Thread: worst crab ever

Default worst crab ever

My wife sent me and the boy to the store to get a couple things today.We get back to the sea food section and spy the king crab legs on sale.So I grab 5 pounds and a bottle of wine(been married 14 years) and head home.I make up the crab we all sit down at the table.The crab looked like it was molting.Big legs and NOOOOO meat.What the hell?

Smile do this...

Take it back and get your money back. Tell them they ruined your anniversary dinner. Buy another bottle of wine and order pizza or Chinese food. Tell wife thanks for the best 14 years of your life. Go fishing.

Thank God it was not my anniversary..After rereading my post I can see why you thought that.Hell I was hoping to put the kids to bed and may be get lucky

Quote Originally Posted by elim View Post
    Thank God it was not my anniversary..After rereading my post I can see why you thought that.Hell I was hoping to put the kids to bed and may be get lucky
    Tell me about it. I was fixin to fly out of the 13th for the palooza and the wife informed me about our anniversary on the that date! Talk about a lousy day to get married on! *** with the memorization of dates anyway? Must be a chick thing... I guess I'll have to wait a day to fly out to get my AK jones on! Freakin women! LOL!

Unhappy very likely were not AK king crab....

lots of russian product is being dumped up here, i am pretty sure that alaska regs take into account molt cycles and try not to fish on them when they are soft...
    also coulda been too long in the freezer...
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

It's a softshell crab! When a crab molts it is not only shedding it's shell but preparing for an elargement of its body by taking on water to fill the larger crevaces not yet meat-filled. I've caught lots of Blue Crabs down in Texas, during the molt and experienced it! (One sure sign a crab is not in the molt is the underbelly, which should be stained and off-white in color...if it is perfectly bleached white then it is known as a softshell....And don't forget these crabs in this cycle are worthy of eating...Just clean out the mustard and remove the gills, fry 'em up and eat in a bun....

......So I grab 5 pounds .....Big legs and NOOOOO meat.What the hell?
    First clue: You got 45 crab legs and they only weighed 5 pounds!

Default lie

Tell them it was you anniversary anyway. Better yet, bring your wife and have her cry

Have her cry???My wife is a yeller not a cryer!Believe me you don't want to piss her off!

Quote Originally Posted by Milo View Post
    Tell them it was you anniversary anyway. Better yet, bring your wife and have her cry

Default Pre or Post-Molt Crab

From your description it sounds like you got screwed by someone willing to buy and re-sell pre or post-molt King crab. Generally this is not a problem with Red or Blue King caught in Alaska waters because the commercial fishing seasons coincide with the migration to spawning areas and the crab are in near-peak physical condition.

Brown King crab are a different story. Rather than a set calendar period when they shed their shells - in my own commercial fishing experience Browns seem to molt at all times of the year (depending upon the amount of food available). It is very possible to capture "light" Browns during the various commercial Brown King fisheries - in which case it is up to both the fisherman and the initial processor if they sort-out and throw back "light" Browns. (We used to call them "conduit crab" because the "meat" inside of the shell would look like a couple of small-gauge electrical leads inside a piece of conduit.) Inexperienced deck crew may toss some light ones in their live tank just because they are legal-sized but definitely not the quality the consumer would prefer to pay for. Greed may also have something to do with their decisions while sorting.

If you still have any of the crab I recommend you take them back to the seller and complain. If they are a reputable operation they should replace with a higher-quality King crab product. Good luck! ;-]

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Have her cry???My wife is a yeller not a cryer!Believe me you don't want to piss her off!
    well then take her in to tell them she coulda caught bigger crabs with more sustenance in the Porty johns in Homer......

heck these lowly wasteful things look like the homeless crabs of Anchorage that never quite make it to the Porty johns.....

see if that gets attentios...
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Wink c'mon vince...

why homer?
    why is it always homer?
    why not seward or whittier or valdez?
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

Default Homer or the Butte

Quote Originally Posted by homerdave View Post
    why homer?
    why is it always homer?
    why not seward or whittier or valdez?