Thread: Fall black bear hunt

Default Fall black bear hunt

Never been to AK in september, but will be there the third week of September for black bear. I'm planning to hunt the hillsides and was wondering what time of day would be best for hunting?

I'll be on the Kenai, either off the palmer creek road or one of the mountains along the Resurection creek trail. What percent of the mountains in these areas would you say have berries? Are most of the hills a good bet or are only a small percentage of the mountains in the area good for hunting.

Hunt all day long. This time of year bears are eating constantly in order to pack on the fat for hibernation. Keep glassing and you'll likely find a bear.

Default bears are out

hey look over all open hill sides. the last couple of time I have been out, I have seen plenty of bears. I even saw one bear out in the heat of the day, it had to be like 70'F. anyway look over all open areas well even if you dont think their are berry's their their are.
    good luck

Default Hill Side

I personally glassed 13 black bear on one ridge this past Saturday on the peninsula. These bears were feeding all day long very high. Decided to wait them out and see if any would come down low having covered 15 miles on foot the previous day. Never happened but what a sight it was. Back out chasing them again this weekend. Good luck to ya.

Saw a nice black bear near the "Nearhouse mine", part way back Palmer Creek on Sunday.

Quote Originally Posted by akhunter1977 View Post
    I personally glassed 13 black bear on one ridge this past Saturday on the peninsula. These bears were feeding all day long very high. Decided to wait them out and see if any would come down low having covered 15 miles on foot the previous day. Never happened but what a sight it was. Back out chasing them again this weekend. Good luck to ya.
    Reminds me of the most I ever saw in one bunch, above Whitter 40 years ago. I think I 'll start a new thread.

Geez guys your making me salivate here, I gotta get out soon. Anyone been seeing bears near Coopers landing area?

Jon
    Nurse by night, Alaska adventurer by day!

I hiked the Upper Russian Trail from Snug Harbor Rd. almost to Upper Russian Lake and saw plenty of sign (looked mostly like brownies) but saw no bears. I did hear moose calling, it was the first time I have heard it so I was sure if it was moose or hunters?