Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: kodiak silvers

Default kodiak silvers

we are headed for kodiak on saturday any silvers in the rivers yet?

Nothing yet. I think there will be no silvers hitting the road system streams this year. They should be closing all fishing down anyday.
    Just kidding, the fishing has been good to great all across the road system.

oooooooooooooh so funny talked to fish and game and they said the rivers are stuffed

Sweet. I'll be there the 15th through the 20th. It's gonna be awesome!
    Hike faster. I hear banjo music.

Just got back from Kodiak early this morning. The fishing was probably the best that we have encountered in the past four years. There were lots of fresh fish coming into the rivers. I thought that with the state of our economy that the number of people would be down from last year, but we encountered many more fishermen than last year. Prepare yourself for slight delays on the road if you are planning on heading to Olds, American, Pasagshak, etc. as the road crews are milling and repaving the highway and are working 24/7 when weather permits. All in all one of our best trips ever

Sounds awesome. One of these days, hopefully soon, I'm going to get a chance at the legendary silver fishing of Kodiak!

reports like this slows down the time. I am itching to get transferred already.

I'm hoping a job comes through for me there, too.

Will 2nd that in the fishing, 1st time to Kodiak and fished the road. Was there the 11-17 with an avg of 6 landed per day, most on the fly. Could catch pinks till your arms were sore and a few chum as well. Pick up your limited with eggs on the Busking in a hour, if even that long. The Pasagshak fish are huge, if you don't mind the crowds and flossing.

I went up to the Buskin a few days ago and it was PACKED with people fishing. As soon as one guy caught a fish, three more people were fighting to take his "hole". As I am not much of a fisherman, maybe someone could answer this question. If you live out of the state of Alaska and want to come up here and fish, why spend all that money to come to the Buskin and deal with combat fishing? I used to enjoy alittle fishing here and there but seems like the rivers get more and more people each year wether it is down Pasagshak or the Buskin. So for me, it's not even worth it to leave my house and drive 3 miles down the road to fish but some people are coming from Texas, Colorado etc!!

Buskin is still better than the Kenai. Preferred Salonie, as you mentioned light on the crowds. The American & Olds are beautiful but did not have any fish unless you want to target Pinks & Chums. Did a Saltry trip as well but not as many hook ups as expected.
    Remember you will find crowds anywhere the fish are.

Quote Originally Posted by Col. F Rodder View Post
    Buskin is still better than the Kenai. Preferred Salonie, as you mentioned light on the crowds. The American & Olds are beautiful but did not have any fish unless you want to target Pinks & Chums. Did a Saltry trip as well but not as many hook ups as expected.
    Remember you will find crowds anywhere the fish are.
    Hey I'm still in Kodiak, I spent a week fishing and two of the days hunting. Pretty good fishing but not the fantastic fishing I've been told about in the past. The olds was the best I thought, we picked up some beautiful 12-15 pound silvers there on spinners. The American was chuck full of a billion pinks that were on the bite, that was fun I guess. The Pasagshak? was cool but that was all sight fishing and lining them, they don't really bite there much. It's awesome here but there are some crowds, not as bad as the K. Penn. though, and the fishing is just pretty good, not fantastic from my one week here. There were so many rivers and creeks that all held fish though, if one place was packed you could go a few miles and there was another. The dolly's were great though. We found this one stream that was about 4 or 5 feet wide that slowly went through the salt flats that was chuck full of dolly's. We got a few to bite but they were spooked pretty easy. One was full of eggs. I imagine with a salt water boat it would be incredible here.
    Hike faster. I hear banjo music.

Yes the there can be combat fishing on Kodiak but it you take the time to walk a little bit you might be surprised how lonesome it gets, even on the Buskin! The best spots will always have other fisherman but if you get there early you can avoid some of the crowds.
    My best piece of advice to everyone, fish bridge one around noon and you will catch your limit of fish ;-)

There is a lot of lining going on on all of the roadside rivers. And once that starts the fish freak out and go off the bite. My solution was to be on the water at daybreak. The fish are often new and rested that early and will take the fly for a couple of hours before the crowds start to show up.

Anyone have any pictures of these roadside Kodiak silvers? I want to get an idea of size, since I've heard the Kodiak fish are big.

There has been a lot less lining this year due to the high water. This has also produced better fishing upriver since the fish have traveled upstream without being harassed.

Default Buskin BS

Snaggers....

So today my dad and I were out at the mouth of Buskin and witnesses someone snag a Silver in the tail and once landed unhooked it and walked off the beach like it was no big deal. This after I released one foul hook and my dad released 2 foul hooked fish. My blood was boiling but what do I do? Confront this guy? I felt so helpless.

I find the best way to deal with snaggers is to give them the stink eye and let them know you see them, then pull out the phone. I guess it helps I where a fish and game hat. If he was in salt water though, he's well within his right to keep a snagged fish. Just wish the snaggers would set gillnets to get their fish instead...
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

PS here is a Kodiak hatchery silver

I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Quote Originally Posted by coho slayer View Post
    Anyone have any pictures of these roadside Kodiak silvers? I want to get an idea of size, since I've heard the Kodiak fish are big.
    Average silvers from last year. I'm heading to Kodiak this weekend to work for a couple of weeks. Maybe I'll get a chance to see if there's still a silver or two about...
    Pursue happiness with diligence.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast