Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mud Lite XL's or Something Else...? Rhino 450

Default Mud Lite XL's or Something Else...? Rhino 450

So, for all of you doing this ATV thing longer than me. I just purchased a Rhino 450 and need new tires on it. Most salesmen are pushing the Mud Lite XL's....Question is what is really getting through the mud. I have a family and will be doing some trail riding as well as mud playing. Any suggestions??? And what is a 5-2 and a 2-5 offset when talking about rims?

AK1032

Default Consider the 589s

Same brand, but way luggier. But Yes, the Mud Lites are really nice; you'd like them; maybe the worst thing is wear time, but you have to decide if length of service is your most important thing.

I tend to forget about price when its alternative can mean leaving my butt in a bad place or a bad way. But I'm a gear-hound, so don't listen to me.

There are many posts regarding tires, wheels, spacers, offsets, and everything else to do with a Rhino at http://www.rhinoforums.net/ .

My old man has been running MudLites and has had two sidewall punctures this year. He researched and found that other users are saying that the Mudlites appear to have a weak sidewall and that punctures are a common problem with them. He's been looking at putting on the Maxxis Zillas instead, you might try looking at those. I run the 589's and like them but they are heavier than the Zillas. I do feel the loss of "pep" in my Grizz 700 vs the old stock tires, that's for sure.
    "If snowmachiners would adopt the habits of riding one at a time and not parking at the base of avalanche prone slopes, the number of fatalities would likely be whittled by at least a third, if not by half." ~ Jill Fredston, in the book Snowstruck, In The Grip Of Avalanches.

Dee,
    Alot of the loss of "pep" isnt always the weight of the 589's. I just put a set on my Polaris 6x6 this week. What I noticed most is the lack of wheel spin when I hit the throttle. This additional hookup will load down your engine. Case in point, Take your car out on a road covered with ice and it is raining. Hit the throttle and you have instant throttle response and a peppy engine. Now take the same rig out on a fresh clean summertime asphalt road. Hit the throttle and it becomes a dog. Sure, the weight is a same issue, but the bigger issue is the new traction. I found this to be true as well when I put 28" Gators on my Polaris 700 a few years ago. A clutch kit will give you back most all of the pep you are now missing.

Quote Originally Posted by theultrarider View Post
    Dee,
    Alot of the loss of "pep" isnt always the weight of the 589's. I just put a set on my Polaris 6x6 this week. What I noticed most is the lack of wheel spin when I hit the throttle. This additional hookup will load down your engine. Case in point, Take your car out on a road covered with ice and it is raining. Hit the throttle and you have instant throttle response and a peppy engine. Now take the same rig out on a fresh clean summertime asphalt road. Hit the throttle and it becomes a dog. Sure, the weight is a same issue, but the bigger issue is the new traction. I found this to be true as well when I put 28" Gators on my Polaris 700 a few years ago. A clutch kit will give you back most all of the pep you are now missing.
    That's a good point. I kept the same size (25x8, 25x10) tires as the stock tires were, just upgraded to the 589 style for better tread. Do you think I need a clutch kit when I didn't change tire size? I had been given the impression that it only mattered if I changed tire size to something bigger.
    "If snowmachiners would adopt the habits of riding one at a time and not parking at the base of avalanche prone slopes, the number of fatalities would likely be whittled by at least a third, if not by half." ~ Jill Fredston, in the book Snowstruck, In The Grip Of Avalanches.

Default Kenda Executioner?

Anyone have any experience with the EXECUTIONER'S ? they appear to be a more aggressive tire than the XL's.... and what about the XTR'S?

Looking for a durable, not terribly heavy aggressive mud tire that runs comfortably on the trails..... but aren't we all.

On the 6x6 I just put the 589's on, I too stayed with the stock height, but did with 10's up front rather than the 8's. Made a big difference for the tundra and nasty stuff. Didn't steer too much harder, but when you catch a rock or something on just the outside edge of a tire, it will certainly grab and toss your bars alot more than it used to. That is something that I am willing to live with because of the good things in the other situations. To each their own there. Same goes with the clutch kits. I will most likely play with mine some to get my snap back. It's not bad, but I did lose some. If you are a motorhead, it is annoying. If you are content to just ride the trails and enjoy being there, you will be fine without it. By reading many of your posts, my guess is that you would benifit from a clutch kit. Which one? I have no idea. Most of my expieriance is with Polaris wheelers and am well versed in them. As for the others, I would have to do some research. The biggest thing is getting a little stiffer spring rate in the secondary clutch. That makes it downshift alittle quicker and holds it back from upshiftiing so quick when accelerating allow for a few more rpms when you smack the throttle without changing your max rpm.

