Thread: chena flood zone

Default chena flood zone

What exactly are the regulations on the chena flood zone for hunting and ATV's? I have read all that I can and as I understand it you can hunt with bow and arrow (Fairbanks management area) only and cannot drive your ATV out there because to do so you would have to go around a barrier at some time that is clearly posted no ATV's.

I live almost right next to this area and I see people out there with ATV's and sitting on the surrounding dike glassing with thier rifles clearly visible. State Troopers are constantly out there but they don't stop and say anything.

Quote Originally Posted by partisan1911 View Post
    What exactly are the regulations on the chena flood zone for hunting and ATV's? I have read all that I can and as I understand it you can hunt with bow and arrow (Fairbanks management area) only and cannot drive your ATV out there because to do so you would have to go around a barrier at some time that is clearly posted no ATV's.

I live almost right next to this area and I see people out there with ATV's and sitting on the surrounding dike glassing with thier rifles clearly visible. State Troopers are constantly out there but they don't stop and say anything.
    As I understand it, motorize vehicles aren't allowed in the flood channel, except for a designated area near the Richardson. But parking in this area can only be done with permission, since the gates are closed. What you want to do is to contact the Parks Service over by the gate leading to Chena Lakes. Also, motorized vehicles of any kind aren't allowed during the summer on the trails around the Chena Recreation area and Chena Lakes. There is some information at the bulletin board by the entrance, and also at the kiosk located right across the dam (by the outhouse at the end of the road).

I didn't think you can ride ATV's out there. What about hunting with rifles? Those that are doing it don't try to hide it.

You can hunt with rifles from what I read in the regs. The dike is the boundary line for the Fairbanbks Management area. ATV's are allowed in the winter but not the summer and fall I don't remember the exact date.

Default You Can Hunt There!

You can hunt, but no motorized vehicles 4/1 to 10/31, or whatever the sign says. I was just out there a couple days ago, and you have to try really hard to get an ATV out there.

Go to the gate, they have somebody there, but I am not sure of the hours.

Default Be careful!

Yes you can hunt out there with a rifle. Just be careful to know where you are and that yu are far enough away from ANY homes. There are plenty of other areas to hunt that are further away from dwellings.

Default outside of the dike

You can hunt outside of the Moose Creek Dike, the side away from North Pole. The flood project is private property, owned by the US Corp of Engines. They do not want ATV in the channel when the when the ground is not frozen, because of the grade or something. Just be careful, there are a lot of users in the area, who are not hunters.