Thread: first duck hunt

Default first duck hunt

Roca is 15 months old, and we got her out for her first duck hunt this weekend. I had a couple buddies go as gunners, and I handled her. It worked good. Could have worked better if my gunners could hit something other than sky!
    She picked up 5 for 5 this weekend. We did not lose a bird. I had to help her a couple of times by throwing some sticks, which she promptly brought back, but then we got the duck thing figured out.
    Our training had focused on going into the water to make retrieves. We had a great mark which fell across 15 yards of water onto floating grass. Even though she had a good mark, she would not come out on the grass. She just knew the mallard had to be in the water.
    We finally got around to the duck, and we both found it. This weekend was a great experience to start a young dog out on. I sure am looking forward to spending a little training time with her, and shooting lots of birds over this outstanding yellow lab.
    Remember, when hunting, you can not expect a dog to do what you have not worked on. As simple as some of these retrieves were, several were concepts she had not seen. We just worked through it and kept in mind that there was no pressure on either of us.

Default great

that sounds like a good weekend. i hope that next year i will have the same luck.

lol! hey good going on the duck hunt with the dog, but that little bit about the friends shooting sky had me laughing.

Default popper loads

years ago Daniel I had a SKB O/U. Nice gun. A buddy went hunting with me and he just drooled over it. I finally handed it to him, broke open, with the chambers loaded.
    Said here you go, give it a try. So he handles it loving like, and the first birds come in up the gun goes. And BOOM. All the birds fly away. He shrugs, hand the gun back, and says, "well, I may have missed, but it sure didn't kick".
    I laughed and pulled the empties out of the gun. Popper loads. He was shooting blanks.
    The guys last weekend did not shoot much better, and they had shells loaded with steel.
    Wish I was taking Roca out this weekend. Too much to do to get ready for moose though. I really do like shooting over my dogs, and this youngster looks like she just might make a great gun dog.

Quote Originally Posted by Ak River Rat View Post
    I laughed and pulled the empties out of the gun. Popper loads.
    Remind me If I ever hunt with you to keep an eye on my own stuff and dont take anything from you lol! Good luck on the Moose hunt, Ive been toying with the Moose hunting myself lately and now Vince has me all fired up to go on an official Moose hunt.
    Like you Ive put the bird hunts on hold until later.

Default got to have fun

I know we are not talking dogs, but last year a buddy took a little walk about in the grass. I kept an eye on him as he walked up to some ponds to jump ducks. Nothing happened so back to the boat he came.
    When he got back, he opened up his O/U and lo and behold it was empty! Now how in the world could that happen do you suppose? Hmm, guess I just had enough time to pull the shells out before he took the gun. I had the camera going so when the ducks jumped up I'd get him on video pulling the trigger on empty chambers.
    I've been known to give out about as good as I get. Remember, always keep things safe though!

Default Sounds like the dog

is working out great! I am going to try to get my knucklheads out in the next few weekends to do some retrieves. Should be able to keep them in the water ALOT! I'll try to post some pictures of the male and female. The female is turning out to be quite the swimmer now that she figured it all out! The male is a beast. I have not worked with them much, so most of what they have is instinct.