Thread: Flies For Char

Default Flies For Char

What kinds of flies would do good for char?

My #1 all time... purple esl with pink head #2. Yeah, I know, boring... But it works sooo good. Best ones I have bought were from www.alaskaflyfishinggoods.com Best by far!! Awesome shop and super nice guys too. Check out their website. In fall, I also like battle creek special, polar shrimp, chosen river special, and mickey finn. Yeah, anything pink/orangish for the most part, streamers, and fished deep as possible. With this said, most my fishing for dollies has been in arctic NW which has a strong run of chums in mid Aug. This could be partially why the orange seems to work so well in the fall. Something to consider at any rate. Get my biggest ones ON the bottom. Like, bellies on the bottom. I prefer a type III-IV 14 foot sink tip for the waters I have fished. At any rate, I suggest getting the fly you choose down deep if targetting big dollies.
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Where are you fishing?
    ><((((>.`..`.. ><((((>`..`.><((((>

"People who drink light 'beer' don't like the taste of beer; they
    just like to pee a lot." --Capitol Brewery

Default Poll..

Last year I asked folks here what they liked using for fall time dollies. Below are the results....

esl 1 4.55%
    battle creek special 2 9.09%
    polar shrimp 0 0%
    egg immitation (glo bug or beads) 16 72.73%
    mickey finn 0 0%
    fall favorite 0 0%
    copper and orange 0 0%
    dolly dynamite 2 9.09%
    other (pm me) 1 4.55%

Voters: 22
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

not to start up the charr versus Dolly debate but it will depend on what you are actually chasing and where you are chasing them. IN the fall most arctic char and dollies that are in rivers are best taken on an egg imitation (insert favorite here). If they are in lakes it's hard to beat any kind of baitfish pattern...or even a white flesh fly works great on the strip or sunk with a sink tip. I was out this weekend on a super warm....I mean flip flops... moose hunt so hit up some arctic charr spots and they were still chasing the few remaining smolt around and every once in a while I saw fry busting the surface and beneath them was a bunch of arctic charr chasing them around so a smaller clouser/baitfish/smolt/whatever worked great. The sonar said they were holding kinda deep for a fly (20-50 feet) but the weather was so nice that even trolling around brought them up to the top and then I fished the groups that came chasing up to my smolt pattern.

Oddly enough, matching the hatch isn't always a big deal with charr....I often use a chartreuse number two coneheaded leach....why they love the chartreuse still makes no sense but the results are hard to argue with. This will vary on where you are at and what time of year you are fishing. In southwest Ak, the only thing I haven't done well on them with is black....not sure exactly why but there it is.

ps, if you are in a river, don't forget maggots, simple to tie and at times quite effective....they are made up entirely of salmon so they are nutritious and easily obtained by fish if there are carcasses around...can be as effective as eggs imitations but still have yet for it to be better.

Big orange things worked good at ugashik
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.