Thread: basement and permarfost grounds idea

Default basement and permarfost grounds idea

ok iam sitting here in the local bookstore and trying to find a books on building on permarfost ground typles ..so far i found nothing..

i found books on cabin building along wild game recipes for cooking but no building on fozen ground ..found a few books on alaska life here..so far i bought a few alaska wild game books about hunting in the state along with a few cabin building books with small floor plan book ..and a wild game cookbook on alaska wild game animals that was made in the few years ago

so if i want to put in a small basement to hold the items like black water and fresh water tank set up ..how would i do it and what typle of building items would i have to do to make it work ..

how do i build in permarfost ground and how do i insulation the ground unit along with the side units that the cabin will sit on..so it will not be a swampy mess down the line that i have to deal with ..

ok guys and girls tear the idea apart and tell me how can it be done and done right here...

Quote Originally Posted by henry2 View Post
    ok iam sitting here in the local bookstore and trying to find a books on building on permarfost ground typles ..so far i found nothing..

i found books on cabin building along wild game recipes for cooking but no building on fozen ground ..found a few books on alaska life here..so far i bought a few alaska wild game books about hunting in the state along with a few cabin building books with small floor plan book ..and a wild game cookbook on alaska wild game animals that was made in the few years ago

so if i want to put in a small basement to hold the items like black water and fresh water tank set up ..how would i do it and what typle of building items would i have to do to make it work ..

how do i build in permarfost ground and how do i insulation the ground unit along with the side units that the cabin will sit on..so it will not be a swampy mess down the line that i have to deal with ..

ok guys and girls tear the idea apart and tell me how can it be done and done right here...
    That’s asking for trouble, the stuff will melt under ya and then you have a foundation of mud. Got to find some way to keep it frozen and I don’t think any amount of insulation will do it without something more.

Look here for the best reasurch on building in Alaska.
    UAF extinction office
    How to publications
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

thank you for the info on the home building ideas ..

As he said. Keep the frozen ground frozen. That means don't disturb the ground. Cut the trees off, but leave the stumps, moss, everything. Then elevate your house/cabin using any number of methods. The point is that a basement is a recipe for disaster. Once permafrost is disturbed, it will continue to thaw almost perpetually and your house may literary break apart.

The Cold Climate Housing Research Center has put out a fair number of publications. It would be worth hitting them up.

Generally speaking though, the best plan is to stay the heck off the permafrost. Although it can be built on, it is never as good as thawed ground. Not sure where you were thinking of moving, but unless you are north of the Yukon, it can often be avoided.

Around here (Fairbanks) there it is intermittent permafrost. The frozen ground sells at a considerable discount to the thawed ground. However, everyone I know that has built houses on it ended up sinking significantly more money into the project than anticipated, and then they have to deal with a moving foundation all the time. Not to mention the hassles of plumbing, waste water, getting your power poles to stay upright, etc, etc. For a low rent cabin, the numbers might pencil out, but if you have the option stay away from it. The up front cost of good ground is money VERY well spent.

Yk

P.S. Lest you think I'm just trying to scare you, I have actually made my living doing permafrost engineering in the NorthWest Territories and Nunavut. I also just built a house. I bought good ground. Good luck and do lots of research.

Talk to the people that FIX the foundations that fail in you area.

Where I am (discontinuous permafrost), they use platforms of .4 treated lumber for the bases. Only a few people have the desired ground to do what they want. Breaking the tundra is a BIG NO NO!!!

Unfortunately, mine has only been up for 5 months and I am not ready to call it "the way to go".