Thread: bank fishing in mat-su valley?

Default bank fishing in mat-su valley?

I'm new to the state and don't really know anybody here. I used to be a southern boy, avid bass fisher, and knew all the great spots in NE Alabama to land the fish.

I'm looking to put a lure in the water before winter sets in, but don't have a boat (yet) and don't know where I can legally and successfully do a bit of bank fishing. I don't know how to fly fish so I'll probably use an open face reel.

Any tips on a location?

Thanks in advance!

there are lots of lakes for trout/char and pike fishing in the valley...check out the fish and game website for a list of stocked lakes in the area, or look at the fresh reports on alaska outdoor journal private angler reports. you dont have wait till spring to go fishing again...ice fishing is pretty fun and a good way to meet new fishin buddies. as for bank fishing for salmon right now, you can still get some on the little su, willow creek, sheep creek slough, and jim creek.

Thanks! I've been so looking forward to this

Check your Private Messages.

War Eagle
    It ain't about the # of pounds of meat we bring back, nor about how much we spent to go do it. Its about seeing what no one else sees.

http://wouldieatitagainfoodblog.blogspot.com/

You can get trout out of most of the parks highway streams. At the end of the month that will start to dry up a bit, but you should still have a couple weeks of good fishing that is accessable from shore.

nice dog. pm sent

I'll take any suggestions from the pm crowd as well.. I'm hoping to get out tonight or tomorrow... (my timings a bit off for success at Jim so I was hoping for another Mat-su location that I could try)

take Jim Creek off the list.

no fish there today and all the remains looked to be a day or two old. The state trooper handing out tickets today said it's pretty much its the late end of the run. there may be fish further upstream but 'll need a boat to get at them.

Eklutna tailrace still has some life at it... I stopped there on the way home andthe 2 hours I was there I saw 2 caught between a half dozen anglers. they are rolling and jumping around but not biting at much... both caught fish were on the eggs with neon yellow corkie. My son got a hit on a pink and yellow cheaters with eggs. about half dozen anglers for a saturday afternoon. best bet at the 'race is probably at first light.