I forget which wheeler it is you run.
    That's right, you run a 700 Grizzly. There should be several kits for that rig. Should be pretty cheap and an easy thing to do as well.

Dee, check out this link. Might even give these guys a call and tell them your exact setup. They have many many years tuning sled clutches whick is what drives your atv. I am very sure they can and will make you wheeler snappier with the 589's than it was in stock form. Clutching can and will make a big difference. https://www.erlandsonperformance.com...ry_Code=yamclu
    Last edited by theultrarider; 09-07-2009 at 22:31. Reason: More info

The Mudzilla's are a very good tire and will wear well. I'm not a big fan of Mud lights, not due to my own experience, but those of others I've spoken to. I look for a tire with a good sidewall tread and deep lugs for Alaska's goo and muskeg. You won't go anywhere in Alaska (it seems) without running into a mudhole. Go to Highlifter.com and the tire section. Lots and lots of people there talking tires.

Lovin' the 589's as of late on my dads Vinson! Seem to grab better and allow you to 'tractor' through some pretty nasty stuff and not spin the tires. I was very impressed ow I actually reversed out of some nasty holes that I wasn't able to go through forwards. I have the 'lites on my AC 500, but I'd get the 589's if I had to do it again.

As far as good sidewall lug, Alaska_Lanche runs Gators on his and they've proved to be a good tire as well.

I'll add my $.02 regarding the Maxxis Zillas. I've got 26x9.12/26x11x12 on my Yamaha Big Bear 400 and 25x8x12/25x10x12 on my Arctic Cat 400.

I was able to get the Big Bear dirty this weekend up by Cantwell (Colorado Creek) area. This was my first ride on the new Zillas. We rode through some fairly good swamps with scattered holes and the Big Bear didn't flinch at all. The tires appeared to keep themselves clean (no build up). I even had the chance to pull out an older Honda 300 and had no problem with traction. I guess my only complaint, and it is a small one, is there is noticeable vibration at slow speeds on hard pack surfaces. I would imagine that is true for most agressive tread patterns. The biggest plus, which I attribute to the weight of the tires, is that I didn't notice any loss of power as a result of the increased size over stock.

I'll be out at Petersville Sept 18 - 20 so I should be able to get some more "testing" done in the mud.

Default Zillas or XTR's?

Are Zilla's the same as Mudzillas? and how do you think the zillas compare to XTR's in performance? and Durability?

Quote Originally Posted by Martin14 View Post
    I'll add my $.02 regarding the Maxxis Zillas. I've got 26x9.12/26x11x12 on my Yamaha Big Bear 400 and 25x8x12/25x10x12 on my Arctic Cat 400.

I was able to get the Big Bear dirty this weekend up by Cantwell (Colorado Creek) area. This was my first ride on the new Zillas. We rode through some fairly good swamps with scattered holes and the Big Bear didn't flinch at all. The tires appeared to keep themselves clean (no build up). I even had the chance to pull out an older Honda 300 and had no problem with traction. I guess my only complaint, and it is a small one, is there is noticeable vibration at slow speeds on hard pack surfaces. I would imagine that is true for most agressive tread patterns. The biggest plus, which I attribute to the weight of the tires, is that I didn't notice any loss of power as a result of the increased size over stock.

I'll be out at Petersville Sept 18 - 20 so I should be able to get some more "testing" done in the mud.

Default Mudzillas?

Or Mudzillas.... anyone try them they look cool if noting else...

Quote Originally Posted by AK1032 View Post
    Are Zilla's the same as Mudzillas? and how do you think the zillas compare to XTR's in performance? and Durability?

