Thread: Dreaming of a freighter

Default Dreaming of a freighter

I've decided our ultimate boat is a freighter. I like there versatility, ability to haul heavy payloads and love there connection to Alaskan and Michigan history. The freighter canoe was the back bone of Michigan's fur trade for over a century and were used by fathers Marquette and Baraga on there explorations of the great lakes and northern plains states. Here in Alaska they continue to allow us to use our river systems to haul loads and explore with our families. We are saving for a Scott Hudson bay, that may take years. While we are saving I'm thinking of offering my 1988 ski doo tundra with a little utility trailer up for trade for a 19+ footer. It would be heart braking to say good buy to the tundra but a freighter could do allot more for the family. I'll post over in the swap area.
    BHA Member
    Bowyer to the forces of light in the land of the midnight sun.
    The 3 fold way: Every step we take as we walk through life effects, our family, our comunity and ourselves. One should walk thoughtfuly.

Default freighter

We need someone to start making them here in alaska so we don't have to pay through the roof in shipping!! Anyone out there interested in starting your own business?? Maybe offer a couple models, a lightweight 19 footer with a lift for smaller creeks and portaging around logjams, a 21 foot midsize with a lift, and a 24 footer etc. etc. seems to be quite a market out there...

Agreed I was stuned to find no new canoe dealers in Alaska!
    BHA Member
    The 3 fold way: Every step we take as we walk through life effects, our family, our comunity and ourselves. One should walk thoughtfuly.

I could use some guidance on used freighters. I looked at a 19 foot Grumman today and noticed right away that I'd like something in the 21 foot range better. Do used Scott Hudson bays ever become available? What is a fair price for a 19 foot Grumman or a Hudson bay in good condition? How much dose a lift usually cost?
    BHA Member

Rick,
    I'd go for a grumman first and then see if youd like to save the your money and pick up a bigger scott at a later time. they rarely show up used. I know this because ive routinely checked craigslist and they are very rarely around. It would be best to just go pick one up in whitehorse when you're good n ready. In the meantime....just pick up a used gem. and Osagian 17 footer or and oldtown discovery sport 17 are also viable options too. The grumm, the oldtown, and osagian are all really good boats to line up shallows and get in some really skinny places. good luck.

Default I'm dreaming...

... of a fat freighter
    just like the sourdoughs used to know.
    With my outboard humming,
    the mooses will be coming,
    to see my camp fire all aglow.

Etc.

Seriously, however...
    I've had a 17' Alumacraft for more than twenty-five years. It is roomy, stable, and has an "hourglass" transom (rather than flat) which is nice for following seas. You may pick up one of these along the way. They are well built, though probably not as good as a Grumman.

Default square stern canoe

If I were looking for a "freighter", I would check the want ads in Whitehorse or place an ad in one of their two newspapers. Usually, they would refer to 17'-19' as square stern canoes.

There was a manufacturer there that closed about 2-3 years ago.....he made some really decent canoes at very reasonable prices.....there should be some around Whitehorse for sale I would think. I don't think he made any over 18' but I may be wrong. But there are just a heck of a lot more canoes used in Canada than there are in Alaska.

THe scott HB are fantastic,I like mine more everytime I use it,I also have an esquif 17' cargo canoe,fantastic canoe.If your ever down in whitehorse you can have alook at my esquif, I am going to part with my esquif canoe,as I use the HB most now

thanks

Here is the plan Tracy and I have come up with. Save till spring, then really work to locate a 19 foot Grumman, Michicraft, etc in good shape. Use that boat for a couple of years while we either 1) save for a new HB or 2) add on a shop for me and I'll biuld one. I've built cedar strip boats in the past and have guided for both cameoing and kayaking. There is no doubt I'll love a freighter. I think getting one didn't really cross my mind as an option because of my back injury. I had to totally give up kayaking but I can finally canoe all day. Building has always been more of a kayak thing than canoe for me, guess I just filed it away with "things I can't do anymore".
    BHA Member

Default sorta frieghter

Talked to the guy at the boatshop here in Fairbanks and they can have a custom boat built by alumaweld thats 22 ft long and a 40 inch bottom for around $4000 which is cheaper than a fiberglass scott, you could also do a 24 footer with a 44 inch bottom too. a 20 to 30 hp fourstroke prop would sip the gas and with a jack-ass lift you could go pretty shallow too, just another option...............

