Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Interior Moose hunt report

Default Interior Moose hunt report

Well we made a quick hunt to the interior. Not the greatest timing, but all we could do with the time we have available. Saw 3 bulls Friday night, one was in the 60" range and the other two were paddle horns. Unfortunately, they were in an area where the season isn't open for another week. Gee I wonder why they would be there? Saw some more cows in the morning and the same bull, but nothing else. Lots of sign. Found a real nice shed, took it home. Way too hot out. Moose seemed pretty lathargic. Until it cools down they'll be pretty low key. Didn't see anything Sunday. thought id report.
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

about matches my report except we didn't see a thing, too hot and a full moon to top it off.

lots of bear sign

Didnt go moose hunting this past weekend, but i have heard the same thing from two different groups hunting in two different GMUs. I was out camping all weekend and also noticed the very bright, very full moon.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

we had about an hour in the am to spot before they bedded... and 1.5 in the eve before dark. as soon as the sun showed they bedded until it set..
    it was HOT out.....

the full moon was definitely a hindrance, allowing them to play all night..

was surprised at the late risers...

the average hunter hit the hills at 9 am...

as they moose bedded down.

yesterday there was a solid stream coming in to ferry at noon the kids and i were up and fed and on the trail by 0530 every am.. they rather enjoyed sleeping in for school this am
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

I forgot to mention we ran into the rudest hunters I've ever seen. Riding down a trail on the wheelers and here comes 2 guys on their wheelers. No big deal, they'll go somewhere else.... 3 MILES LATER THEY ARE STILL BEHIND US. Right behind us. We are going about 5 mph too, so they were back there awhile. I was not amused. Followed us right to an area we wanted to make an evening hunt, and then went 50 yards below where we parked our wheelers and started calling At 4 o clock in the afternoon and 68 degrees! So we walked about a mile away, found a nice shady spot in some tundra like ground and took a nice nap. Woke up around 6 and they were long gone. Started some scraping around 6, did a few bull grunts too. Might have had a bull coming. Wouldn't grunt but you could hear what sounded like antlers dinging against a tree. Never saw him though.
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

I hope people are connecting and getting full freezers.

Anybody have any more recent reports? I'm heading out again for the weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by pike_palace View Post
    I forgot to mention we ran into the rudest hunters I've ever seen. Riding down a trail on the wheelers and here comes 2 guys on their wheelers. No big deal, they'll go somewhere else...Woke up around 6 and they were long gone. Started some scraping around 6, did a few bull grunts too. .
    You must have been in their spot...ethically the thing to do would have been to find another place to hunt

My hunts have also been foiled by rude, ethically challenged hunters who think they own the world.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

Last time I checked public land was public land and is open to the public...there is a level of respecting the other hunters around and maybe moving onto another hunting area...Im sure it has happened to all of us at one time or another....its just funny how this subject always comes up and always gets debated because people seem to beleive that is " Their hunting spot "....do you think you own that hunting spot that you may or may not go back to every year...unless you own that property everyone has the same right as you to hunt it....I have had to hunt numerous other spots due to other hunters. This past baiting season I had an ******* bait less than a half mile from me after he knew exactly where I was...I made the best of it and if you know your the one an officer in the air force at eielson and your buddy works at sportsmans warehouse in fairbanks...you both should be ashamed of yourselves

wow aren't there enough threads going about ethics and my spot already?

Lets leave this one readable and perhaps useful - anyone have any actual moose hunting reports? No moose, some moose, dead moose? Hopefully things are picking up a bit midway through the season, leaves coming down more, slightly cooler temps, and not so bright moon.

good hunting

It was irritating as of all the places they could go, they just had to follow us all they way there. I know I wouldn't follow someone all the way back with as many options as there was. Just don't understand why people don't respect a little bit of space.

Everyone has the right to hunt an area - we already know that; it's how people conduct themselves around others..it's those who carry the "me me me, mine mine mine" attitude.

