powdercoat out here in the valley at Advanced Coatings it's thin like blueing and gets baked on. I'd like to try it on something think I'll start with some mags. I think the main thing is having someone break it down and you just bring them a box of parts
    Visions Steel/841-WELD(9353)
    "Rebellion is in my blood, I was born an American"
    Μολών λαβέ

I was actually thinking of bringing it to them. I'll break it down, and have them bake it up (provided nobody has any big reasons not to get p-coating).

He didn't call it powdercoating it was some other name but same principal, I was thinking olive green, wouldn't that be cool
    Μολών λαβέ

Maybe because it would look hideous. I take blued firearms out in the rain, they don't rust, and I know many millions of others have taken firearms out into the rain too.

Whether it is a firearm or anything else, the trick is caring for it properly. If yours are rusting, what are you doing/not doing for prevention?
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Better living through chemistry (I'm a chemist)

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...

hideius is that avitar!
    Μολών λαβέ

Quote Originally Posted by Nitroman View Post
    Whether it is a firearm or anything else, the trick is caring for it properly. If yours are rusting, what are you doing/not doing for prevention?
    I treat it the same way I treat my 870 Wingmaster (my other blued gun). I keep it oiled up and clean. I take it with me in the rain bird hunting and it doesn't get little rust spots on it...I think there is just something with the blueing on my 300 that could be messed up.

I bought it used, and ever since then every time it gets exposed to moisture it just starts to get the rust spots all over the barrel.

Why do you think p-coating would look like crap?

If you want an inexpensive finish that will last for a couple of years and is easy to replace or remove then paint the metal parts with rustoleum spray paint.
    Tennessee

Quote Originally Posted by c-bolt View Post
    I treat it the same way I treat my 870 Wingmaster (my other blued gun). I keep it oiled up and clean. I take it with me in the rain bird hunting and it doesn't get little rust spots on it...I think there is just something with the blueing on my 300 that could be messed up.

I bought it used, and ever since then every time it gets exposed to moisture it just starts to get the rust spots all over the barrel.

Why do you think p-coating would look like crap?
    That is odd. But you know, when we came back from the Philippines in 1965, my dad brought a Pachinko machine. The metal parts began rusting immediately, but where we were stationed, the humidity level was far less than that of the Philippines. You wouldn't think there would be anything to this, but I've seen it.

You could have it Parkerized by a reputable firm, or if money wasn't an issue, rust blued. Then there would be a layer of material that would be able to hold the oil.

Powder-coating...it has a thickness to it that is clearly visible, it varies in depth, can chip, and simply would look....well....not good. Before you do this, you could ask at local shops for a barrel that was been removed from a firearm, that is unusable, have it coated, then see what it looks like. This would be a way to actually see it, without the cost of having your rifle coated.
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Better living through chemistry (I'm a chemist)

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...

Thanks Snowwolfe for the validation, I have previously been hesitant to admit I was too cheap to go with re-blue, parkerize etc.
    I used Rust-Oleum "textured metal aged iron" on mine and it looks cool. Its a dark gray with white and black flecks in it.
    No chips yet after thrashing the brush brutally on Kodiak.

So APC out here in the valley does Cerakote. I'm going to be bringing Mark my stuff this week.

What parts should I not get coated? Any areas that should definately not get taken care of?

Thanks

Joe