Thread: ethics

Default ethics

so i was reading the ethics vs. mr holdaspot and got to thinking when sheep hunting and you find a ram you set up on it and wait till opening day your tent is in plain site and were there the whole time no one else there. all the sudden the night before you see someone come in and set up a tent below you. wake up first thing in morning only to see them on the ridge going after the ram i was campd on for 2 days next thing i here is 8 shots and then see the ram runing way the heck up in the cliffs. ethics no dont think so in 2004 i got into my sheep area late cause of a mishap and when i got in there was 2 guides in there talked to them on where there were going and stayed out of there way and still ended up with a ram. RESPECT OR NOT what do yall think

You snooze , you lose. How would the other hunters know you have been watching that ram for 2 days prior ?

Why "stay out of the way" of any guide you come across after hiking into an area ? You put the effort into getting there and they happen to be there when you arrive, you can choose to go elsewhere if you like but you have every right to hunt there, just like the fellows in your example.

If I had seen those hunters come in the night before opener, I would have been up and after that sheep well before they awoke opening morning.

I don't see this as applying to ethics so much as it is a question of competition. Actually the problem I have from an ethical standpoint is the lack of hunting and marksmanship skills exhibited by the other party.

Respectful, yes you were that when you talked to the 2 guides you
    encountered but you are not obligated to leave the area.

I personally disagree. If someone is set up in an area when I arrive, I'll move on down the trail, regardless of my prior plans. I would hope for the same from others, but of course, what 338WM says about getting up early is good advice as well. I wouldn't be happy about the competition, but I'd be hiking before first light.

If I come up on some people like that I just stop and talk to them. Tell them you were planning on hunting an area and ask where they are going. If they lie to you and tell you they are going to one spot and they are actually going to a different spot and you happen to be there then it's there fault for lieing in the first place. Competition is good but there is no reason people can't be civil while out in the woods.
    "...arms like laws discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe...Horrid mischief would ensue were the good deprived of the use of them." -Thomas Paine

sorry i change the ethics to respect and i know im not obligated to leave but i have respect they were in there first they put in the time to get on those rams im not gona go in and blow it karma got me a ram that year for respect and it didnt get that guy who missed 8 times one. 2 years ago a buddy of mine got on a ram and had guys above them start throughing rocks at the sheep and scared them out is that ok too.

Default School?

No wonder we are in trouble.

Sounds like bs to me.

How about when a buggy shows up at 10 pm the night before the opener and bird dogs all the moose out away from other camps/areas so there buddy can whack 'em? after my 1st week out I've realized one thing, ethics are out the window anytime there is competition.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

Talking tip toe-ing

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    I personally disagree. If someone is set up in an area when I arrive, I'll move on down the trail, regardless of my prior plans. I would hope for the same from others, but of course, what 338WM says about getting up early is good advice as well. I wouldn't be happy about the competition, but I'd be hiking before first light.
    Absolutely. Ever tip-toed past your "new buddy's tent" (a.k.a. the guy you met late last night after he arrived at "your" spot) and heard him still snoozin' while you're making way the right direction two hours before first light? I have - its a fun sound.

Default Ethical, respectful???

Ethics or not it's far safer when you know others are hunting the same area to approach them and discuss where you plan to hunt and where they will be.
    I'm glad over here it's like that, two groups can be in the same area and work together to make sure everyone has a safe trip and a fair hunting experience.
    Often as not if two groups are in the same area we will get together and decide how to split up the hunting in the area, often it's a case of taking turns to hunt different parts of the block.
    Much better than poking your head up out of a gut while stalking an animal and having a bullet put in it.

Quote Originally Posted by AKHunter7 View Post
    sorry i change the ethics to respect and i know im not obligated to leave but i have respect they were in there first they put in the time to get on those rams im not gona go in and blow it karma got me a ram that year for respect and it didnt get that guy who missed 8 times one. 2 years ago a buddy of mine got on a ram and had guys above them start throughing rocks at the sheep and scared them out is that ok too.
    No, that not OK, it's illegal. Hunter harrassment.
    "...arms like laws discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe...Horrid mischief would ensue were the good deprived of the use of them." -Thomas Paine

Default This attitude is the problem with society today

Quote Originally Posted by 338WM View Post
    You snooze , you lose. How would the other hunters know you have been watching that ram for 2 days prior ?

Why "stay out of the way" of any guide you come across after hiking into an area ? You put the effort into getting there and they happen to be there when you arrive, you can choose to go elsewhere if you like but you have every right to hunt there, just like the fellows in your example.

