Thread: Lost one too...

Default Lost one too...

Made a phone call from the middle of the river; started my drive back on my quad to camp and a nice forked horn practically ran me over; I paused my quad, started to unshoulder my rifle and before I could place the cross hairs on a 15 yard shot - *poof* disappeared into the alders. I tried calling (to no avail) and tracking the nice prints he left (the rooster tail of silt was easy to follow too) and bupkus... no moose.

I was so demoralized on my way back to camp I found myself talking out loud...
    "He was right there... RIGHT THERE!"
    "Stupid motorized vehicle rule... fair chase? What's that? I can chase him... he's got four legs, I have four tires..."
    "I can't believe I'm talking to myself... shut up self..... okay."
    "He who is slow to anger is better than the mighty, and he who rules his spirit is better than he who takes a city." ~ Proverbs 16:32

Talking who did you try to call?

After he disappeared into the alders, who did you try to call? That said, who were you calling when he about ran you over. You apparently call a lot of people while hunting, you must love your cell phone!! Do you think you learned any life lesson's because of all those calls? Just curious!!

Default Look here...

Quote Originally Posted by thewhop2000 View Post
    After he disappeared into the alders, who did you try to call? That said, who were you calling when he about ran you over. You apparently call a lot of people while hunting, you must love your cell phone!! Do you think you learned any life lesson's because of all those calls? Just curious!!
    I wasn't calling you Palooka!

I wish I was as good at killing moose as you are at killing fish... I'd never have an empty freezer!
    "He who is slow to anger is better than the mighty, and he who rules his spirit is better than he who takes a city." ~ Proverbs 16:32

Robb, not sure if you were still on your quad when you unshouldered rifle to shoot. Someone correct me if wrong, but I think it is illegal to shoot from "on" your atv.

Quote Originally Posted by bushrat View Post
    Robb, not sure if you were still on your quad when you unshouldered rifle to shoot. Someone correct me if wrong, but I think it is illegal to shoot from "on" your atv.
    Only reference I can find is on page 18. Indicates "A motor-driven boat or motorized land vehicle, unless the motor has been shut off and the progress from the motor's power has ceased...", HOWEVER, goes on to specify wolves can be shot from a stationary ATV in certain GMUs.
    Do you have another reference other than page 18?
    Thank you
    Joe (Ak)

Default Back Country Robb

Be Careful!! The PC Police are coming for you!!

If someone would have bought someones pistol, perhaps someone could have got a shot off.

Talking

Note to self: Go strap that short barreled shotgun with 00 Buck on the wheeler.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

Default no reference offhand

This came up a couple years ago and as I recall the final word from AWT was that shooting from "on" an atv was illegal, but it could be used for a rest.

The only reason I posted was because I didn't want someone to post of a successful hunt in which he/she shot from on the atv, and then find out it was illegal and get in trouble based on their post. Troopers do peruse this forum.

Default Lost one

Several years ago while walking on an old fire break, I heard a noise and stopped. Rifle was still on the shoulder, an a little fork horn bull stuck his head out of the brush about 30 ft from me. Slowly I reach for my 45 ACP that was in it shoulder holster and popped him between the eyes. Down and out with out any movement.
    Who says that the 'old warhorse' 45 ACP will not take a moose. Glad I had it on at this time.
    Since then I most always carry a pistol of some sort for those 'close' shots.