Thread: Opening day peninsula brown bear hunt

Default Opening day peninsula brown bear hunt

Very early in the hunt and you have a shot at a 9' bear, do you take the shot or wait and hope you come across a bigger bear? I fly out of Tampa in 18 days, and struggling with this question. I'd love a 10', but can come home with out a 8 1/2' bear, but it's the in between that I'm just not sure about. We'll be hunting in the Port Moeller area.

If I see a 9 footer and the hide is in good shape, I'm dropping it.

bear size can be difficult to judge. because of this most guides are conservative in their size estimates. assuming you are on a guided hunt, if your guide calls it 9' I would tip it over.

are you hunting alaska peninsula or kenai peninsula? 9' bears in either location are worth shooting. i myself prefer to hunt bears later, when they have their winter coats on and the fur is thick and lush. i shot my kodiak brownie (8.5' sow) on november 8th last year, and she had a gorgeous coat.

If I was dropping a lot of coin on a hunt, then I'd opt for dropping the 9 footer. If I was truely trophy hunting and had access to the area year after year to keep trying for the big boy (and it is a 1 bear every 4 year area), I'd hold off for a shot at a 10 footer.

I shot a 7&1/2'+ sow in May of '08 and now I wait.........................

Quote Originally Posted by Bucksandnoles View Post
    Very early in the hunt and you have a shot at a 9' bear, do you take the shot or wait and hope you come across a bigger bear? I fly out of Tampa in 18 days, and struggling with this question. I'd love a 10', but can come home with out a 8 1/2' bear, but it's the in between that I'm just not sure about. We'll be hunting in the Port Moeller area.
    Just something to keep in mind, there are life long Alaskans who have never shot anything more than 7-8 foot......So really, its your call!
    "In the interest of protecting my privacy I will no longer be accepting Private Messages generated from this site and if you email me, it better be good!"

Default First Day

I have often heard it said " never pass on the first day what you wouldn't pass on the last"

I passed on good bears waiting for the monster a couple of times on POW and went home empty handed both times.

Default Tough decision

My hopes are for a 9' brownie when I am hunting Unit 17 starting next week. The tough decision for me will come when a 8 1/2 footer and I cross paths. I don't know if I will be able to pass up the 8 1/2 footer if the shot is right.

The best way not to shoot a 9 or 10 footer is to shoot a smaller bear first.

Default my philosophy...

If I spent more than about $50 total on the hunt, the first legal animal I see is going down, with one condition: I won't get made fun of for the size or quality of it. Then if I REALLY want a bigger one, I can possibly go back later and get a bigger one. No one will make fun of you for a 9' bear...

Hopefully you've worked this out with your guide. Certainly the decision as to when and if an animal is harvested, will be based, in part, on whether a second trip is possible. If a ten footer is your goal you may well have to come back once or twice, and that is certainly no reflection on your guide.
    Your guide should be able to give you a realistic assessment of the probability of taking a 28+ bear on your hunt.
    Wishing you the best of luck.
    Joe (Ak)

Thanks again guys for all of the input! Since booking this hunt I'm spending way too much time on this board. My guide has told me that he has done very well on 8.5 - 9.5 bears. "There are certainly some 10' bears in the area, but they're not around every bush."

I think I've decided that if my guide believes we have a 9' bear in the crosshairs, I'm pulling the trigger. If that doesn't happen, I'm prepared to just enjoy the hunt, and save for another time down the road.

Thanks again!

Smile a trophy...

A 9' Brown Bear, taken by fair chase hunting, a beautiful rug hanging on your wall, what a sight and memory that will be. Everyone that hunts will look at it and want one. Don't forget to tip your guide and packer and thank them for one of life's greatest memories.

Thanks again guys for all of the input! Since booking this hunt I'm spending way too much time on this board. My guide has told me that he has done very well on 8.5 - 9.5 bears. "There are certainly some 10' bears in the area, but they're not around every bush."

I think I've decided that if my guide believes we have a 9' bear in the crosshairs, I'm pulling the trigger. If that doesn't happen, I'm prepared to just enjoy the hunt, and save for another time down the road.

Thanks again!
    Truthfully, I don't think anyone in florida is going to look at a 8.5' brownie rug and say "what did you shoot that dink for?"

I spent some time in Texas and most guys don't know the difference between black and brown. The popular question when looking at one of my black bear mounts is "Is that a grizzly?"

You'll most likely be their hero just having a grizzly bear on your wall, no matter the size.