Thread: Tops or Bottoms on Caribou

Default Tops or Bottoms on Caribou

What is more impressive on a caribou, Great tops with lots of long heavy points that roll forward for the typical "G" look.

Or Massive flat wide Bez's and super palmated shovels.

Of course having both is the key, but what makes for the more impressive mount in the one bull that has one over the other.

Also is the whiteness or thickness of the Mane have anything to do with age of the Bull?

Best of luck to all this season,

Default Caribou Age

I'm not sure ir it's dominance or age but it seems to me that "older/more dominant" bulls seem to have a white mane.

As far as rack, I don't have any place to put a shoulder mount of a caribou but I choose BOTH for an impressive rack. If I had to choose one, it would be the tops.

BTW, I'm still looking for that "special" caribou rack.

Got to have both or its just another bou. If looking for a trophy you have to stay in the top ten percent of Caribou as few have it all hence trophy,something you work hard for.Most all of them eat good and the real trophy is when the wife sets it on the table.JMHO

IMHO the most impressive part of a caribou is the sausages!

(you can't eat antlers)

Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

+1 on the meat. As far as antlers go, I really think it is different for every bull. It is truly up to the shooter and what he likes. Any animal is a trophy in my eyes.

Thumbs up

I always start out looking at the tops and then let my eyes wander further south.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

I'll take a cow. Much better eating.

I believe that mane thickness and color is relative to maturity of bull.When hunting for trophy bulls. I am a sucker for good tops. Good tops are essential for a good score if you are interested in B&C or SCI scoring.That being said, I find a bull with some palmation on top and several reasonably long points more attractive than a bull with the same palmation and just a couple of very long points- even though the latter will score higher b&c. As far as shovels- I would rather have one large shovel than two small ones, even though in all likelihood the latter would score better. I Don't worry about the bez too much. Alaska barren ground caribou pretty much suck hind tit in that department, at least compared to the Quebec Labrador caribou.

Quote Originally Posted by Akres View Post
    I always start out looking at the tops and then let my eyes wander further south.
    I like to look deep in their eyes

If you cant stand behind the troops in Iraq.. Feel free to stand in front of them.

I like a bull with great tops. Big, wide bez and shovels score higher, but lots of long points up high give me the happies.

A bull doesn't get a fully white mane until 4 years old. Bulls typically live to 8 or 9 in the wild.

Quote Originally Posted by Akres View Post

Beer out the nose!
    ><((((>.`..`.. ><((((>`..`.><((((>

"People who drink light 'beer' don't like the taste of beer; they
    just like to pee a lot." --Capitol Brewery

I was stalking a couple of bulls yesterday with marginal tops, but massive bez and shovels. I was very impressed at the lower bez and shovels on one of the bulls, and really wanted to get him because it was so unique. He had 7 or 8 long points off of each bez, and they were widly palmed out.

That's the thing I love most about bou hunting is that the racks provide such a wide variety.

Default Tops

Get a mounter, meat is marginal IMO if you're looking for bottoms get a Woodland before they're draw.

Gooch
    Mike
    www.coffmancoveak.com
    Prince of Wales Island