Thread: camera repair

Default camera repair

i have a small video camera that i need to have looked at.....anybody have any suggestions for a repairman in the valley......its a small canon zr85...and the tape wont load into the camcorder any more....thanks for any advice....some where in the valley preferred but if they are really good may take it into anchorage
    "early to bed, early to rise, fish like hell, and make up lies"

what is the error you are getting?...those canon's are notorious for getting the eject tape error...
    ------------------------------------------------
    pull my finger....

it just says eject cassette....it only let me load a tape in once since it happened and when i tried to play it it just made a whir whir whir noise then it told me to eject the cassette and hasn't accepted one since.....this is the first problem i've had with it since i bought it 5 years ago

let me guess, you get the whir whir whir noise followed by a few loud beeps....???

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but your money will be better spent on a new camera...I have 2 canons here at my house with that exact issue....if you google it you will see that it has been an issue for quite some time...everything from the ZR's up to the XL series had the problem....my last canon (Elura 70) bit the dust after filming off of my underwater camera while ice fishing....the propane heater created a pretty moist environment in the ice shack and I think I got moisture inside....the next day I went to watch the footage and I had the error on the screen.....it is now the most expensive toy my kids play with....

if it was under warranty I'd say fix it, but at 5 years old I say it isn't worth the trouble....it'll cost you $150+ to send it to Canon for repair and it might go another year or 2 , or it might only work for another week and get the same issue.....there are a lot of horror stories online.....

Even though I have had to deal with the issue twice, I now have my 3rd canon....I hear that the issue is pretty much resolved now....I hope so....If a new camera is something you want I'd suggest the HV-30.....pretty amazing camera for the money....They can be had for $500 to $650....if you can find one....they stopped making the HV-30 last year and have replaced it with the HV-40....basically the exact same camera except the MSRP is $999 ....

if you are interested, I can tell you all I know about the HV-30 and let you see the output....compared to your current camera it is night and day....

good luck...
    pull my finger....

Default thanks again

jut tried it again and it still wont accept a tape....looks like i'll probably be looking for a new camera...the HV-30 sounds nice...does it still use the same miniDV tapes that the zr's use....that would probably be my biggest issue....what is the optical zoom on the hv30.....is a HD like the hv40....the hv40 only has 10X optical...but 200 digital...i'm wondering though since its an hd if the digital zoom is really good....my older camera had a huge difference between the optical and digital zooms....hopefully they have worked on that.

Quote Originally Posted by sharksinthesalsa View Post
    jut tried it again and it still wont accept a tape....looks like i'll probably be looking for a new camera...the HV-30 sounds nice...does it still use the same miniDV tapes that the zr's use....that would probably be my biggest issue....what is the optical zoom on the hv30.....is a HD like the hv40....the hv40 only has 10X optical...but 200 digital...i'm wondering though since its an hd if the digital zoom is really good....my older camera had a huge difference between the optical and digital zooms....hopefully they have worked on that.

The HV-30 uses the MiniDV tapes (my preference for several reasons, editing being the main reason)

The optical zoom on the HV-30 is the same as the HV-40, the digital zoom is fine...I actually have some footage from a few weeks ago that goes from full digital zoom all the way back out and it looked good...not REALLY good on full zoom but just good....certainly better than the zr's...

The HV-30 is an HD camera

Basically the HV-20, 30 and 40 are nearly identical cameras...If you can find an HV-20 at a good price that would be a good choice as well....the HV-20 was a bit ahead of its time, when it first came out it was quite the rage....

Like I said, if you are interested, you are more than welcome to test mine out......

Don't sell yourself short however, there are several good cameras in the same price range that are worth a look....

***on a side note....I have read that if you use a hair dryer on your broken camera that it sometimes fixes it....I tried it but it didn't work for me...it would be worth a couple of minutes of your time though....

open the tape slot and blow a hair dryer around in there on high (low heat) for a minute or two...I wouldn't have high hopes as it didn't work for me but I'd be interested to hear your results....
    pull my finger....

Default thanks for all the info

i set the camera on the heating register for two whole nights with no success.....i'm sure its toast......either way i can't really afford a new camera right now....but its nice to know whats good out there....have you gotten a moose yet?.....i have been dealing with some life crap lately and hunting has been put on hold...but i hope to get out and use my ft rich tag soon

Default camera came back to life!!!

canon camera had been dead since august......have been thinking about how much i miss having my camcorder.....pulled it out....still didn't work.....blower dryer+banging+cussing=working.....i don't know for how long and surely when there some awesome critter mere yards away giving me the perfect photo op, or just before i'm about to pull the trigger on a an animal it is sure to give out once again....but until then i have proved once again that i can fix dam near anything

glad to hear you got it working....
    pull my finger....

don't ask me how!!!.....haven't checked it it a few hours...could be broke again already

Living @ the Top of the World in Barrow Alaska

GOOD FOR YOU !!! Right on !! That would be my exact suggestion to follow (before you toss it in the trash).

Bang it - kick it - etc. dry it. bake it - try everything you can think of .. use YOUR HEAD - not google !!!

Success always feels so sweet indeed when you fix something no one can figure out !!!

So glad you posted your SUCCESS story !!

A lesson for all to LEARN FROM !!

Big reps for you - for showing us how it is done and accomplished !!

STANDING - CLAPPING - CHEERING !!!