Thread: Sizing help

Default Sizing help

Okay I have been having some problem resing some nickel plated brass. It is very hard to get into the die and almost feels like its gonna stick when I pull it out of the die. All brass is once fired 45-70, and I have tried using Hornady Oneshot, Redding Imperial die wax, and the old fashioned nasty RCBS roll on lube and pad. Either of the latter two methods work better than the Oneshot but not by much. I've got a whole bunch of this brass and dont want to throw it out but, I am wearing myself out to load a box of ammo.

Anyone have any suggestions, tips, tricks, or magic spells?

I'm not a fan of nickel cases, even in handguns. With those straight walled cases nickel really isn't a factor with carbide sizing dies, but that's not a possibility with the tapered 45-70 case, as far as I know. You've used the same lubes I use, so the other possibility would be a good cleaning before sizing. Do you have a case cleaner? Try that. Others with more experience using nickeled rifle cases will almost certainly have a better solution.

Use the Hornady one shot and after it dries use a little of the Imperial die wax. What press are you using?

Default Nickle cases

Nickel pistol cases will also scratch steel dies - one of the reasons for the popularity of carbide dies.

Scratching may be an issue in rifle dies also - anybody have much experience with them in rifles?
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

I wil try using the Oneshot and then some Imperial and see how that works out. My press is an ancient Rockchucker and I haven't had problems with any other caliber. Then again the only other nickeled brass I have ever used was 357. So thanks for the tip and I'll see how that works out.

Nickel is tough stuff but all I use is one-shot. I stand them up in a block and hit them from 3 sides at a 45 degree downward angle to get the inside neck all the way around. I let them sit a half hour or so and go at them a second time the same way then let them sit ten minutes and start running them. If they are still sticky and feel like my old rock crusher is about to pull the rim off I anneal them and start over. They are such a PITA I only load them when they will be kept in leather belt loops (copper and leather don't play well together) so I don't do that many of them.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Default Worked like a champ

Okay so I hosed down 10 cases with Oneshot and let them stand for a few minutes, then I smeared them lightly with Imperial die wax. Shoved them right through the sizing die almost as easy as plain brass. Thanks a bunch for the help fellas.

Thumbs up case Lube

Use a little dry case lube inside the neck............

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Well, you've got a straight sided case there, and you may be lubing because you aren't using carbide dies.

Anyway, you shouldn't have to size the entire case. IIRC, RCBS advises against that when using carbide dies with straight cases.

I've loaded lotsa 357s and 38 Specials, and a few 44 Mags that were nickel brass with no problem. I won't reload Bottle-neck Nickel rifle brass though, because I don't wanna risk damage to my dies.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

The 45-70 cases are straight sided but they are also tapered. I suspect this is the reason that I have never seen or even heard of a carbide sizing die for this caliber. Anywho, I just loaded 2 boxes of them with no trouble at all so now we get to go see how they shoot.

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

I see.
    Carbide dies won't work for tapered cases.

You could use a 45 Colt carbide die to neck-size .45-70 brass, but you probably knew that, already.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Default Never crossed my mind

But if for some reason I ever end up with a 45 Colt I might have to give it a shot.

If anyone is having sizing problems,as if the press is about to be ripped off the bench, the double lube thing really works. Use Hornady one shot first getting some inside the neck. Then, after it dries,use either Imperial die wax or Hornady Unique case lube. The difference is amazing but you won't believe it until you try.

Question the die...

Is your die clean inside?

338mag
    read all of post 7