P_P, I wouldn't be too surprised if they were hoping you'd kick something up. More often than not, when someone passes me...I see something.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

Quote Originally Posted by pike_palace View Post
    they just had to follow us all they way there. .
    why didn't you just pull over and let them pass..........I mean, if it was so irritating and all.....
    ------------------------------------------------
    pull my finger....

i thought this was a moose hunting report?! who cares who went to whos spot on public land there are way too many threads that turn into this WE DONT CARE... if you dont want to deal with people dont hunt around anchorage, wasilla, the kenai penn. the seward penn. fairbanks and everywhere else there is people around. i hate to break this to you but there are peple everywhere. deal with it even up here in the arctic you still have lots of hunters you either need to learn how to get along, adapt, or quit hunting. stop whining

hunt report... had family hunting quite a few days last week saw a few bulls but nothing legal quite a few cows with calves. the bulls don't seem to be rutting yet at least all the cows we saw didn't have any bulls hanging around.

not an interior report, but I talked to a friend in nome - sounds like lots of bears

Quote Originally Posted by akjw7 View Post
    not an interior report, but I talked to a friend in nome - sounds like lots of bears
    Haven't known of anyone up there that actually likes bears. Some shoot bears just to see them dead - moose decline and folks having their cabins/fish camps broken into. The information passed on to me is that until 40 years ago there was no moose population. Moose made there way due to predatory pressure. Winter is already a real ***** and claim quite a few animals. Lots of nice bears to be had up there.

Was out 4 days in minto flats saw 2 cows and 2 bulls. Both very nice bulls just out of reach though. Had one calling, called back and had them coming my way till some ya-hoo decided to shoot at some ducks on the slough and well lets just say they stopped in there tracks!!! Hope the weather starts working for all of us up here, the seasons almost over.

Last week I left with a buddy on wheelers for a overnight moose hunt, along the way we passed by an area with a gut pile I knew had been left there 2 nights before. Sure enough, right in the middle of the trail, a giant pile of crap with chunks of guts in it.......and still warm!! Yes, i touched it A few tracks heading down the trail and looking at my buddy, he gave me a nod, it was time to do our duty and clean up a bear. Riding our wheelers at a pretty decent clip, we started coming up on extreamly fresh poop piles, it became obvious that the bear was running the trail in front of us and trying to make himself as light as possible by crapping every 1/2 mile. Tracks in the mud confirmed that he was running full out. It was kind of unlucky for the bear that he decided to run down the same trail we had to take to get to camp. I started to get pretty excited, but then a little nervous as the trail entered a pretty thick alder forest, the kind where visibility is about 5FT around and the alders are about 10 feet tall. I took my gun out of its boot and thought "Wow, this is a really bad spot to get charged by a bear", and 100 yards into the alders I smelled a rotten "dead" smell. I stopped my wheeler and turned to look at my friend, and the look on his face was classic as he mouthed the words "He's in here!" We got through the alders to an open area where we were supposed to camp, and never saw the bear, but it sure was intense knowing we were right on him.

That evening we counted 13 moose on the hillside. Some cow/calf groups and two bulls had about 3 cows each, so it was nice to know that they were starting to herd up. One of the bulls was pretty far off, but we could see red all over his antlers, he had just scraped all his velvet off by the looks of it. But then it got hot as all heck and we just caught glimpses the next morning before the sun drove em into the bushs for a nap. Anyways, not much of a report, but thought I would share a quick story. This was in unit 13 by the way.
    The Second Amendment.......Know it, love it, support it.

Default Still warm, but.

I drive between Eielson and Fairbanks nearly every day. In the past 3 days I have noticed signifacnt moose movement increase. I have seee 2 bulls and several cows. All in the usual places you would expect both in the FMA and the AFB side of the dike.

Also, I am on the road recovery team for our church and we have had two moose to recover int he past 7 days. ONe was an illegal kill and the other was a vehicular homicide The moose are moving, but it is till warm. I saw on the waether service page that today made a record for consecutive days above 70 in Sept here in town. that SUX!

I kow there weer a TON of vehicles at both Fred Meyers and Safeways stores this evening, if you are hunting unit 20 this weekend, I bet you are not very far from other folks. Good luck!

went to clear creek for the weekend - crowded

I'd pass a camp and try to go a half mile before even thinking about stoping - so many camps that it made finding spots to hunt hard. several times I had gone far enough in my mind to stop and hunt that I said "okay - four more bends and if there's no camps I'll stop. so I'd stop and hunt, only to discover an active treestand 1/2 mile in. Other times I'd get back in the boat to continue upriver and come upon a camp one or two bends from where I just stopped and hunted for an hour.

a little frustrating just because I don't want to intrude close to anyones camp.

talked to several boats coming out Sunday that said the water was getting too shallow. none had moose. I didn't see or hear a thing. had a good time checking out a new area.

I noticed that in the last 4-5 days the bulls are starting to spend more time searching for cows and are making themselves quite visible. If you see a cow/cows, keep an eye on them as a bull can't be too far away.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast