Thread: Three River's Fly-Rod building classes?

Default Three River's Fly-Rod building classes?

http://www.3riversflyandtackle.com/fishing_classes.html

Judging by that time frame I am not availabe to attend such classes. However, from noon-to-four-pm M-F I am available; and anytime during
    the weekend.

Anyone else know of where I can learn the fine art of fly-fishing and rod-building classes here in the Mat-Su area? (If you'd like I could purchase a do-it-yourself-kit from Cabela's or BPS and have ya show me...I'd be glad to learn and would be more than willing to pay for it.)

Crab n Fish,

I get back to the valley the first week of Oct. I say we get together and build a rod or two. I have done a couple and have taken the class with 3 rivers (great class). I would suggest that you get the rod building jig or build one and if you are going to do many rods a rod drying motor is a good thing to have. You can rent one from 3 rivers for your first rod.

You will need to remind me once I get back cause I will have slept at least once the that alway ways tends to clear the brainial hard drive of some data.

George

Default Rod building Class

I hope you don't mind me jumping in on this thread. I am in the process of establishing a "Rod Building Club". It will be an opportunity for new rodbuilders to learn the craft, and an opportunity for experienced rodbuilders to exchange different technics. My primary concern is to make sure everyone has a good time. I am trying to get a location to hold the gatherings. I hope to have the location finalized by this weekend. It will be a central location for everyone in the Anchorage Matsu area if everything works out. I am aiming for the first part of October to get things rolling. I attended a "Gathering" with the NERBS (Northeast Rodbuilding Society) this spring while I was on a buisness trip to the East Coast. It was a blast. If your interested email me at 907rodbuilder@gmail.com. I will add you to my notification list.

Kirk

And FYI the guys at 3 rivers have been builiding rods for quite some time. I am sure they run a great program for learning to build rods

George and High,

I'm up for the offer. I just don't want to spend six hundred bucks on equipment to make an inferior rod. Could I start with a kit? I'm looking to buy dirt cheap blanks, make-do with what ya have for now household stuff to help in the process of building a rod?....I'm new to all of this and would LOVE to learn more....tiny baby steps, if ya will.

Post up and let me know how and where to begin.

I'm purposely a cheapskate until I learn what is what, and do not anticipate this spending as an end in itself. I'll pay for quality stuff when I learn how it'd suit me and this potential new hobby.

Crab n Fish,
    Stop by 3 rivers and ask to check out their rod building dvd. It is a great short video but shows a guy building a ultra lite spinning rod with a cardboard box as a jig and a coffe cup as a thread keeper. Very good video and they have a electric drill motor as a lathe for the cork.

I am the same way (cheap), it's why I love thrift shops....

Lets get together for coffee once I get back to the valley.

George

I have built 10 rods now. I didn't take class at 3 rivers tadkle shop.. But a hand wrapper and a lighted magnifier is a good buy for building rods.
    Last edited by aksportfisher; 09-14-2009 at 21:43. Reason: bad spelling

Aksportfisher,
    By hand wrapper you talking about a jig that holds the rod and line freeing up you hands?

I second the magnifier, has helped my wrapping a ton.

George

Flex coat hand wrapper HW1. I made a extra rod stand. Wrapper does come with one rod stand. I bought Flex coat fly rod building book and went for it. Mike paid me a compliment after building third fly rod.