Thread: Timing Valdez pinks

Default Timing Valdez pinks

Hi,
    We have fished Allison point in Valdez the last week in July several times in the past 4 years and have always had tremendous luck. We usually stay a full week and return about Aug. 1st. We did not get to go down this year but are planning a trip for 2010. We have to plan ahead almost a year due to work constraints.

I have followed this forum this year and it looks as if 2009 was a pretty disappointing year for pinks in Valdez. This has me worried.

Since we only have a small window of opportunity and must plan so far ahead I would appreciate some input from you guys who have fished the Allison point more than we have.

If you had to plan a year ahead, what week in July would you fish Allison point for Pinks?

Thanks for taking time to reply.

Quote Originally Posted by CharlieM View Post
    Hi,
    We have fished Allison point in Valdez the last week in July several times in the past 4 years and have always had tremendous luck. We usually stay a full week and return about Aug. 1st. We did not get to go down this year but are planning a trip for 2010. We have to plan ahead almost a year due to work constraints.

I have followed this forum this year and it looks as if 2009 was a pretty disappointing year for pinks in Valdez. This has me worried.

Since we only have a small window of opportunity and must plan so far ahead I would appreciate some input from you guys who have fished the Allison point more than we have.

If you had to plan a year ahead, what week in July would you fish Allison point for Pinks?

Thanks for taking time to reply.
    Run failures in Valdez, like this year, are highly unusual. I wouldn't worry to much about that.

Default why not?

Why not worry? I think that everyone should be worried about the pinks, the silvers, the chums, and the kings.....

Where are they? They are dead......

i usually go the second week but if you want to play it safe go the third or last weekend of july, they should be pretty solid by then

Default Reds

Shouldn't we be worried about those as well?

I'm just curiuos why you'd spend that kind of money and effort bringing home skunky nasty pinks LOL!

they are not bad when you get them early, and pinks is a sure thing for shore fishing the action is non stop

they are definatly fun...but traveling from down south for even dime bright pinks shew. guess we're spoiled living here

they arent red salmon they arent silver salmon but if all your trying to do is have a blast and maybe dink around with smoking some then pinks is always a good bet expecially if you got kids trying to fish too

Default Thanks

I just wanted to thank all of you who replied to my post. This forum is such a fountain of knowledge and I have learned so much from you guys.

I just wanted to comment about a couple of replies that questioned why target pinks. What you have to realize that we all fish for different reasons. For us, pinks are ideal. They are readily available from shore (we don't have the resources for guided trips), fight good on light tackle and since we don't keep any fish, the fact that they are not at the top of the culinary chart has no bearing on us. My wife is not a serious fisherman but she dearly loves to fish for pinks and can hold her own with most men. The look on her face when she is fighting a big pink is priceless.

Again, thank for the information. We have scheduled our trip for the last week of July and are hoping the choice is a good one.

I hope everyone has a great season.

Charlie

Default have fun

Hope you have a great trip

I just wanted to thank all of you who replied to my post. This forum is such a fountain of knowledge and I have learned so much from you guys.

I just wanted to comment about a couple of replies that questioned why target pinks. What you have to realize that we all fish for different reasons. For us, pinks are ideal. They are readily available from shore (we don't have the resources for guided trips), fight good on light tackle and since we don't keep any fish, the fact that they are not at the top of the culinary chart has no bearing on us. My wife is not a serious fisherman but she dearly loves to fish for pinks and can hold her own with most men. The look on her face when she is fighting a big pink is priceless.

Again, thank for the information. We have scheduled our trip for the last week of July and are hoping the choice is a good one.

Charlie

Default That's what it's all about

Charlie
    Great attitude. Good luck and like the person said before me...have fun!