Thread: Help with BOBBINS needed!

Default Help with BOBBINS needed!

Well my first attempt at tying flies in 35yrs was a real mess. The problem i had was my bobbins kept cutting my 210 denier thread and fraying my floss really bad. they were Cabelas 4.00 bobbins so i guys i got what i paid for. What would you recommend? Ceramic?? Thanks for the help!

Ceramic is definately the way to go IMHO. Those Cabela's tools are pretty junky.
    ><((((>.`..`.. ><((((>`..`.><((((>

"People who drink light 'beer' don't like the taste of beer; they
    just like to pee a lot." --Capitol Brewery

ceramic without a doubt! and you can adjust the tention by spreading or closing the arms as needed....

Default Rite brand Bobbins

I started using Rite brand bobbins about 15 years a go and won't use anything else anymore. They are ceramic and you can adjust your thread tension for any thread you choose to use. I think they are about 2X as much as normal bobbins-but you get 2X the product too. I believe Cabelas does carry them also.

Default automatic bobbin

Take a look at the automatic bobbin from Nor-vise. I got one this spring with my norvise, and I love it. It took a little getting use to, but once you get past the learning curve, it makes all the other bobbins so slow to use.

Jake
    All the romance of trout fishing exists in the mind of the angler and is in no way shared by the fish.

C&F Designs Ceramic Bobbin.

A little spendy, but you will never need another bobbin.

I went through about 15-20 bobbins before I got this one 2 years back, it is my go-to now for several hundred dozen flies a year.

Having said that, bobbin type and style are a matter of personal preference, and as long as it gets the job done and you like it, it's good.

I just ordered a few new ceramic bobbins. I think that will cure the problem. Thanks for your help!

One thing to avoid when using your ceramic bobbin is kevlar thread. I have been told that the kevlar can damage the ceramic. So be safe and save the metal bobbins for kevlar is you use it, it shouldn't break like the other line.