Rick, how about building a cedar strip freighter? something I've wanted to do for awhile now.... Havent found much for plans though. Might have to borrow one of these scotts to make some molds from to build a stripper off of ..that is if I can find someone with one who'll borrow it for a long weekend or so.

Quote Originally Posted by TradBow View Post
    Rick, how about building a cedar strip freighter? something I've wanted to do for awhile now.... Havent found much for plans though. Might have to borrow one of these scotts to make some molds from to build a stripper off of ..that is if I can find someone with one who'll borrow it for a long weekend or so.

In the meantime tradbow,
    ur more n welcome to run my other "square sterned canoe" for next moose season. I'll be doing some early season scouting come may. Actually......I'll be allllllll over the Yukon and it's tributaries prob two times a month until moosey season. Feel free to join for the ride, hopefully Familyman will find some time from work too......we can make it a canoe convoy. Until then......bring on the icefishing! time to fill the freezer with lakers and burbot!

Default Lets go

Is it May yet?

Yes, I just need to do some mods this winter. I've decided to redo some of the seating too.

Its starting to look like I'll need to haul my flatbed and canoe up north for a few months to get that lift installed; if another freighter guy also wanted to, there will be room on my flatbed for a second one. Any other Anchorage freighters interested?

And the spray rails of course. Pat over at scottcanoe.com has said he'll send me some specs for that (and you know how too; I know).

I'll be a fun winter followed by an even better spring/summer/fall.

Mainer...your on! I found an osagian that I can borrow. Maaaaybe . He uses it for moose season also so I didnt get the chance to borrow it this season. Besides I hate borrowing anything. Would love to have one of my own.

Didnt know you were a ice fishn mac man too...we'll have to hook up somewhere this winter! Burbot hasnt eluded me, yet I cant find them when I go looking in the winter, minus the one I nabbed in 120 fow...quite the suprise!

Question ice fishing burbot

Quote Originally Posted by TradBow View Post
    Didnt know you were a ice fishn mac man too...we'll have to hook up somewhere this winter! Burbot hasnt eluded me, yet I cant find them when I go looking in the winter, minus the one I nabbed in 120 fow...quite the suprise!
    Mainer, you know where I like to launch my freighter... have you had any wintertime luck pulling burbot through the ice in lake #1 of 3??? If so, maybe that's the place to try... I'm up for it too. I know they're there but I've not gone there in winter before.

Ya gotta be excited to be coming back in the next few weeks - thinking of large winter burbot might be one more thing to look forward to!

FamilyMan,

Lake "#1" is hardly of any interest to me cuz of the bag limit. I have built a custom insulated icehouse that breaks down into it's own freight sled. It's dimensions are 8ft.x8ft.x8.5ft. tall. It is basically a portable/permanent....and MAN does it hold heat! It's made to haul to backcountry/remote locations and live like a comfortable king @ 30 below in the middle of nowhere. So......I have serveral "secret weapon" lakes that are some of the finest Burbot and Laker fishing that you'll EVER find. IF you want..........we can go visit the Lake Trout "Master".......Kirk Wilson............he may have some years over me......but I know the burbot movements pretty well.

****Disclaimer***.....before anybody tries to complain about the amount of Burbot in my picure.....IT WAS THE COLLECTION OF 4 FISHERMAN (60 fish total) IN A "15 BURBOT A DAY" BAG LIMIT! So.....FamilyMan.....Tradbow.....be prepared to fill the freezer in about 45 days!

Last edited by mainer_in_ak; 03-11-2010 at 20:12.

Arrow Yer thinkin' big...

That's great - you are thinkin' big there.

No snowmachine here but I've got two ATVs - especially my larger one with good tires might be able to drag that palace out on a lake... Man o man, I've lived in apartments smaller than that!

Get back here to Alaska and lets warm up with some 12 ounce curling exercises, K?