Mudzilla's and Zilla's are the same tire it's just cooler to say Zilla's. I've only heard one or two people state they thought the sidewalls were soft. Not nearly as many complaints as the 'lights. All that I've talked to that run the Mudzillas have stated they loved the tire. Me, I run Dirt Devil II's and love them. Lots cheaper and give excellent traction. You don't hear of many people running them, but those that do like them alot. A very tough tire as well.

Actually, I believe the Maxxis Zillas and Mudzillas are two different tires. The Zillas appear to be a cheaper, slightly less aggressive version of the Mudzillas. The price of the Zillas is also a lot lower.

I can't give a fair comparison between the Zillas and the XTRs, as I just got back into ATV'ing after a 15 year hiatus. I've only had one real ride on the Zillas but so far I'm very happy with my purchase. For the price of the tires they seem like a real steal. The last aftermarket tires I purchased were a set of Spidertracs that I put on my 1994 Polaris 400L back when it was brand new.

Default XTR's

I run the XTR's 27x11-14 on my Ranger. I like the traction that they provide and they have a great clean-out ability, but I think that the side walls are not very strong. I'm not sure if this is due to the weight of the Ranger or a flaw in the tire. I have 8 plugs in one side wall and in another tire I noticed some nice deep cuts in the side wall the other day. Since I 1st got the hole in the side wall (last year) I ensured that my tires are always filled at the max 12 PSI, this limits flex and keeps the rocks from pinching against the rims. I have not decided what my next tire will be, but I am limited since I run 14" rims. I was thinking about the Mud Lite XXL in 30". I'm told that these are true 6 ply, even in the side walls.

Default Tires

Fishkill,

Martin14 is correct. The Zilla is Maxxis' new light weight mud tire - competitor to the ITP Mudlite. It is designed off of the MudZilla tire but much lighter weight (even lighter than the Mudlites). Reading a lot of forums on mud tires I have found a lot of comments about sidewall punctures on the mudlites and I have not been able to find a single post about a puncture on a Zilla tire. It probably has something to do with the fact that ITP Mudlites seem to own the market and there are a lot more of them out there than the Zilla's. But, personally I've put 3 puncture holes in the sidewalls of two of my Mudlites has made me decide that I will never purchase another Mudlite. I would like to go with the Zilla tire but knowing my riding style I am seriously thinking about going with a heavier tire, such as the 589's were the rubber is so much stronger.

AK1032 -

You asked an original question about wheel offsets. On a 7" tire, a 2-5 offset means the hub assembly will be 2 inches and the tire will stick out 5" past the Hub Assembly, meaning your tires will stick out a bit farther but you'll have better turning clearance in that your tires likely won't hit the suspension components when you are turning. A 5-2 offset means just the opposite. Your Hub Assembly is 5" inside the rim. For a visual - http://www.itptires.com/wheeloffsets.html.

The ITP web site has a good spreadsheet that will show you what bolt pattern, wheel size, and Offset your ATV will need. http://www.itptires.com/wheel_chart_2009.htm

I have over 4,000 miles on Mudlight XTR Radials on my two Grizzlys. I've never had a flat or leaker. I run them at 5 lbs/psi. Both sets are in excellent shape and wear is minimal.

Stay away from 14" wheels.

Good info on the 'Zillas, we always just refered to the MudZilla's as just Zilla's. I'll have to look at them. I can tell you everyone I've talked to about the Mudzilla's really liked them. I've seen them in action and was impressed. If my Dirt Devil II's ever wear out I might replace them with the Mudzilla's. Appreciate the correction as I'm sure I've confused some people.

Default Clutch Kit

Quote Originally Posted by EagleRiverDee View Post
    That's a good point. I kept the same size (25x8, 25x10) tires as the stock tires were, just upgraded to the 589 style for better tread. Do you think I need a clutch kit when I didn't change tire size? I had been given the impression that it only mattered if I changed tire size to something bigger.
    If you are still running the same size tires, I would not consider a clutch kit. Your ATV does not care about what type of tread you are running. It will care about the difference between 25" tires, and 26" or larger tires. I went from 25" stock tires to 27" 589's. I did notice a difference. To mitigate effects of larger tires, I run in the lowest gear possible, and take it very easy going through the really muddy/boggy areas where the 589's really grip well.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast