Thread: Smoking woods in Kodiak??

Default Smoking woods in Kodiak??

Is there an abundance of smoking woods in Kodiak or will I need to use chips? I am thinking of buying a new smoker, but not sure if I need to get an electric or not.

Alder makes great smoking wood.
    ><((((>.`..`.. ><((((>`..`.><((((>

"People who drink light 'beer' don't like the taste of beer; they
    just like to pee a lot." --Capitol Brewery

You will never run out of alder in Kodiak. I liked to dry it for 6 months or so before using it.

Quote Originally Posted by Phish Finder View Post
    Alder makes great smoking wood.
    Peel the bark while the wood is green. The bark can impart a bitter aftertaste

Quote Originally Posted by Erik in AK View Post
    Peel the bark while the wood is green. The bark can impart a bitter aftertaste
    I saw that somewhere else after I looked up Alder. But I also saw that some people like the bark left on. But I normally remove the bark on my woods except for Australian Pine, so I will probably keep doing the same.

Default peeling alder

I'd like to meet anyone that thinks it's better to leave the bark on alder for smoking. I tasted some fish once that some one had done that and it was BAD! There is no way that anyone could like it.
    A simple way That I like to debark it while green is to put it on my lathe and I can get the bark off very fast that way.

Dr Sean Johnston my spinal surgeon, I thought the same thing "leave that nasty bark on? are you Nuts?"
    BHA Member
    Bowyer to the forces of light in the land of the midnight sun.
    The 3 fold way: Every step we take as we walk through life effects, our family, our comunity and ourselves. One should walk thoughtfuly.

RE: peeling alder

When I moved here and started smoking my first batches of fish my neighbor helped me out with tips and recipies. He told me alder was about the best smoking wood you could get...tasty, and free. He made a point to tell me to always remove the bark otherwise my fish will taste like burning paper smells.

I've just been doing as I was taught. I've never smoked a batch with the bark on.

By the way, if you know anyone with a wood chipper you can put up a couple years worth of chips all at once.

I use to have a neigbor from Dillingham that told me that they usually just used drift wood that they found on the beach. Never tried it personally, I usually go with alders too.

I no longer use green wood. Condensation for me is very hard to control in my cold smoker. Seasoned wood reduces condensation. I never peel the bark on the alder, although I may try it next time.
    pete

I've not been to Kodiak, but if you're flora is anything like ours down here in SE, we have tons of crabapple trees along the beaches. We've only used these for smoking salmon steaks on the BBQ, but its good!