If I had seen those hunters come in the night before opener, I would have been up and after that sheep well before they awoke opening morning.

I don't see this as applying to ethics so much as it is a question of competition. Actually the problem I have from an ethical standpoint is the lack of hunting and marksmanship skills exhibited by the other party.

Respectful, yes you were that when you talked to the 2 guides you
    encountered but you are not obligated to leave the area.
    I disagree if someone is already there you should move on, It's called ethics and respect, NOT competition !!!!!!!! I see this lame attitude all summer with new guys in the Halibut charter fleet. They mark your spot one day, then beat you to it the next. They also think that it's just competition......

Thanks for yalls input even if we dont agree on things or we do its good to here opinions of others. maybe next time instead of wakeing up before light ill just bring my night vision and get there at midnight (kidding ) Well off again tomorrow guiding a sheep hunt.

Default As16.05.790

It is against state law to intentionally obstruct or hinder another person's lawful hunting,fishing, trapping or viewing of fish and game.
    Illegal activities include positioning one's self in a location where human presence may alter the behavior of fish or game another person is pursuing. It is also illegal to create a sight, sound,smell,or physical stimulus to alter the behavior of fish and game another person is attempting to take.

$500 fine and/or 30 days in jail

Quote Originally Posted by Captain T View Post
    I disagree if someone is already there you should move on, It's called ethics and respect, NOT competition !!!!!!!! I see this lame attitude all summer with new guys in the Halibut charter fleet. They mark your spot one day, then beat you to it the next. They also think that it's just competition......
    Not anything, but to lazy to go scout on there own. Weather it's useing something that belongs to someone else, camping on top of someones camp or people tieing up public ground so they can be the only one to trap it, ethics are a long ways out
    Visions Steel/841-WELD(9353)
    "Rebellion is in my blood, I was born an American"
    Μολών λαβέ

That is exactly how to define competition. You do own that "spot" you fished at the previous or any other day. Anyone has equal right to utilize that "spot" in a legal fashion for legal purposes. They beat you to it the next day, sounds rather like a race, does it not ?

As16.05.790
    It is against state law to intentionally obstruct or hinder another person's lawful hunting,fishing, trapping or viewing of fish and game.
    Illegal activities include positioning one's self in a location where human presence may alter the behavior of fish or game another person is pursuing. It is also illegal to create a sight, sound,smell,or physical stimulus to alter the behavior of fish and game another person is attempting to take.

$500 fine and/or 30 days in jail
    Hiking into another drainage to hunt sheep, or moose, or any other critter and finding another party there ahead of you, then deciding to stay and hunt that drainage rather than move on, is in no way a reflection of the above statute you posted. Use common sense. That applies to your fishing example as well.

Default Perfect example of no pride or integrity

I've always taken pride in finding my own fishing and hunting spots. I guess the new generation has lost all integrity......They don't want to work hard at anything,including finding their own places to fish and hunt.... I see this same bad attitude in the work force from the younger guys..... There will always be people that can't figure it out on their own ,so they have to follow someone around that knows what their doing.

For those that don't understand the meaning of Ethics =A system of moral standards or values. Just because something is legal doesn't make it ethical.

Quote Originally Posted by 338WM View Post
    That is exactly how to define competition. You do own that "spot" you fished at the previous or any other day. Anyone has equal right to utilize that "spot" in a legal fashion for legal purposes. They beat you to it the next day, sounds rather like a race, does it not ?

Hiking into another drainage to hunt sheep, or moose, or any other critter and finding another party there ahead of you, then deciding to stay and hunt that drainage rather than move on, is in no way a reflection of the above statute you posted. Use common sense. That applies to your fishing example as well.
    I think Captain T was talking about my post about hunter harrassment laws, and I was referring to someones post about someone throwing rocks to scare animals.

I hate hunting next to people i don't know, and don't feel like getting shot by other hunters in the area, so I would move on myself. But i have to say, if I was passing your tent while you were slumbering in it and saw a nice ram nearby, I'm taking it. I wouldn't look at it as disrespect, sheep hunting is hard enough without people claiming mountains that you have to skirt around.

And you also have to think about it this way, maybe the guys who tried for the sheep you set up on have been coming to the same spot for 20 odd years or so, and now look at you like you are encroaching on their hunting sweet spot. I don't know the situation, maybe you have been hunting there a long time, or maybe not. Just a different way to look at it.

Either way, it would suck to have an animal taken from under your nose i guess. Hope you have better luck next time.
    The Second Amendment.......Know it, love it, support it.