Thread: Placer River

Default Placer River

Had someone tell me the silver fishing has been hot in the Placer River for the last several days. Can anyone confirm this, and where does one go to fish from shore? I've never tried that river and am pretty clueless on this one.

Default walk in access is tough due to railroad rules

Used to be you could walk down the railroad tracks and hit the slough on the Placer from the first creek you cross over on the tracks, then there are a few more spots farther down along the tracks.

I used to walk 3 miles down the tracks and then wade down Skookum Creek, or bash through the alders to where it enters the Placer for a great spot to fish for Silvers.

Today the railroad will fine you $1,000 per person for walking down the tracks, you can cross them, but you can not walk down them..............

If you do walk the tracks, make sure you look back every few minutes................it is true that you often do not hear a train coming from behind (even if they blow their horn) until it is about to run you over...........and they can not stop quickly

Quote Originally Posted by titobandito View Post
    Used to be you could walk down the railroad tracks and hit the slough on the Placer from the first creek you cross over on the tracks, then there are a few more spots farther down along the tracks.

I used to walk 3 miles down the tracks and then wade down Skookum Creek, or bash through the alders to where it enters the Placer for a great spot to fish for Silvers.

Today the railroad will fine you $1,000 per person for walking down the tracks, you can cross them, but you can not walk down them..............

If you do walk the tracks, make sure you look back every few minutes................it is true that you often do not hear a train coming from behind (even if they blow their horn) until it is about to run you over...........and they can not stop quickly
    I never understood how a railroad can fine you. They are not police of any nature. It seems they could call the police, but they don't have the right to touch you, chase you, detain you, or anything like that. I'm not advocating trespassing or walking on the tracks at all, but how does a railroad worker have any right to even try to give you a ticket? The first thing I would as is "Where is your badge?". Maybe they have a badge, just wondering.
    Hike faster. I hear banjo music.

Default They do

Wildog,
    They do have their own police, just like the feds on the upper kenai all their agents drive tahoes/ 4x4s & they say police on the side, complete with lights, cages, handcuffs & guns. Their bages & tickets are real as well. And trust me on this one if you go down to ship creek & blow through the stop signs or speed down the hill they will give you tickets that are the same as trooper tickets. Points on you lisc. & court date if you wish to fight it. You probably see them on the glen hwy as well as in town as they go anywhere there is track, real estate, or property & equipment from Swd to FBKS. They even caught papa pilgram a while back. Anyway back to the trespessing on the right of way. There is a section house in portage that makes it easy to see people walking on the track in that area. At first I was in disagreement with why they would enforce this but year after year snowmachines & 4 wheelers & cars get hit up here by locomotives. For example the juviniles that got their pickup stuck on the tracks by Euklutna endangered all the passengers & crew on the train as it plowed into the truck. It costs millions for the locomotives & just think about the innocent people that can be hurt. That is why they get mad at you when you are caught walking the tracks when if you really want to get in there you need to bust through the alders instead.

Default Alaska Railroad Police

Quote Originally Posted by wildog View Post
    I never understood how a railroad can fine you. They are not police of any nature. It seems they could call the police, but they don't have the right to touch you, chase you, detain you, or anything like that. I'm not advocating trespassing or walking on the tracks at all, but how does a railroad worker have any right to even try to give you a ticket?
    The Alaska Railroad Police are in fact fully sworn law officers. You can contact AK RR at 907.265.2463 if you have questions. Chief is Special Agent Dan Frerich.

Seems like a throwback to the great depression, like there's a big hobo problem today.

Quote Originally Posted by Milo View Post
    The Alaska Railroad Police are in fact fully sworn law officers. You can contact AK RR at 907.265.2463 if you have questions. Chief is Special Agent Dan Frerich.

Seems like a throwback to the great depression, like there's a big hobo problem today.
    Wow. I'll have to look for them. Are they paid by AK tax dollars (oil or whatever)? I wonder where that budget comes from.
    Hike faster. I hear banjo music.

Quote Originally Posted by Milo View Post

Wow the Pinkertons......

ALASKAN SEA-DUCTION
    1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
    MMSI# 338131469
    Blog: http://alaskanseaduction.blogspot.com/

I believe the railroad is state run. Most of their budget comes from freight hauling. Their biggest income is from hauling jet fuel from North Pole.

we just hide in the alders.

Will they fine you if you put pennies and nickels on the tracks so the train will flatten them into huge shapes? I like to do that when I'm berry picking near the tracks and a train comes along.

(I'm very immature, I realize. )

woo more gpsing out of the way fishing spots woo!
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Default >>>-------->

"I'll wager I will fish Mr.Special Agents' trackalackas!"

Hmm

Alaska for 3 years and I just found this forum... not sure how that happened.

is there anywhere on Placer to fish without hiking for 3 miles??? The hiking doesn't bother me I could use the exercise, but unfortunately as a father of 4 I don't have the TIME to hike for that long.

Any silvers still at Glacier Creek? never fished there but saw a book that suggested a good spot.

Quote Originally Posted by Sierra Dragon View Post
    Hmm

Alaska for 3 years and I just found this forum... not sure how that happened.

is there anywhere on Placer to fish without hiking for 3 miles??? The hiking doesn't bother me I could use the exercise, but unfortunately as a father of 4 I don't have the TIME to hike for that long.

Any silvers still at Glacier Creek? never fished there but saw a book that suggested a good spot.
    Excellent question. Much like mine, which somehow got off-track (HA! A train pun!)....and really never got answered.....

Use a boat or canoe to go up stream.
    It ain't about the # of pounds of meat we bring back, nor about how much we spent to go do it. Its about seeing what no one else sees.

http://wouldieatitagainfoodblog.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by garnede View Post
    Use a boat or canoe to go up stream.

thanks! now I just need a boat or canoe

I'll have to find a good used one over the winter I guess.

Smile

To answer the question on the Placer, 20-mile, etc... the fishing for Silver Salmon and Char has been OK, to a little tight-lipped on certain tides, to very few being winched in as compared with seasonal trends.

I'd have to say this is a little like the waterfowl hunting as well down there this year... pretty warm weather.

Traveling/walking the tracks will get you into trouble one way or another - eventually. I have seen two close calls of guys walking (then sprinting like klutzes) on the 20-mile River and Portage Creek trestles as the whistles blow down their heels.

Why walk at all --- Several folks have been renting our inflatable jet skiffs to fish the drainage. The 30hp Jet on 14' inflatable, self-bailing response boat is light and easy... not even a trailer is needed. Set up time is 15 minutes to on water. It will do 20mph upstream in ankle deep with two guys and fishin' rods.

We also provide a stable inflatable canoe with outboard that runs nice and shallow up to the first few fishing tribs that come in holding Silvers.

Both ways are great for the folks that have an afternoon or evening to fish and/or waterfowl hunt. Most are averaging their two Silvers and a Dolly every trip. Some are making it a two-dayer overnight camping trip. At very least a nice way to introduce you to this area and opens up much of what it has to offer.

Hope this helps -

Default just to clarify

Quote Originally Posted by titobandito View Post

They don't fine you the court does when you go to court. Yes you have to go to court, yes you will have a criminal record, yes you can go to jail. A little jaunt down the track can get costly.