Thread: Is THIS bull legal?

Default Is THIS bull legal?

stalked this guy to 20 yards, just couldn't determine if he was legal, had to have been high 40"s low 50"s. Did not make it by browtines. Either way, amazing animal and awesome experience. Just couldn't tell if he was 50". and thats as close as I've been to a bull moose during hunting season, if it was that close, shouldn't pull the trigger I guess. Tough to let him walk, but my hunting partner and I agreed it was the right decision.

Sorry for the low zoom quality of the camera.

What do you more experienced moose hunters think? Was he legal? How big?
    (See attachments for pics)
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default I can't either

I can't tell by the pic, nice bull, but like you said...borderline. Better to let it walk than deal with the alternative. Were you bow hunting? That's awesome to get that close.

Thumbs up

He is a Mulligan Bull. You and your partner did right. Notice the V shape of the antlers. Tell tale sign of an immature bull.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

tweener, good job passing

He's a 49 and a half bull. He could be big enough but you can only imagine how those horns would start shrinking the second you pulled the trigger.
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming-----WOW-----what a ride!
    Unknown author

Default Close

You made the right decision. Hes borderline. I wouldn't have shot him, at least the best I can tell from the pics that is. I'd put him right there at 50" if I was guessing. Within a inch or two one way or the other. Good job.
    Mike

Good decision bro. I usually pass on bulls that dont have the right amount of browtines and that are boarderline like that.

Default I wonder?

Anybody ever see any stats on what the percentage of bulls may be that will never grow a rack that would make them legal? Just curious how many get passed and they would never be a shooter?