Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 25

Thread: Legal Moose, or not?

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    6,031

    Default Legal Moose, or not?

    OK, here he is right next to the road (in my GMU) probably 20-30 yards range:

    Compared to the size of the sign behind him, he clearly looks sublegal I think, which is why I grabbed my camera instead of rifle.


    OK, above find him about 30 yards distant; those antlers are looking larger...


    OK, above find some bad photography of the same bull after he'd run 80 yards off; he "hid" behind a tree with his large rack on both side of the tree clearly visible. Could he have hid behind a sheet of 4x8 plywood on-end? I'm starting to think not... but he's let go while I continue on to my hunt spot...

  2. #2

    Thumbs up

    FM,
    The bull was over 50"'s, no doubt about it.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

  3. #3
    Member sharksinthesalsa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    wasilla ak
    Posts
    640

    Default shooot!!

    he's over fifty for sure
    "early to bed, early to rise, fish like hell, and make up lies"

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Copper Center Ak
    Posts
    41

    Default Was legal!!

    I would have put him in the dirt in a heart beat. I'm guessing mid 50's range maybe on the upper end of that. Can't see brows, but looks lik ein the pic by the sign hes got a wide brow palm. Did he not have 4 brows?
    Mike

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Interior Alaska
    Posts
    50

    Default a shooter

    for sure. He's well over 50. I passed one up yesterday, he was close but not near that one. Looks like he could have several brow tines on that left side.

  6. #6
    Supporting Member Amigo Will's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Wrangell
    Posts
    7,600

    Default

    I would guess yes and plenty of brow tines also

  7. #7

    Default

    Banggggggg, but then again maybe I should see him in person, where did you say he was lol

  8. #8
    Member jkb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Big Lake
    Posts
    1,466

    Default

    Big ol brow palm on one side had to have 4 on there. I can see two maybe three and can only see 25 percent of the brow palm. He sure looks 50 as well.
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming-----WOW-----what a ride!
    Unknown author

  9. #9

    Default 50 +

    that bull is over 50 and it looks like there would be 3 probably 4 brow tines.

  10. #10
    Member theultrarider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Soldotna
    Posts
    1,096

    Default

    Better get back out there and find him again. I thinks its going to take a while to forget about letting that one go.

  11. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    141

    Default Parking area even!

    A hunter should always be sure as to avoid any question as to wether it was or was not legal, but If this animal would have turned and showed you those brow tines, you would be kikkin yourself for grabbing the camera. Just keep thinkin not legal and it will make it feel better

  12. #12
    New member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Marshall
    Posts
    1,975

    Default Legal!

    Set Photon Torpedos to Stun!

  13. #13
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    6,031

    Default Where's he at?

    Quote Originally Posted by akspecialus View Post
    Banggggggg, but then again maybe I should see him in person, where did you say he was lol
    I stand by the three observations I posted about his size in the original post. Yes at first I thought him sublegal, but at the end I thought him quite likely legal but it didn't matter - too dark to do anything about that right then and I'm not turning my canoe hunt into a road hunt the following day...

    I would have expected someone here to say that he might be sublegal, but I guess not; its likely that those thinkers didn't become posters maybe?

    Regarding where this bull is, I've only told one person and I'd love to hear that he got'm!

  14. #14
    Member SperBear's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    AK
    Posts
    114

    Default Why

    For those that said the bull is legal, why do you think he is? What are your judging tips and suggestions? I don't have much moose judging experience thats why I ask. (bout to watch the fish and game moose judging video).

  15. #15
    Member cjustinm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Kotz
    Posts
    1,004

    Default

    pretty tough call on 50 as he's angled and his ears are folded back on the pictures however the brow tines look to be okay. not a huge bull don't think its a huge loss you'll never recover from.

  16. #16

    Wink

    Quote Originally Posted by SperBear View Post
    For those that said the bull is legal, why do you think he is?
    His antler spread.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

  17. #17

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FamilyMan View Post
    I stand by the three observations I posted about his size in the original post. Yes at first I thought him sublegal, but at the end I thought him quite likely legal but it didn't matter - too dark to do anything about that right then and I'm not turning my canoe hunt into a road hunt the following day...

    I would have expected someone here to say that he might be sublegal, but I guess not; its likely that those thinkers didn't become posters maybe?

    Regarding where this bull is, I've only told one person and I'd love to hear that he got'm!
    I don't know if he is legal for sure or not - HOWEVER - I do KNOW it was a dam*ed good decision not to shot if there was any doubt. Looks like it was getting dark and probably no way to make certain if there was enough of "cushion" to be absolutely certain.
    Another very refreshing post - about another week of them and I'll be back to my "usual cheery self"!
    Hope you have time to find him again.
    Good Luck
    Joe (Ak)

  18. #18
    Member SperBear's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    AK
    Posts
    114

    Default ...

    Quote Originally Posted by Akres View Post
    His antler spread.

    Thank You Captain Obvious, I guess my question deserved that response.
    But on a serious note, what tricks/judgements did you use to judge the spread? 10" between the ears? I've recently been told shape of the antler is an indicator too-meaning-if the antlers "droop" down when they come out of the head its typically a big moose? Anything else?

  19. #19
    Member cjustinm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Kotz
    Posts
    1,004

    Default

    about 7.5-8 in between the bases, 10 between the eyes, about 28-30 from ear tip to ear tip if they are straight out. anyone know roughly how wide the body is if they are facing directly away from you or toward you?

  20. #20
    Moderator hunt_ak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Wasilla--Cantwell Transplant
    Posts
    4,600

    Default

    Wow, lots of very confident 'legal bull' comments.

    The only thing I can tell from the pics is NARROW PALMS!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •