Thread: Porting 870

Default Porting 870

Who in town can port my Remington 870 barrel ?

what type of remington 870 and whay do you want it ported

Default porting

just a regular 18" barrel wanting to get it proted to lessen some thump off it.

Default look up...

Look up the Vang Comp process from Hans Vang. A ported Vang Comped barell is in wide use by lots of govt. agencies here and abroad. I have been shooting them for years and it is the only ported weapon I own. I ordered a new barell from them and sold the one that came with my 870.

Porting stops more jump than thump, unless as indicated you use a Vang Comp barrel, which can get spendy. Hans is eccentruc, but is a nice guy and makes a nice barrel, and its always amusing when he stops in.

What kind of pad do you have. Pads take off more thump

I have one of the newer remington tactical 870s with the super cell pad and ported screw in choke tube/door frame stand off. This gun actually "thumps" very little. 3" slugs are manageable.

I think that a replacement supercell pad may be worth looking into.

Default Vang barrel vs Stock

Recently my Department purchased some new, stock 870 12ga shotguns. We went out and qualified and I was impressed. I have a Vang barrel on my gun and at 25 yards had a spread of 10.5 inches with .00 buck. The stock guns ( four of them) all had a spread of 4.5 inches or less at 25 yards with .00 buck. Made me wonder why I have a Vang barrel....I may have one for sale REAL soon. Anyway....just my two cents!

AK1032

Default Stock bbls

Are the stock bbls on the other guns choked at all ? If so that would be why they are throwing tighter patterns. As far as the patterns you described I think that at 25yds the smaller pattern would be harder to hit with when snap shooting or trying to hit amoving target. I think that part of the point of buckshot is to give you a higher hit probability and with a spread of only 4.5" at 25yds you might as well be using slugs. I don't know for sure but thats how it seems to me. And to answer the original question, yes we can port your barrel. It may reduce recoil some but the main area you will see improvement in is with muzzle rise,sure does make it easier to get back on target for the second shot with those heavy magnum duck loads.

Quote Originally Posted by seant View Post
    I have one of the newer remington tactical 870s with the super cell pad and ported screw in choke tube/door frame stand off. This gun actually "thumps" very little. 3" slugs are manageable.

I think that a replacement supercell pad may be worth looking into.

I have one too, I'm very happy with it.

Default Vang Follow up....

They are stock full chokes. I guess it depends on your application. We are a police department and are planning on shooting people targets, thus we want all of our rounds center mass and not catching bystanders...

Quote Originally Posted by The Kid View Post
    Are the stock bbls on the other guns choked at all ? If so that would be why they are throwing tighter patterns. As far as the patterns you described I think that at 25yds the smaller pattern would be harder to hit with when snap shooting or trying to hit amoving target. I think that part of the point of buckshot is to give you a higher hit probability and with a spread of only 4.5" at 25yds you might as well be using slugs. I don't know for sure but thats how it seems to me. And to answer the original question, yes we can port your barrel. It may reduce recoil some but the main area you will see improvement in is with muzzle rise,sure does make it easier to get back on target for the second shot with those heavy magnum duck loads.

Vang Comp does a great job on the 870 and I've got a full house 870 from him with porting and choke work as well as the new rear sight/rail combo. The porting and choke work are well worth the money. With careful ammo selection in a Vang Comp barrel you should be able to keep all pellets from 9 pellet 00 buck well inside a man sized target at 25 yards. The porting tends to reduce muzzle flash as well. I've posted pics of my Vang Comp 870 in the shotgun forum on M4carbine.net.

I have been in law enforcement for 25 years(half of which as a firearms instructor/academy instructor), but been around it for 44 years - dad was a police chief. I have never seen or heard of a police shotgun with anything other than a cylinder restriction. I have used Winchester 500s, Remington 870s, Ithaca 37s, and Winchester M12s. all had cylinder barrels. Not saying that some department didn't buy shotguns with something else, it's just that I have never heard of it. Lou

Quote Originally Posted by Chisana View Post
    I've posted pics of my Vang Comp 870 in the shotgun forum on M4carbine.net.
    Thats not going to cut it...we need some here

Why not change the stock? Blackhawk has the spec-ops adjustable recoil stock, I like it.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

Quote Originally Posted by hunt_ak View Post
    Thats not going to cut it...we need some here
    Okie doke. Not my best photography work. Before anyone asks why I didn't go with an extended magazine, I chose not to because these things are heavy enough without pushing more weight out forward. The jury is still out on the single point sling. It has it's uses, but is not a good general purpose sling. I will probably go back to two point at some time, but wanted to try single point on this gun. Other than that the gun is pretty much straightforward Vang Comp work. It is coated with Robar's Roguard with NP3 internals. I like the NP3, but prefer Birdsong's Black T over Roguard.

The base gun was an 870 Policve Magnum. The Police Magnum has a few nice upgrades over a standard 870 that are worth having for a hard use shotgun.

Default My mistake...

Dr. you are right.... Cylinder not full. Still the vang barrel at 25 yards was not as impressive as the new stock barrel for man size targets. At least my barrel.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Lou View Post
    I have been in law enforcement for 25 years(half of which as a firearms instructor/academy instructor), but been around it for 44 years - dad was a police chief. I have never seen or heard of a police shotgun with anything other than a cylinder restriction. I have used Winchester 500s, Remington 870s, Ithaca 37s, and Winchester M12s. all had cylinder barrels. Not saying that some department didn't buy shotguns with something else, it's just that I have never heard of it. Lou

Quote Originally Posted by AK1032 View Post
    Dr. you are right.... Cylinder not full. Still the vang barrel at 25 yards was not as impressive as the new stock barrel for man size targets. At least my barrel.
    That sounds better. Could be load dependant. Any given barrel will pattern differently with different buck loads Vang or not. I have a bunch of S&B buck that I bought cheap years ago. It patterns way differently than Winchester Ranger or Federal LE buck. The Ranger almost patterns too tight and I have to get back beyond 25 yards to start dropping pellets off of a Gunsite option target.