Thread: Whittier report Sun Sep 7th

Default Whittier report Sun Sep 7th

Beautiful day yesterday and the water was super smooth outside passage canal, ran over a log at the head of passage on the way back but luckily no damage, scared the cr@p out of us though.
    At any rate; hit the bays around Esther island, then trolled the mouth of esther passage - no luck no sign of silvers at all.
    Then zipped over to Eshamy bay, trolled there for a few hours but all we caught were pesky rockfish, then went and looked at river at the backside of eshamy lagoon, only saw a few zombie fish (dead but still swimming around) and deaders on the bottom, they were smallish so I'm thinking they were the remains of chums and pinks.
    Man, I dont know whats going on, three weeks ago I was catching silvers in eshamy bay, it was slow but they were there. Now it's nothing, zip, zilch.
    And they've didnt show up at all at our favorite spots around esther island. And there are no deaders on the bottom at the mouth of the creeks we look at. I didnt go fishing for a couple of weeks prior to this, has the run come and gone?!

Default speculation

I think that you got the gone part right....not so much on the come part.

Sure was a mess of boats trolling in Passage Canal on Monday morning, figured the silvers had arrived. We were returning from 3 days over behind Glacier Island and didnít want to stop to fish, but there was definitely a hoopla going on.
    Jay
    07 C-Dory 25 Cruiser
    OurPlayground.

Default Pigot point on Monday

Trolled Pigot Point on Monday for a couple of hours. Got there and counted about 14 boats in the vicininity and thought there must be some action going on. We never got a strike, and all the while I was keeping and eye on everyone else with the glasses, and did not see a single fish caught. Have never seen so little action on silvers at this time of season.

Quote Originally Posted by Maast View Post
    Beautiful day yesterday and the water was super smooth outside passage canal, ran over a log at the head of passage on the way back but luckily no damage, scared the cr@p out of us though.
    Did you announce that log strike on the radio? I heard something about it on 16. I don't remember if it was Sunday or Monday. But I know there sure was a lot of stuff floating in Wells on Monday when we came back in though.

Anyway, we didn't see any sign of silvers on either side of Wells (Pigot or Esther) this weekend either. But when I was parking the trailer on Saturday, the attendant said they were starting to show in the harbor. Strange...

And, we only got a couple gallons of shrimp this weekend, too. We had to do some prospecting since a favorite hot spot we have only produced 5 shrimp from three pots after soaking for 5 hours. I don't know what's going on with that, either... Fished out? Or just unlucky?

We did manage to boat a 50 pound halibut on Monday, though. And the weather was fantastic most of the weekend. So I'm gonna call it a pretty good trip.
    Quote Originally Posted by northwestalska
    ... you canít tell stories about the adventures you wished you had done!

It was on sunday I called it out on 16, mainly because there were two other boats a min or two directly behind me and I thought they'd surely hit it too. I dont really know how coherent I sounded on the radio, I was still kinda rattled.
    Dang thing was floating really low in the water, and the chop hid it from me, even though I was looking out I never saw it before impact, and even afterward I had to look hard for it.
    Where'd you get the halibut? (if you dont mind sharing) we soaked a circle hook and jigged just outside main bay and all we got were rockfish.
    PS its not keeping my doublespacing between paragraphs...