Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Women hunters

Thumbs up Women hunters

It seems more and more women are coming back to hunting. That's great! Here's an article I came across today. Last week I was talking to a lady (a grandma to boot) who has drawn DCUA sheep 6 times in the last 19 years. Killed 5 rams too. Including one this past season. I took my wife moose hunting a couple times. She doesn't like seeing the "big dead brown eyes". She has no problem though when I bring it home in chunks! She's a pro at processing! But, she leaves the killing part to me.

Article>>>>
    "...That's because an increasing number of women are heading into the woods, becoming one of the most enthusiastic segments of the hunting world."

http://today.reuters.com/news/articl...lso_on_reuters
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

Thumbs up

Yea For wommen hunters! If it wasnt for us women hunters, who would you male hunters snuggle with. Wait, dont answer that question, there are probably some things best left unsaid. <grin>

Quote Originally Posted by Snyd View Post
    Last week I was talking to a lady (a grandma to boot) who has drawn DCUA sheep 6 times in the last 19 years. Killed 5 rams too. Including one this past season.
    I am not that Grandma, but a grandma that hunts all the same. There are more of us gals out there than you guys think. Especially here in Alaska!

Alaska Grandma

My wife started moose hunting with me again this past season. She carried my Rem 870 .410 and was able to put quite a few birds in the stew pot. She enjoyed herself so much I recently bought a rifle (Remington 700 Synthetic Youth Model) for her. She will be packing it next year. She has been shooting handguns for several years, has her CCW, and was a range officer for a couple years. Hoorah for women and guns, I love it!! We need all the help we can get for advocating gun rights!
    Someday someone may kill you with your own gun, but they should have to beat you to death with it because it is empty.

Bethel, Cantwell, Fort Yukon, Skagway, Chevak and Point Hope

My wife hunts waterfowl with me. Just can't get her away from the daily shower to spend 15 days in the field with me on a moose hunt. :-)

I must weigh in on this one...

In my HE courses, I'm seeing many women come to the classes as more than just support for their kids. These women have a desire to "get out there and hunt."

I find their contributions to the classes are intuitive and they usually study the material in more depth and are better prepared than many of the guys.

In the last class, a mother was there with her son because;
    "My son wants to hunt and his father is not interested and I am." That one impressed me! She did well on the test too. I told the young man how blessed he was to have such a mother, and that many guys were gonna be envious of his good fortune. His mom was beaming.

A few classes ago was about half women. When we got to the firearms segment they REALLY wanted to talk about ballistics and bullet performance. These LADIES had done their homework and knew their stuff. I was fortunate to be in the room.

It's not just the boys anymore! My wife just became an instructor and has informed me she's gonna join B.O.W....sheesh guess I'll just have to struggle through.

Thumbs up Welcome Alaska Grandma

Quote Originally Posted by Alaska Grandma View Post
    I am not that Grandma, but a grandma that hunts all the same. There are more of us gals out there than you guys think. Especially here in Alaska!

Alaska Grandma
    Welcome to the forums Alaska Grandma! Your're right about lots of women hunters in Alaska. I know a few of them. Lets hear some of your stories!
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

Talking

Shoot I'd love to find a gal that liked to hunt/fish, If ya'll know of one, mid 20's lemme know LOL!!

Back on topic...I know of an elderly woman, in her late 70's who goes out on guided bear hunts in the southeast...her rifle of choice is a remington .375.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

My wife and I have shared a tent on Kodiak while deer hunting where she has shoot several nice bucks. She has also killed a really nice caribou. She has had several chances on a grizzly but so far hasnt connected. Maybe next year!
    Tennessee

Default My Girl

When I told my old lady that there was a thread on here about women hunters her response was "You should give them your phone number"......LOL
    She supports me when I hunt, AS LONG as there isn't a single deer hair or duck feather in the sink when I'm done.

Thumbs up

I have a lady cousin in Montana who is 61 years old. She hunts every year and this year her husband bought her a new .300 Winchester Magnum. She sighted it in and then has shot 5 shells through it killing a Bull elk, a black bear and 3 deer. She sends me email pictures and stories of their hunts including packing out her kills with her horses and hanging a whole field dressed elk up in her airplane hanger on their ranch. What a woman!!!!!!!!!!

Bethel, Cantwell, Fort Yukon, Skagway, Chevak and Point Hope

Here is a picture of a Widow Grandmother and her 11 YO Grandson from Oklahoma that I gave a Tikka T3 Lite in 7mm-08 and a scope. Rosemary is raising her Grandson Wyatt and wanted to teach him how to hunt. They have both taken a deer with that rifle so far.

Default Wife

My wife hunts. She had never fired a gun untill she met me. Funny thing is that she always watched hunting shows. I never really thought she would be a hunter. She is a pink wearing girly girl. She hunts turkey, deer, and went on her first black bear hunt this year. I am taking her caribou hunting next year. She shoots a 7mm-08 Browing A-bolt Micro Hunter (left handed). She swears that it is the best gun ever. She killed a REAL nice 10 point Whitetail last year. I was more excited than if I would have shot it. This year she didn't want me to hunt with her. She wanted to pick her stand and sit by her self. She killed a nice 9 point her second time out. She hit it perfect. It dropped in its tracks but she shot it again. Not sure why. I think she just likes shooting stuff. Spring turkey hunting is her favorite. The only thing she complaines about is that there isn't enough camo made for women. She said most of what is made is just smaller mens stuff and doesn;t fit right.
    I'm getting her a Weatherby over and under 20 ga. for Christmas. Only thing is all my hunting trips cost me double now.

Default Women Hunters...

THis is the goat I got 9/04. Unit DG 342, lost lake above Kenai Lake. I used a 7mm.08, 140 grain nosler at 300 yrds. 9" x 5 3/4. He took a tumble and lost one horn, but I kept the one and he had a nice hide too...It was an awesome hunt, although I wish i was in better shape! But all turned out great! And he tasted great too! I would LOVE to have the opportunity to hunt more, but time and circumstance usually dont allow it. I did put in for sheep & goat for next year. I hope i get lucky!
    Last edited by Brian M; 11-29-2006 at 19:18.
    <*)))><

Fishgirl - Hope you don't mind, but I edited your photobucket link so that the pic shows up in the body of the message. (Used the "img" tags instead of the "url" tags.) Nice goat...thanks for sharing!

-Brian

Alright! We got some women hunters chiming in here. Nice job ladies!

Talking Finding one

It would be wonderful to find a woman to hunt with. I hunt so much that unless I can find one, it will be me and the old Labrador until one of us dies. I consider the house a place to prepare for the next hunt. I think that when one has more camo clothing than street clothes there is a message there somewhere.

Maybe someday, someone will start a dating forum specifically for women that want to meet men that hunt and enjoy the out-of-doors.
    "Never again shall one generation of Veterans abandon another".
    Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Great pictures, thanks. I plan on getting my first bear some time next year.

Thumbs up

[QUOTE=
    Maybe someday, someone will start a dating forum specifically for women that want to meet men that hunt and enjoy the out-of-doors.[/QUOTE]

You know Dave, that is not a bad idea! I think your onto something. AAAHHHUUUMMM! MOD'S, WEBMASTER.... whatchya think?

That type of forum is not such a bad idea but have you considered teaching a hunting safety course for women who are interested in it? That way you could meet a whole bunch at once. The Elks Lodge I belong to is heavily involved with the local shooting range and a couple of the guys created a class like that with some pretty good results.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast